pgaccount.exe

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Snook, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snook

Snook Registered Member

Can someone explain the function of pgaccount.exe and is this supposed to always be running?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

:eek: :eek: :eek: :)

Yes basically pgaccount.exe handles asking the user when new executions occur. :)

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Strange, I get the message "pgaccount.exe is not running" in the ProcessGuard status box (and an error message about pgaccount when I start ProcGuard) yet Execution Protection seems to function OK. Pgaccount.exe is in the startup list and is listed as a running process in Task Manager.

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Does this happen one very boot, or just some?

6. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I downloaded and installed PG last night and today when I reboot PG does not seem to load. When I manually start it i get this error:

"Warning

A part of ProcessGuard (pgaccount.exe) is not currently running.
    When this part is not running ProcessGuard will be unable to handle execution requests."

Anyone know how I can fix this?

I am running WinXP SP2 and lots of programs with it...

7. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Well I solved my problem. I use Ad-Aware SE Pro and Ad-Watch was set to "Lock start-up seletion" under Tools/Options/Blocking Options.

8. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Be careful with that option in Ad-Watch. Turn off Automatic too when you turn off Lock Startup Sections. Or it will take the new RUN registry entry back out when turn Lock Startup Sections back on. At least it does on my Build 1.05 version of SE Plus.

Also if you have Lock Startup Sections off for an extended period without turning Automatic off, it will put you RUN registry back to where it was at the time you turned off Lock Startup Sections when you turn it back on <yuk>. :mad:

9. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Thanks for the info siliconman01. I don't think I will be using that option anymore.

10. siliconman01

It's an incomplete security option anyhow. It does not monitor programs being added to the STARTUP menu for ALL USERS or the individual users. All a malicious program has to do is add it's startup there and it can run amuck. :mad:

11. rickontheweb

rickontheweb Registered Member

I use Ad-Aware SE Plus 1.05 and have startup protection on all the time. As mentioned, it's important to turn off the Automatic check box in Adwatch, or it'll block every change which can be detrimental during an installation.

But I prefer to see what's being added to my startup sections and with the Automatic setting off, it prompts to accept or deny the changes. There are times I turn it off however during an install or update.

But I did learn early on not to leave the Automatic setting checked. It may not be perfect protection, but it's allowed me to stop some things from being added that I really didn't want going in there. But it can be a nuisance and interfere with installations if you are not careful.

12. siliconman01

Yes, I agree with you, rickontheweb, that some form of protection is needed for the startup sections. I use Spy Sweeper's (V3.2) option for this because it handles all startup sections correctly. Plus I use Spy Sweeper's Memory shield because Ad-Watch uses 8-10% higher CPU utilization with its memory protection on. Spy Sweeper gives a CPU spike every 30 seconds, but it is only for a second or so. This is my experience on XP-SP2 Home Edition anyhow :( .

13. tlu

tlu Guest

Jason, in my case it happens only when I start Procguard from my normal user account via "run as ..." but everything works as it should.

14. earth1

earth1 Registered Member

That seems to be what happens on my system too.

15. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

As with Tlu, it happens whenever ProcGuard is run from a non-Administrator account via Run As.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.