My backup strategy

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Mrkvonic, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Here's one of the more important guides you will ever read: a long article about computer backup strategy, including strategy as a whole, evaluating risks, survivability, importance of multiple backups and offsite storage, system imaging and data backup tools and utilities, anti-theft measures and encryption, disk health monitoring and SMART data, backup and restore testing, mobile devices considerations, real-life examples, other tips, and more. Enjoy most profoundly.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/backup-strategy.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Dick99999

Dick99999 Registered Member

It's a nice overview, I think. I find it a bit limited on backup choices en security choices though. I know that when playing tennis, 15 all means both. In backup and security I'd expect a choice of more than 2.

3. Mrkvonic

In what sense?
    Mrk

4. Dick99999

Dick99999 Registered Member

As mentioned in this thread I looked at various backup programs, and came up with just one (and a half) that met only 6 of my (realistic?) requirements. So a choice of backup programs and guidelines in which scenario to use it could be added, I think.

And for security, I only see a Truecypt option, which in itself is an excellent program, I think . I use a similar one (DriveCrypt) a lot for some 7 years now.

For backup,however, Truecrypt is just one solution. If a backup includes encryption, why would I use Truecrypt? And I think for some of the cloud services it does not work (efficiently).

5. Mrkvonic

You shouldn't use anything you don't want.
    It's MY strategy - read, digest, apply if applicable.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.