Is an AV necessary with Mac OSX?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Jo Ann, Sep 5, 2011.

?

Is an AV necessary with Mac OSX?

1. Yes

70.0%
  2. No

30.0%
  1. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

My daughter will be off to college with a Macbook, so I'd appreciate your input (please post the basis for your opinion).

Thanks!

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yes, and it's simply because Macs are now actively being targeted. Mac users went a long time feeling fairly safe, but that's over.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

You may as well. I don't know anything about mac security products but go for the one with the lowest FP's since she likely won't run into a real one anyways.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I agree with you but you didn't vote. But then neither did Hungry Man.

5. Hungry Man

Was there a poll this whole time? o_o

In this case I'd say yes. In most cases I'd say no. I voted no.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

iMac people will tell you on the iMac forum that they don't need no stinkin' AV because Mac doesn't get viruses. Mean while there are at least 3 AV's made specially for Mac. I can remember 2 which are Sofos and Clam. I voted yes because I would rather have an AV that never picks up an infection than not have one and get caught with my pants down. :ninja:

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, I was sure I hit the yes button when I made that post. I fixed it :thumb:

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes it is. :)

9. shadek

shadek Registered Member

It is necessary. Macs are targeted these days. And also, is it really worth the risk of not running an AV when she's writing this big essay and BOOM, all data gone due to an infection?

10. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Yes it is.

11. Hungry Man

Macs aren't really targeted... there's a single toolkit out there and it really did not pick up that much speed.

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

As I have said many times before.

These days Av's are so much more than Av's. They include URL Blockers, HTTP Scanners, Behavior blockers, etc etc... so they might block an URL that goes to a newly released Malware for Mac OS X but we have no idea about that,
    except that the URL will be blocked and the infection prevented.

13. Hungry Man

And really that's the problem so much of the time. Huge bloated programs with more features than necessary that often do nothing but increase your systems attack surface (quite greatly as is the case most often with a large suite.)

Yes, OSX malware is increasing... but it was really more like an isolated spike. I think that this will happen again and we'll see it continue as a trend upwards but right now there isn't much to fear.

14. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I would run one, if I were to use a Mac.

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I stay away from the bloated stuff, so idk what you are talking about.
    Though since when wasn't these technologies necessary in an AV?

Increased attack surface or not, there isn't much inbuilt tools that one can use in Mac OS X, afaik. If you was referring to stay away from the 3'rd party has to offer again. :doubt:

That we know of, I would say.

16. Hungry Man

Any suite is going to have multiple modules (that's why it's a suite) and the more complex the more vulnerabilities.

Honestly, if there was some mac malware out there we would likely know about it.

Yes, I still say to stay away from third party apps. If your system doesn't need it it shouldn't have it. There are a few "exceptions" to this and none of them apply to OSX.

In this situation I'd say throw an AV on for the hell of it, better to be safe - really it's a judgement call as to whether you think that person can be responsible enough. For most people I don't think it's necessary and only introduces further vulnerabilities.

17. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

yes. although there is much less malware or virus written for macs then windows they still exsist.

For some reason people still think macs are virus proof,not saying you but a lot of folks out there.

18. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

I voted 'no' because my daughter used a Macbook throughout her college years without an AV and never had any malware infection. However, as she graduated 8-years ago I'm not surprised to learn that Macs are targeted much more now than they were then! So why not get her a copy of Norton Internet Security for Macs? ....'better safe than sorry'.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

There are some good Mac only Av's that are not Mac versions of established Windows Av companies.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  20. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I voted no, what you get is a product protecting you 99% of the time against Windows malware (not needed) and 1% of the time against OS X malware.

This is what Apples says about it: http://www.apple.com/why-mac/better-os/#viruses

If it was me, and I do have a daughter in college. I would wouldn't bother with it.

My daughter came home last year after 1st term with a badly infected Toshiba (Windows of course), She still has the same Toshiba, but with Linux installed. Clean as a whistle now. When that notebook goes, I will replace it with a MacBook.

21. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Sophos offer a FREE AV for Mac.;)

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think your Daughter got infected playing on line games etc. and has since learned where not to surf. I have had windows OS's since 1997 and have been infected twice. :)

23. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm pretty convinced that there is a freware version of avast! for Macs.

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Yes there is.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

There is currently a new version in BETA (that will be Free) that has been developed from scratch.
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=5.0

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.