Microsoft: 1 out of every 14 downloaded programs is malware

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Gobbler, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

WoW :eek: That's a heck of a lot more than i would have expected.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

And that's why screening downloads the way that Chrome and IE9 do is so important.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I find that number very hard to believe. I wouldn't even try to guess how many hundreds of files and apps I've downloaded over the last few years. None of them were malware. It does make me wonder just what their reputation based "detection" would say about a lot of them, but I'm definitely not going to install Internet Explorer and download them all again just to find out. I'd bet a good percentage of that "malware" is legitimate apps that they and their associates don't approve of.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

There's a difference between identified malware and programs without reputation. This is identified malware blocks from what I can see.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The internet is a dangerous place, as everyone here knows.

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Well, I've been using the internet for many (I forget how many) years, and I've always thought that the internet is as safe or dangerous as the user makes it.

I also find that number hard to believe. Without a breakdown as to "socially engineered" malware sites vs
    "legitimate" (so-called) that statistic has no meaningful value for the reader.

-rich

8. Hungry Man

The internet isn't as safe as the average user thinks and it's not as dangerous as the average wilderssecurity user thinks =p

9. culla

culla Registered Member

total ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ scare mongering :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
  10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Agreed.
    +1. :thumb:

:D :D :D

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I wonder if such "studies" will generate false confidence in a subset of users.

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I guess there will always be skeptics, even when the facts are presented, "malware attacks". This is identified malware that is on SmartScreen's list, unless you're trying to suggest IE8 also has file reputation. :rolleyes:

This is results taken from IE8 and IE9 which covers quite a broad spectrum of internet users, so it is believable.

Last I checked the definition of malware attack, it didn't equal "downloads without reputation". Also note "since the release of IE8", when reputation didn't exist.

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Most definitely.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
  14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Interesting article to say the least.

15. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

16. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Dermot7

Thanks for posting :thumb:

17. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'd be curious to see just what files it flags. Bet it would include P2P apps, unofficial upgrades, and other tools they don't approve of. I don't have IE9 and am not getting it, but it wouldn't take much to find out. If someone who has it would download, WinPcap, NMAP, KernelEX, and a few similar but legitimate tools, it would answer this.

I'd also question what they call a "malware attack". Reminds me of the old versions of NIS that alerted the user to every lousy port scan, telling them it blocked an attack. If I remember right, it called them WinCrash back then.

Making decisions based on reputation might be OK for those users who don't know one app from another and have no clue on how to tell a good app from a bad one. For any knowledgeable user who knows how to monitor an install, reputation is of no value.

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Has it taken into account the users of systems that they pull the results from?

Meaning, if they were to monitor my files, they would likely see very few malware samples, lets pretend and say 1 in 100. If they monitored my father-in-law, they might see the 1 in 14, or maybe even 1 in 5 :D

I have no doubt there are many malicous files out there today, but I have serious doubts that those type of numbers apply to any but the most basic of users - those who tend to click on the "You've Won!" prompts ;)

Sul.

19. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

That's right, no way in the world can those type of stats be determined from users who exercise common sense in their download habits.

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Elapsed will hunt me down for this but we are talking of users of Internet Explorer ;)

21. FlimFlam

FlimFlam Registered Member

It looks more like an ad for IE9.

22. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

LOL! good point :D

23. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Hmmm...;)

24. Hungry Man

If you have to "exercise common sense" than your security setup has failed.

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If that number is correct then there must be people out there downloading nothing but malware as I rarely see any. Does this number account for false positives? I have seen more of those than actual malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.