NAV 2005

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jon_fl, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Has anybody tried NAV 2005? Feedback? Improvements? :cool:

2. the mul

the mul Registered Member

3. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Nobody has purchased this o_O Somebody must have some personal experience with NAV 2005.

4. the mul

If u want some good experience, then go with nod32v2, I am not nocking nav, but there are just to many complaints with nav and probably version 2005 is an improvement over previous versions, but for me u cant beat nod or kav and I have both.

Your friend

THE MUL

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I would like to know if it can make a boot cd that can scan NTFS WITH the latest signature updates.

I don't have it, but it seems like it has a little more bloat too with an inbound firewall.

6. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Thanks mul. What do you think of mks_vir 2004?

7. the mul

I am sorry, but I have never tried this av, so I cant really help u with any info.
    I did have nav 2003 av and firewall, but could no longer put up with the bloat ware of these programmes and I just removed them and went for kav as my main av and nod as a back up and I am happy with these av programmes and have had no problems with them.
    There are many good av programmes out there and many people will state that there av is the best, but no av is 100% perfect and It just boils down to your own induvidual taste.
    You can read many threads, on many av programmes, on many sites, but at the end of the day, as I said, It is up to u.

THE MUL

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures of the Wild(ers),

I have reviewed the links Mul has given. It is still very early and will withhold some of my thinking until more evidence comes forward. It looks like we have two flawed programs ZAP 5.1 known for it's problems. Now possible that Norton AV 2005 is either flawed or conflicts with cranky ZAP 5.1. At this point I would say I would not be so quick to blame NAV 2005 bloated as it likely is. Randy Bell states the best solution at this time. I suspect programs are turning on each other. I would love to hear from others on this.

9. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I have been using Panda Platinum, but decided to see what NAV 2005 was all about. I am also using ZAP 5.1.

I uninstalled Panda and installed NAV 2005. It's not a trial version. I use to use NAV 2003, so I just plopped down $29.95 to upgrade. I figured if it wasn't what I wanted, Symantec has a 60 refund policy.

I have been using it now for about four days with no conflicts with ZAP 5.1. My computer doesn't run any slower with NAV 2005 then it did with Panda Platinum. NAV 2005 also includes worm protection. In Options>Worm Protection, you can configure settiings for Program Control, General Rules, Trojan Rules, and AutoBlock Rules.

The one thing I still don't like about NAV, is that it only updates virus definitions once a week. I guess I can live with that, but..........
    I know you can download the dailies manually, but I think a top notch AV should be updating daily on it's own. JMHO. :) Symantec keeps adding new things to NAV yearly, why not daily virus updates.

Not sure yet whether I will stay with NAV 2005, or get my refund and go back to using Panda Platinum. I'm planning on using NAV 2005 for a couple of more days though. No rush to get rid of it. :)

Any comments on anything I've said are more than welcome.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  10. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Hi, this is my first post on this site.
    I have used both norton 2002 and 2004 and have to admit that I have had no problems with either. Out of boredom I have recently tried a few others, nod32 (didn't recognise eicar zip virus and support gave up answering me) kaspersky and lastly panda.
    Having not liked any of the above I have purchased the 2005 (upgrade is cheaper) and it installed very easily and is working well. I am using ax xp2000+ processor and 512 ram and have no performance issues with it. It has been the only antivirus I have been confident in using. And no, I do not work for Norton. Seems like a lot of people do not like Norton, but all I can say is it has been fine for me.
    I hope this helps someone.

11. Devinco

Hi rollers and Shaker.

Thank you for your opinions on NAV2005.

Could you tell me the following:

1. If you boot from the CD, can it scan NTFS?
    2. If you boot from the CD, how do you scan with the latest signatures?
    3. Within the program in Windows, can it make a boot CD with current signatures?

Thanks.

12. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Hello rollers. After reading you post, I had to edit what I said about the Eicar test. I went into NAV 2005 Options>AutoProtect, and realized I didn't have Scan Within Compressed Files checked. A big DUH!!! on my part. LOL. It now detects the eicar zip/zip2 files.

13. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

As far as NAV Live Update is concerned, do you think that new definitions are downloaded as they become available and it isn't necessary to check for new definitions every hour as some of the other AVs do? Most of the times when they check, no new definitions are available anyway.

