Port 1088???

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by wankster, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wankster

wankster Registered Member

Does anyone know what port 1088 is used for? SMTP server pinging? Either way, it pings my machine about 2 times a second as long as I am connected. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Wankster

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

While ports have some common uses, these are by no means any guarantee that that is what is happening on those ports. When you are confronted with new "blocked alerts" from your firewall (which is what it sounds like you are saying here), it is best to post several examples of your firewall log in order for people to help you in analyzing the traffic. (By convention, it is common for people to just X.X.X.X their own IP addresses prior to posting logs on forums.)

Last edited: May 11, 2004
  3. wankster

wankster Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. My firewall <Norton's 2003> actually did not pick it up I don't think. Or alteast it did not warm me. I use EtherDetect to review raw packets and see it there. Any ideas?
    Thanks again
    Wankster

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

No real idea here as it could be many different things... What are the circumstances? Are the packets always coming from the same source (IP address)? If so, do you know what that source system is or not? Is this LAN traffic or is it coming in from the Internet?

I see you have another thread over in the Firewalls forum, which is rightly where this one belongs. I don't see any benefit to having two threads regardless of the slight difference between the questions. Let's continue over in the other thread because: 1. it has a lot more info (and we still need more from you) and 2. the experts need to be able to see everything in one place to make analysis easier.

Two threads does not mean more info, in fact, it could mean less responses, not more.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=31888

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.