Wilders email notification & positioning to first "new (unread) post" in thread

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Greg S, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I have asked about this before with no response. The email notifications that I receive from Wilders do not work properly for me. When clicking the link in the email, it goes to a reply from on preivous pages. Each new notification always takes me back to the same earlier reply. This will continue until the IE temp files are cleared and then it starts all over again with new email notifications. Any ideas on how to fix this?

When I click that, it takes me to https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1971508&postcount=520

but it should be taking me here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1973516&postcount=584

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re: Wilders email notification

I've checked all that I can think to, and just can't find a problem with the forum. Unfortunately, I don't have a system running IE9, per your previous thread, so, I can't test that.

IE8, and recent Opera and Firefox versions, all bring me to the correct "unread" posts when I use one of those "goto=newpost" links. That is not surprising because the "newpost" function is actually resolved in the forum database, using read post markers, a member's last activity time, and the time "new posts" have been posted into a thread. (It's a double hit on the webserver. First to ask what the unread post number is in the thread. Then a 301 redirect to that specific postid location.)

It's interesting that you say clearing IE temp updates where you land in the next new thread read. That makes me wonder if it isn't some kind of new IE9 filtering or privacy setting that is preventing the forum from responding with the right postid. Almost like IE is converting over to using session info only, not stored database permanent data - like converting to session cookies from permanent, or similar. I don't know the new IE9 security and privacy feature set, so, I can't say where to look for the problem. My best guess is some setting related to trust level and/or filtering, being performed on accesses to this domain.

3. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Thanks, I forgot to mention that it not only happens on my laptop but all PC's here at the house which would be mine, my work laptop x64, my wifes laptop and net book and one of my daughters laptop. I'm stumped, lol. I've tried comparing IE9 settings between all and can't find anything concrete. Reckon I'll take a snapshot and go to disabling options with IE9 and see what happens.

4. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Ok, didn't take long and my first guinea pig option was disabling Internet Protected Mode. So it appears that Protected Mode is the culprit. I wonder why? Turning it off and clicking new post links will take me to the latest post. Turning Protected Mode back on, and using the same new post link takes to the a post four pages earlier than the latest reply.

Edit: Well I'm not for sure now if it was Protected Mode. In Gmail, I am using html basic view. I switched to Gmail Standard view with Protected Mode enabled and Gmail Standard View works. Now I'm really confused

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Greg S, I tested my IE9, with Protected Mode enabled, and using the quoted link in your first post, it takes to that thread's last post (which is #595 at this moment), as it should. Just FYI.

6. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Thanks, I've now determined that it has something to do with Gmail being set to html view but I don't understand it. I use Windows Live Mail as my email client. The issue is with both Gmail web based link clicking and the same email link clicking within Windows Live Mail. I thought that I had it fixed by switching to Gmail Standard view and it does work fine doing that but the first time that I use my Gmail favorite which is for Gmail html view, it reverts back to the issue. I'm still playing with it though.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

8. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Thought I had it fixed by switching to Gmail new look. Clicked your email notification and I'm right back where I started from. So now I'll go back to disabling Internet Protected mode again and see.

9. reldel

reldel Registered Member

Have you ever used Sandboxie? I've seen a similar problem after uninstalling Sandboxie. This I believe does involve protected mode and IE9. Sandboxie turns off protected mode, when protected mode becomes active again, some Wilders "new post" information gets screwed up. In my case it usually is only on threads with many post counts that I see the problem, I haven't found a solution other than reinstall Sandboxie.

10. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I did at one time way back yonder but quite sure that I would have taken a snapshot prior to testing it. I feel Protected Mode is not a cause of this now. Still playing around with it but the reason I thought it had something to do with it was because the new mail links would work after turning it off. Turning off Protected Mode and back on has the same affect as cleaning the IE temp cache although not as thorough. It cleans just enough for me to have to sign back into Wilders which means it works until the next email notification comes in. I'm now thinking that it's Crap Cleaner with the way it saves cookies for non deletion although I have deleted the cookie for Wilders many times to no avail. It is still just good for the first email notification. Malware Defender is showing that after disabling Protected Mode and signing back into Wilders that a few mail.js scripts are written to disk. Maybe it is these that are being corrupted some how. Just can't get a grip on it.

