Tell me why?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by STV0726, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Tell me why the company that use to have one of the best products now has one of the worst in terms of actual protection?

Tell me why some other folks are saying threads asking why get closed or deleted immediately? That's not right.

Not a good model to set out for, ESET. Why don't you instead model after a company like Webroot (acquired Prevx) that which takes pride in being as open and transparent as possible and if they score less than great on a test they assure their customers the issue is being dealt with and share as much detail as they can as to what happened.

Perhaps it's not my business since I haven't used ESET in years...but I was quite a loyal fan for a good year in 2008-2009, and I'm frankly just sad to know that the ESET android guy is now squishy as a nerf ball.

Please ESET, turn it on again. :'(

P.S. "Turn it on again" does NOT mean have someone make an official unofficial excuse and reply with some BS. I think customers, let alone at this point, have the right to know why ThreatSense has turned into ThreatSponge. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Your concern is appreciated but otherwise off topic in what essentially is a support forum.

3. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

Leaving NOD32

So Wilders "Official ESET Support Forum" does not tolerate posts that refer to poor ratings of ESET products by respected independent testing websites. Such threads are promptly closed:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=324897
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=324813

This despite the fact that this forum claims to be about "discussions related to current NOD32 releases". The reason given is that the criticisms do not conform to the purpose of a support forum. What a load. Wilders should be ashamed of supporting such a policy.

As a long-time NOD32 user I find this policy unacceptable. Any support forum worth its salt accepts criticism. I have cancelled my NOD32 over this issue.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Re: Leaving NOD32

If the posts were not tolerated or if criticism of the product was somehow frowned upon then there would have been no trace of the posts. Yet they are here. Off topic post will not be allowed.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This thread was not closed by ESET's moderators; we are strongly against any censorship when bad posts would be removed just because they express negative experience or concern unpleasant results. I can assure you that ESET has been analyzing the test seriously. Unfortunately, we're yet to clarify the methodology with the author but so far it seems that most points missing to reach certification were caused by the fact that certain registry values created by malware were not removed during the cleaning. However, our analysis of the samples used in the test set has shown so far that actual malicious files were removed fine and no error message about the missing file was reported by Windows either. That said, not removing these registry values had no impact on the security of the oper. system so the cleaning was successful even if we didn't get points for that.
    Once we've heard from the author of the test and make final conclusions, we'll let you know. So far it doesn't look like ESET left the computer compromised in more cases than the competitives awarded by certification.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  6. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Your transparency and willingness to explain and be understanding of our concern is very much widely appreciated. :thumb:

You have my utmost respect.

Thank you, sir.

7. hopetobe

hopetobe Registered Member

With repect to the repair of EAV, I am wondering how eav can repair a TDSS detected as "win32/krptik.xxx". I personally think the name of such detections means EAV actually doesn't know that it is a "win32/Olmarik" and then how can it go through the repair procedures properlyo_O?

But the most annoying situation caused by eset's weak repair ability is that EAV can not repair most of the detection of Marco virus infected documents. What eset can do is simply to move those infected words, excels,and ppts into Quarantine!!!!

Don't you know that thousands of important documents for an enterprise can not just be handled like throwing away?

Don't you know the pain that after a usual weekly scan, almost all the excels in our 1500 endpoints are quarantined, which leaves almost all the staffs unable to edit their documents because the files have suddenly gone?

Don't you know that before the detection was added, the daily work of the company was at least going on? While after that stupid scanning, about 30% of the staffs daily work has to be stopped, which might have cost great loss to that company!

You may argue that if the company upgrades the Ms Office to new 2010, it won't happen. But will ESET pay the price for the update?

I bet there are still several macro viruses that haven't been detected by eset yet and I am just watching who is the next victim of the poor repair ability!

Don't you believe? Look at this:
    https://www.virustotal.com/file/85e...db40fe5f4e4427bf80cf3b3c/analysis/1338003638/

The reason that I am staying with eset is only that I used it from NOD 2.5 and I have a 3 year paid licence which hasn't expired.

ESET, you are really hurting me!!!!

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It wouldn't make any difference. Once a file has been detected, it can be removed as well. I'd suggest contacting ESET's Customer care or Malware Research Lab if you're having issues removing it.

Malicious macros are removed from documents and the documents themselves are not moved to quarantine:
    file.doc - W97M/Marker.C virus - cleaned - quarantined

This file does not contain any macros but I'll pass it to the Malware Research Lab for further analysis.

9. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Using other AV, I have to reconfigure the Network settings, Rebuild my custom Hosts file, disable Windows services such as AutoPlay, which I dont use, etc... Only because the AV has reset all Windows settings to defaults after a Malware Cleaning. Grrr!

I am happy that ESET products uninstall malware using only registry entries necessary for that purpose.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I agree with that. I see no reason to delete or modify anything which doesnt pose a threat.

11. hopetobe

hopetobe Registered Member

Is EAV able to repair while not just delete the excel?
    PLs Test.

-http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59254725/infectedexcel.rar

I don't need it to be repaired any more, because I solved the problem myself about a year ago. But it tormented me at that time.

I think any file and document should be carefully repaired or not just deleted, because they may contain important information. They are not softwares that you can downloaded once again!

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I am using ESET 6.0 Beta on a family shared PC Along with AppGuard and one of my kids lowered AppGuard settings to install something and ESET on two seperate occasion had saved the day. It picking up some trojans and safely quarantined them.I can't say that detection has slipped or has gotten better, I just no it has worked and kicked into action when it needed to.

As far as deleteting or closing a thread that are not in favor of ESET, It really helps no one or serves no purpose when it turns into a bashing thread.I dont think it should be deleted for constructive criticisim but most are not constructive but more of destructive.Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Does ESET need improvement, yes sure it does but also has good things going for as well.Just my 2 cents again.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It's nice that this thread is open again!

And many thanks for your answer Marcos, too bad you couldn't give an answer before it was closed the first time.

And as everyone else I am also looking forward to the final conclusion of the analysis. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.