AVG 7 Pro, ZIP..RAR??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mikel108, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Hi,

I have been complaining on this board about a problem I had with AVG 7 Pro missing viruses that were picked up by online scans. These were viruses that were in the Temporary Internet Files and were usually exploits. Someone suggested to me to do a format and clean install to see if the operating system was corrupted, which I did. So I took the PC out for a cruise last night to some nasty places to see what it would pick up. Afterwards AVG reported that there were no virses found, yet Bitdefender Online Scan found several, again in the Temp Files. I decided to take this up with Grisoft.

Firstly, their support is quick. My first email took 25 minutes for them to respond. The second took about a hour. Not bad!

They asked for me to send them the files in a ZIP or RAR file that has a password. Thing is I do not know how to do this. Could someone please tell me how to put the files in a Zip or Rar folder, or point me in the right direction. They also wanted me to send my MS Windows version number. I take it that it is listed under My Computer and is a Date (Mine says 2002).

I am sorry if this post is in the wrong section of the forums, but I was not sure where to put it, since it is both an Anti Virus and Software question. I have always got great advice here so thats why I came here first.

Thanks a million.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Some good information here on sending malware samples;

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=33514

For the Windows version number;

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, double-click System.
    3. Click the General tab.
    4. Locate the version number under the System heading.

3. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

First go to http://www.winzip.com/ and download winzip and install it.

Then to to your file, RIGHT CLICK it and a select 'winzip' and then 'add to zip file'

Then click 'password' and choice a password.

Then click 'add' and a zip file will be created with your file inside.

Send this to AVG and don't forget to tell them the pasword.

These instructions are for WinZip version 8.1

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Jlo

4. mikel108

Bang On! Blackcat.

That link points to perfectly explained info on dealing with viruses and Zip and Rar files.

Many thanks to you too jlo for the fine additions!

5. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Glad it helped!

I think BlackCat had the best link! Would have saved me a lot of typing :D

Best Wishes

Jlo

6. TAP

TAP Registered Member

If it is a real virus/malware and it has dangerous payload so they will be added into AVG's database as soon as possible. But please don't expect that all stuff you/we sent will be added into AVG's database, in a pass few months I've sent so many malware such as adware, spyware, exploit html and others malware to its virus lab but some of them are still undetected by AVG even those malware are detected by most AVs.

It seems that AVG mainly focuses to detect real-dangerous malware or today's most damaging malware only and AVG deliberately doesn't detect adware/spyware as found on its site - http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5481/lng/us/tpl/v5.

So this would not surprise me that AVG always gets low or lowest overall detection rates in so many tests.

I think If you are low-medium risk user AVG should be fine if it runs well on your box but if you are high risk user you should harden others layered defence to implement AVG or consider other heavy AVs such as Kaspersky, McAfee.:)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  7. mikel108

Actually Tap, I do not think now that it is a lack of detection. To explain fully, as I have done in other posts, it seems that since I loaded SP2, AVG 7 does not pick up exploits and the such that are nesting in the Temporary Internet Files. I just did a format and clean install last week and re-installed AVG to make sure of no corruption. In another Thread titled JavaVirus by Hellcat he has a screenshot of his AVG test result and his AVG picked up viruses in the temp file, including a certain exploit that mine use to pick up but does not now since SP2. This is why I contacted Grisoft, thinking that it might just be something with my setup stopping the program from working right. I am guessing that this is why they want my Microsoft version number. It just might be a conflict. My end goal is to get AVG to pick up nasties that it did before. I highly doubt that they took these signatures away from their program...so what is causing it for me...and how do I fix it.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well AVG does lack certain area of detection. Its good enough for recent stuff and some old one,but in general its behind AntiVir and avast!.
    Don't know,maybe its their engine or something...

9. mikel108

Really stumped now o_O . It is just an old machine, and I do not want to buy the latest greatest thing as I only use this PC for the web. So I put my Avast subscription on it and scanned. AVG 7 Pro found nothing. Bitdefender Online scan found 8 JavaByte/Verifiers. Avast found nothing. TrendMicro Online Scan found 8 JavaByte/Verifiers. Now I am o_O o_O

Maybe it's something on the PC that stops AVs that are on the Computer from checking the Temp Internet files ??

10. mikel108

Before the legion af Avast users crucify me. I might have done something wrong last night in my tiredness. Maybe I did not reboot after loading Avast. or maybe it was because I had not done a VRDB yet.

But the Avast users win!! It found 6 more viruses in the Temp Internet files this morning. So it cannot be a flaw in the PC that is stopping AV's from scanning those files. It must just be AVG 7 Pro. This is after I let TrendMicro Online Scan delete 8 JavaByte/Verifiers last night.

Alas, poor Grisoft. I knew her well but had to let her go.

11. TAP

TAP Registered Member

What's exact name of virus that avast! found?

Viruses/malware can be found in temporary internet files but don't mean that you computer gets infected. Everything that you're surfing through can be placed in temporary internet files but if it harmless so you don't have to worry about it.

As I've said before, some AVs don't detect some exploit code (e.g. JavaByte/Verify, Exploit.HTML.Mht, etc.) itself but detect malware that are downloaded by exploit code instead, some AV don't detect spyware/adware that other AVs flag as virus (spyware/adware are not a virus by technical term) and it should be better handled by specialized antispyware such as SpywareBlaster, Ad-aware and Spybot S&D.

Please send stuff that AVG missed to its virus lab for further analysis. :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  12. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Have you setup AVG to scan all files, or left it at its default settings?

13. mikel108

Default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.