Avast.de Hacked And Defaced – 20,000 User Accounts Leaked

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by King Grub, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

2. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Ugly, even though Avast never owned this domain (it belongs to a German reseller of the Avast products).

Thanks
    Vlk

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

:eek: A notice to affected customers is urgently required!

4. bob3160

bob3160 Registered Member

This is the site of a Reseller it isn't Avast.
    There is a difference.

5. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Still, not everybody knows that....

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Title of this thread could of been a bit more subtle,:shifty:

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

LOL it is always the resellers sites that gets hacked, it's time they shape up, or the vendors may not be too happy keeping them as a reseller for much longer :)

8. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

It is the headline of the website article.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

And is completelly wrong. Only avast! webpage is avast.com. All the others are given to distributors. So you can't say avast! webpage got hacked if its not an avast! webpage...

10. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Thanks for correcting that...as usual, false media reports deceive the reader.

11. The Red Moon

An avast team member in post 2 has made everything clear so why still the big debate?:mad:

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Because Wilders is a typical internet forum, and as such often displays the same type of behavior as all other internet forums?

Anyway, I'm glad Avast itself didn't get hit. But yeah, this happens way too much to these resellers. Moral of this story should be always put in some fake phone number (No vendor is ever going to call you until and unless you call them first. Why no one understands this I don't know), use 10Minute Mail or a similar service whenever you can get away with it (probably 80+ percent of the time) and for the love of God stay away from the gigantic bulls eye that is PayPal. If a vendor or services forces PayPal, look for another alternative service before you bite the bullet.

13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Interesting discussion re semantics, isnt the point that users trusting of the name AVAST have been totalled. ??

Seems pretty serious to me.

It looks like this is a business passing $$ back to Avast

From and end users perspective, i would think that Avast does in fact have some responsibility for conduct of resellers/agents.

Compare this to any retail set-up.

14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

There's quite a difference between bad conduct and bad security. Avast isn't and can't be held responsible for the bad security practices of some other company. Of course it's giving money to Avast..it's an affiliated, authorized reseller. User trust in Avast could not reasonably be "totaled" for the very reasons I just mentioned. I don't know why this is so shocking, all of these hacks and stolen data instances have been a long time coming. Websites have suffered from lazy, inexperienced devs since the WWW came into being and the progression of data collection has made hackers grin from ear to ear.

15. The Red Moon

It is comments like yours that dont make the issue any easier.Go to the avast forum and ask for clarification instead of false scaremongering.:ninja:

16. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I thought we were dropping this discussion since an Avast member made everything clear? :D Regardless, Longboard's post wasn't "scaremongering", it's just incorrect. This isn't an "Avast issue", so I think it needs to stop being treated as one. Some 3rd party reseller didn't have its ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ together and now customers are paying for it. That's the story in a nutshell, and a story that's become so common it has almost gotten as funny as it has sad.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013
  17. Longboard

Correct, thankyou.

I use Avast on my Android devices.

Everyone here understands this is not a trust issue for the product or Avast itself.

The problem as noted is with the reseller and its' security.

However, if there is a commercial relationship with resellers then it behooves the parent compant to be aware of potential issues with same.

No argument there.
    I note that Procello http://www.procello.de/ is a reseller for other well known brands.

I am not sure their web devs are lazy and inexperienced ??

I am sure their security will be scrutinized by all those companies !

The story suggests that it was the Avast distribution page that was hacked which I suspect will cause Avast to , heh, "make some enquiries".

I bet the other vendors are having a few meetings too.

We all know that data security is a major issue for all of us at many levels.

18. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Agreed! Who ever wrote the original article should have known better!

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I dont think the title of the thread and article is wrong.
    I mean the tile is "Avast.de Hacked And Defaced – 20,000 User Accounts Leaked" and the reality is that Avast.de was indeed hacked and user account information leaked, the only problem is that the website does not mentions that Avast.de is only a reseller of Avast products. :rolleyes:

20. Longboard

Procello has responded
    http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=de&to=en&a=http://www.procello.de/

From my POV this is finished.
    Good discussion as ever.

PS: just a little extra:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/12/avast_reseller_breach/

And

http://onsoftware.en.softonic.com/german-avast-distributor-hacked-leaking-customer-details

Sounds like Avast is on the job: somewhat frosty relationship with one of it's resellers ?

OK: enough from me: thx.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.