Do you notice if NAV 2005 slows your system down very much? Have you trialed any of the "faster" AVs to make a comparison? Is it faster than previous NAVs that you may have had? :)

14. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Hi Devinco. I downloaded mine from the Symantec site and saved it to a CD, but I haven't tried any of those things yet. I know there are a lot of NAV users at the DSLR security forum. Maybe one of them can answer your question if no one here does.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security,1

15. rollers

To answer the question about whether or not it slows the computer, I have not noticed any slowdown other than what you would expect having anti virus installed. It certainly hasn't slowed to a crawl and I find it very acceptable even for playing games. The system full scan on 2005 is faster than on 2004. I think those people that have a comp slowed by norton perhaps have some conflict with software or their spec is not recent. I have no complaints about 2005, its easy, fast and effective, in fact the most effective AV that I have used.

16. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

rollers, what firewall are you using?

Have you installed SP-2?

I have also trialed many AVs, coming from NAV 2004. I really like mks_vir so far, but not sure if I'll change. The three most consistently rated AVs are KAV, which is consistently in the top 3, McAfee, which is also in the top 3, and NAV, which is somewhere between 5-7. All of the other AVs are scattered all over the place. You can find NOD32 ranked anywhere from #2 to 22 and even mks from 100% detection to 82-83% detection.

17. rollers

Hi John F1.
    I am using Zonealarm Pro, the latest one. There have been no conflicts. Also running SP2.
    I did run Nod32 but was rather disturbed at it not even recognising the eicar zips, even when opening them. If it does not recognise them, what else does it not recognise?
    Kaspersky was good but did slow my comp up noticeably. At least Norton has stopped everything thrown at it so far.

18. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I would guess a lot of NAV uses think that way. I know I used to when I used NAV on a regular basis. It's updated weekly, Wednesdays, but more often if there is some big virus outbreak. But when I started trying out other AVs and some, not all, updated daily, I started thinking maybe these other AV companies know something. While using Panda, I got used to the daily virus signature updates. Sometimes it would update the signatures twice in one day. So my question is, why do some AVs update virus signatures on a daily basis, while NAV and I think McAfee also, do so on a weekly basis? Maybe that is a question for another thread. :)

I haven't noticed any slow downs to my system. I only previous NAV I have is 2003. I can't compare 2005 to 2003 because it's been so long since I've used 2003. As far as Panda Platinum and a few others, I haven't noticed any significant slow downs.

19. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Go to task manager and you can set up live update schedule from there. I think default on 2005 is every 4 hours. If that's the case, you can set it up once an hour like KAV. I found this out after my last post. This would be a big improvement and if that's the case it may sway me to get 2005.

20. Devinco

Thanks Shaker. :)

21. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Do you mean Scheduled Tasks? If so, yes the default is every 4 hours. I might be wrong, but even if you schedule LiveUpdate to run once every hour, Symantec only updates through LiveUpdate once a week so it wouldn't matter how often LiveUpdate runs.

22. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Short of a virus outbreak, it would be a waste of time to check for new NAV definition file more than once a day. You could always download the latest definition at the Symantec website, but the download is around 10MB!

NORTON is probably one of the worst when it comes to customer support and virus def update. Go with McAfee if you must spend your $ on a big name AV vendor.

23. orthocross

orthocross Registered Member

I tried Norton Internet Security 2005 last week. It seems to be more stable than its ever been. However, it beat me to death with popups. So bad i had to uninstall the program.

I'll stay with ZoneAlarm 5.1.011 for now. It stays in the Notification Area, and doesnt bother me continually with popups

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Shaker is correct ;)
    Also I found Liveupdate to be very cranky. I was never successful at getting it to retrieve defs. on 90 day OEM trial AV 2004 with automatic update set it just would not work. Had to do manual. I think it is better to not link to MS schedule tasks. I did manage to get it to work on my other machine where I downloaded retail boxed disk after a bit of tinkering.

I have moved on from NAV. Just my desire to do so. *puppy*

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  25. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I got this reply from another forum:

LiveUpdate occurs automatically every Wednesday and also during critical viral outbreaks when there is a Category-3 threat on the loose. There have been times when we got two or three liveupdates in a single day due to new threats {Bagle, Netsky, etc.} being loosed in-the-wild. Last, you can also manually update by downloading the daily Intelligent Updater {IU}, and if you're really paranoid the rapidrelease defs are morphing on the hour 24/7. Some folks have created a batch file to d/l the IU or the RapidRelease defs on a scheduled basis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.