CWS.msconfig am i infected?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by iceni60, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just ran the new CWSshredder v2.11 and it found CWS.msconfig. ive looked at HJT and i dont have -
    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSCONFIG.EXE
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.31234.com/www/homepage.html
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.31234.com/www/homepage.html
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msconfig] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msconfig.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msconfig] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msconfig.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: o_Oo_O - C:\WINDOWS\system32\openme.htm

i do have -
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    which i allowed to run when i unchecked afew things with MSconfig yesterday.
    am i infected? thanks :)

i only did *scan only* and not fix

Attached Files:

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

CWS is one of those things that if you are infected with it, you will definitely know it.... It is probably a false positive due to the fact you are using msconfig to stop certain programs from starting up with windows.

Also, I can not stress this enough, CWShredder is designed to ONLY be run IF you DO have a CWS infection. You may use the scan only from time to time, but I highly recommend NOT using FIX unless you definitely have a problem.

HTH...

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, puff. i really dont ever use it, not since there was a F/P with a hosts file entery. i just did a scan only because i had updated it. thanks for the help. :cool:

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

DAMN!!!! I've used it (Fix) quite a bit (both the old and new versions).....BTW, It has never found anything. I wonder what damage I've been doing?
    :mad: :mad:

5. rhhodapp

rhhodapp Guest

what does CWS do to a machine?
    it's been found on my machine...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.