CWS.msconfig am i infected?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by iceni60, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just ran the new CWSshredder v2.11 and it found CWS.msconfig. ive looked at HJT and i dont have -
    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSCONFIG.EXE
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.31234.com/www/homepage.html
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.31234.com/www/homepage.html
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msconfig] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msconfig.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msconfig] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msconfig.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: o_Oo_O - C:\WINDOWS\system32\openme.htm

i do have -
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    which i allowed to run when i unchecked afew things with MSconfig yesterday.
    am i infected? thanks :)

i only did *scan only* and not fix

Attached Files:

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

CWS is one of those things that if you are infected with it, you will definitely know it.... It is probably a false positive due to the fact you are using msconfig to stop certain programs from starting up with windows.

Also, I can not stress this enough, CWShredder is designed to ONLY be run IF you DO have a CWS infection. You may use the scan only from time to time, but I highly recommend NOT using FIX unless you definitely have a problem.

HTH...

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, puff. i really dont ever use it, not since there was a F/P with a hosts file entery. i just did a scan only because i had updated it. thanks for the help. :cool:

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

DAMN!!!! I've used it (Fix) quite a bit (both the old and new versions).....BTW, It has never found anything. I wonder what damage I've been doing?
    :mad: :mad:

5. rhhodapp

rhhodapp Guest

what does CWS do to a machine?
    it's been found on my machine...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.