WindowsXP unable to come up after HiJack clean

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rugby1, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugby1

rugby1 Registered Member

Hello everybody,

I have been trying to clean up my son's computer with all of these trojans etc. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=39350 (please check this thread).

I haven't been able to reboot the machine cleanly for several days. It comes up to this screen that states that last shutdown wasn't clean and gives me options: Start Windows Normally, Last Known Good Config...., Safe Mode, Safe mode networking, Safe mode Command Prompt. The Safe mode does say Safe mode but there isn't any command prompt, and all the others go to a black screen, no blue screen.

I just tried to boot from floppys that I made yesterday, but receive this message: biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. error code 4096.

After the first cleaning I was able to use the internet, but the following day I have encountered these problems. Before the first cleaning my SysLink router was unusable because of a storm. I have replaced it with a Belkin, and after the first cleaning Saturday night, early Sunday, I was able to use the internet. However, the machine says that the network connection is unplugged. So, yesterday when the machine was up I tried to re-establish connection using Belkin's wizard to no avail. I do have a restore CD that came with this emachine that is two years old, and I'm ready to try and restore XP with that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. rugby1

rugby1 Registered Member

Hi,

We cleaned this machine of some nasty trojans(see previous post's link). I can't boot to blue screen(WindowsXP Home Edition). I tried using the restore CDs and receive a message: 'OAK TECHNOLOGY INc. OTI-91X CD-rom Device driver, Rev D91XV352 Device name GEMCD001' , which Emachine technician says that I should take it to CompUSA and have them wipe out the hard drive, and possibly replace it, because their restore disk can't see the C:\ drive. I'm able to get to the C: drive using 'Recovery Console' from floopy boot Install disks. So, should I pack this machine up and have CompUSA clean it, or is there anything I can do from the Recovery Console?

Thanks

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Rugby1

I don't know if you have seen this link or not. It is for XP Pro. It should work on XP Home.

It also sounds like your cd rom driver is missing. The floppy set set should install a generic driver for your cd player/writer unless it is damaged somehow.

Recovery Console

Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
  4. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi rugby1, I did do a search for the earlier error message you received:
    biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. error code 4096
    But the only link I could find was a thread here:
    http://daniweb.com/techtalkforums/showthread.php?t=2385

Not sure if you would find anything of help in that discussion, since your second error message, or not. But hopefully the link ronjor posted will be of some more help now that you're able to get into the Recovery Console.

Regards,

snap

5. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Rugby;

The recovery console is definitely the way to go. I would like to recommend that you use Norton Ghost to back up the drive if you can. The reason why I am recommending this is that sometimes, in your zeal to fix the problem, you can create new problems.

I just recently recovered my system from a major crash, and that is exactly what I did. I backed it up to another system, and then I worked on the system. My first attempt failed, so I restored, and tried again. I went through this cycle a couple of times until I found the real problem. Now the system is running fine.

Close Hauled

6. rugby1

rugby1 Registered Member

Good Grief, I was in Recovery Console and copied the system files from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Repair into system and now the Administrator password is not working, before I copied the file the password was blank. Now I have no idea what it is. Anybody know what the Administrator password is after you copy the repair system file over the current one?

Thanks

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Guessing that there isn't a password now. Just hit enter and see if that works.

8. rugby1

rugby1 Registered Member

That was the password before I copied the system file from /repair, now i don't know what it is.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Recovery console

If you can't enter a password, I'm not sure how to continue. I'll keep looking.

10. Close_Hauled

Rugby;

I wish that I could help. :doubt: Did you backup the drive? o_O

Close Hauled

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Disregard this post. Still looking.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
  12. Close_Hauled

Ronjor;

I am reposting that link, 'cause it has some useful information anyway. I was going to go to that site and check it out, when all of a sudden it was gone. So as a service to anyone else who is interested;

http://www.theeldergeek.com/recovery_console.htm

Close Hauled

13. Close_Hauled

14. Bulldog

Bulldog Spyware Expert

Is it the RC Administrator password or for normal Windows mode ?

If it is the RC..try this. It is a good idea anyway.

change the second value under this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

SecurityLevel from 0(zero) to 1(one)

Reboot to RC and you will not be asked for a password.

15. Close_Hauled

Rugby;

I just tested this boot floppy on a Windows 2000 PC and it worked at reseting the admin password. Set the password to a blank password, do not enter a new one, or you will screw up the admin account

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bd040116.zip

Close Hauled

16. rugby1

rugby1 Registered Member

Thanks, but I have Windows XP Home edition. I tried it and it stops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.