pgaccount.exe

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Oremina, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Haven't seen it mentioned (apart from in passing in one post,) but can I assume that pgaccount.exe running all the time in Task Manager, as well as DCSUserProt.exe, is how it is meant to be? It would appear so, but it's one thing I'd like to be sure about.

Thanks

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yes Oremina, the three running components are procguard.sys, DCSuserprot.exe & pgaccount.exe.
    Note: Even with all three running there is very low resource usage, in fact resource usage is lower than in version 2 ;)

HTH Pilli

3. Oremina

Thanks Pilli

Don't bother answering this unless I'm way off the mark (guess you've got your hands full at the mo) but I hope I'm right in assuming that, as in PG2, procguard.exe is not (not) running all the time but only when PG3 is up on the monitor and that when PG3 is closed the system is still protected by DCSUserProt.exe - the difference being that pgaccount.exe is also running.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Absolutely correct :)
    Processguard.exe is just the GUI and, providing that protection is enabled, does not need to be running for the protection to work, though you will not see any alerts.

Cheers. Pilli

5. Oremina

Thanks Pilli - happy now :)

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I might just add, the service now handles FILE LOGGING, so you will still get file alerts, whether or not you have the GUI running or not. So the GUI is not necessary for the protection of ProcessGuard. pgaccount.exe is used for popping up messages to ask the user certain things (like when a new or changed EXE runs).

So if you don't want execution protection you can stop that aspect and ProcessGuard will run fine without it. However, don't terminate pgaccount.exe, instead simply stop it from starting up and reboot. Terminating pgaccount.exe messes with how the structure of PG3 works and can lockup the system until you reboot. So the best bet if you want to get rid of execution protection is to simply remove the startup entry manually from the registry.

I don't think many people would want to run without execution protection anyhow, so if you want to and are having problems with what I discussed above, simply ask for more information. :)

7. Oremina

Jason - thanks for your input.. hope you didn't think I was considering dis'ing Execution protection, was just wondering what pgaccount.exe was and you've told me.

While I'm here, I am doing this post whilst on a disk image that has PG2 on it and it seems to me that this is using considerably less resources than PG3. At the mo DCSUserProtect.exe is using 960K having been 840K a short while ago whilst DCSUserProtect.exe and pgaccount.exe were using around 6/7000K between them when I was on my PG3 image... I'll check that when I go back to it.

Incidentally and slightly off topic, there doesn't seem to be an equivalent of "Flash Systray Icon on Log Event". I did like that. Posibly not needed on PG3 or done in a different way that I haven't sussed yet as it's all very new to me.
    Another minor gripe for me is that on boot up I don't like to be presented with the PG3 GUI open for me. On PG2 the first thing I always did after a boot up was to click PG's destop icon, have a quick shufti then close PG down, leaving only DCSUserProtect.exe in Task Manager to look after me, and I really liked it like that! :) I knew that the blue icon would alert me if neccessary.

However, I do appreciate the improvements (eg no more problems with Global Hooks and BOClean) so I'll persevere.

Regards

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Oremina, As this is a beta Jason has left out the bells and whistles so that we can concentrate on the driver stability and any compatibility issues.
    I am sure the things you mention will return for the full release.
    Regarding resources, there may be more memory used though this is small anyway, also rember that with learning mode your protection list is probably considerably larger which will use more memory but the CPU usage is much reduced.

Pilli :)

9. Oremina

OK Pilli - just getting a bit carried away with it all.. :D

I'll wind my neck in now unless something falls off! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.