How to add custom CLSID's to block with SpywareBlaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Amibit, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amibit

Amibit Guest

Talk about a newbie! I haven't a clue as to what I'm doing. Just installed SpywareBlaster yesterday after dealing with the devil himself on my pc for the past 3 days. I also (hope I'm not doing a no-no here) added Spybot S&D. I even put up the Google toolbar to block ads. WELL, they both seem to be doing their job pretty good except I think whatever was in my system has moved in with all it's relatives. Something is causing highlighting of certain words on every webpage I go to and it has nothing to do with google or the webpage. Does anyone know what this is and what I need to put in as a CLSID in SpywareBlaster?

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Amibit, and welcome to Wilders.

No, you are not doing a 'no-no' by mentioning Spybot Search&Destroy and recommend you use it, as the developer of Spybot S&D recommends using SpywareBlaster. :)

As for the particular problem you are having with words being highlighted on web pages; it sounds like you may have been infected with IEPageHelper.

For more information on this, see:
    Symantec's write-up for Adware.IEPageHelper
    Trend Micro's write-up: ADW_IEHelper.A

Make sure you are using the most recent version of Spybot Search & Destroy, then try running it in Safe Mode and see if it removes anything more. But if you are still seeing those highlighted words on web pages, and if you haven't already, you can also try using Ad-Aware SE (we recommend using both), and see if Ad-Aware finds anything.

You can also do an on-line antivirus scan: Free Services

If after doing the above scans, you are still seeing the highlighted words, then it may take a more indepth review with posting a HijackThis log and manual removal instructions given by a spyware expert.

I am afraid we no longer allow the posting of unsolicited HijackThis logs as per our Posting Policy stated in this Announcement. However, you will find a link in the Announcement Post to several other sites that still do provide HijackThis log analysis service.

Whichever site you decide to go to, please be sure and follow their posting policy before you post your hijackthis log.

Please let us know how you make out.

Regards,

snap

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.