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This is interesting. While I don't know what that specific product is doing by saving cookies, I do know that local cookie values are also used by the forum software to calculate what is considered the first unread post in a thread for a member.

Remember what I said above... the "goto=newpost" parameter in the URL is used by the forum to calculate where to position you when returning to a previously read thread. It's a calculation involving a number of data points, including member information stored in the database as well as values stored in local cookies in your browser.

Local cookie values can override what is stored in the database to determine what is a "new" post to you. I just tried this using a test account that hadn't logged into the forum in months. I was reading threads with a different browser as a guest. I then logged in to the test account and checked several threads using the newpost links. That member account had never read any of the threads since they were created weeks or months after it's last login. But, the cookies from my guest session, plus last activity and a few other params, were used and I was positioned into the threads at the posts that were new since I last browsed them yesterday, as a guest, from that browser. The cookies in my browser overrode the member read thread markers from the database.

If you are somehow reviving an "old (frozen?) cookie" it can definitely cause unexpected results when its values are factored into the calculations used to determine "where you are" in your browsing of the forum. Thinking about it... you could be getting old/out of date timestamps from your local browser, and those values are used by the "newpost" function to position you into an ongoing thread, but, putting you at the wrong place in the thread.

12. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Now I need to figure out how to rid my system of the old and reappearing cookie(frozen). I also think it becomes frozen after each cleaning. In other words, it updates itself to the date of the last cleaning and freezes it until the next cleaning. Hmm, can't get rid of the attachment for some reason. Sorry about that

Attached Files:

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Greg S, can you untick MS Search on CCleaner, under Applications, reboot PC, and try again? Report back.

14. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Interesting that you bring this up. Crap Cleaner also has a way of mucking up the pinned item jump list and indexed search items/history which are both related. Index.dat and Jump list is unchecked but I don't see an entry for MS Search.

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Version 3.10.1525 (August 25th) introduced MS Search. I assume you are running an older version? If so, it's OK; my MS Search suggestion was worth a shot.

FYI. Had to untick MS Search because my SearchIndexer.exe was going nuts every day, rebuilding Indexing. Known issue.

16. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

As bad as I hate to, I'm going to use the Internet Options for cleaning History/Temp/Cookies and see if this will help. The only reason I use cCleaner is to maintain certain cookies so I don't have to sign in again to alot of forums. I'm too old to remember all the usernames/passwords. I wish that there was an app that could retrieve all that info before using Internet Options method of cleaning.

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Greg S, knock yourself out: Windows Password Recovery Tools. :D

18. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

The index.dat File(s) are Corrupted

From an Administrative Account:
    Keep the Cookies that you wish to retain (or start fresh) and Delete the following index.dat files from:
    Local service
    Owner
    Your Account Name

Cache Folder:
    \temporary internet files\content.ie5\index.dat

Cookie Folder:
    \cookies\index.dat

History Folder:
    \history\history.ie5\index.dat
    \history\history.ie5\mshist...\index.dat (for each day of history if applicable)

The OWNER Account exists one other folder:
    \UserData\index.dat

Reboot the computer and Microsoft Windows will rebuild clean index.dat files.
    Also note that index.dat is an Hidden File.

HKEY1952

19. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I'm sure I know the answer to this but will ask anyway, can I keep all IE temp files, cookie, history and just delete the index.dat files for rebuild? Thanks

20. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

You are Welcome Greg_S

YES, you may delete the index.dat files only, however, as technical advice, start fresh. Any of the files could be corrupted.

HKEY1952

21. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Wilders new email notification(update)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=312232

Finally found out for sure that it is CrapCleaner causing this. Recently got a MacBook Air and installed Ccleaner for retaining cookies. Before installing Ccleaner, new notification links worked fine. After installing Ccleaner and adding cookies into the saved/keep cookie column, new email notifications stopped working as intended. So, I selected all saved cookies and moved them back to the column, "Cookies to delete" and the new email notification links began working again. Must be, as some said in the linked post above, the way Ccleaner stores these saved cookies that causes the issue for me. I realize this is not news worthy by any means but wanted to mention it just in case anyone else ever had the problem.

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Merged Threads to Keep the Same Topic in One Place, for Future Searches.

Greg S, glad to see you found the issue. Thanks for posting!

23. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Thanks, I tried posting in the other thread but it wouldn't let me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.