My backup strategy

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Mrkvonic, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Here's one of the more important guides you will ever read: a long article about computer backup strategy, including strategy as a whole, evaluating risks, survivability, importance of multiple backups and offsite storage, system imaging and data backup tools and utilities, anti-theft measures and encryption, disk health monitoring and SMART data, backup and restore testing, mobile devices considerations, real-life examples, other tips, and more. Enjoy most profoundly.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/backup-strategy.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Dick99999

Dick99999 Registered Member

It's a nice overview, I think. I find it a bit limited on backup choices en security choices though. I know that when playing tennis, 15 all means both. In backup and security I'd expect a choice of more than 2.

3. Mrkvonic

In what sense?
    Mrk

4. Dick99999

Dick99999 Registered Member

As mentioned in this thread I looked at various backup programs, and came up with just one (and a half) that met only 6 of my (realistic?) requirements. So a choice of backup programs and guidelines in which scenario to use it could be added, I think.

And for security, I only see a Truecypt option, which in itself is an excellent program, I think . I use a similar one (DriveCrypt) a lot for some 7 years now.

For backup,however, Truecrypt is just one solution. If a backup includes encryption, why would I use Truecrypt? And I think for some of the cloud services it does not work (efficiently).

5. Mrkvonic

You shouldn't use anything you don't want.
    It's MY strategy - read, digest, apply if applicable.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.