Opera 11 = Extensions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rdsu, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It seems that next version of Opera will have the most expected feature on it!!!

Opera 11 and extensions

This will lead much more popularity to Opera...

[Links added after initial post:]
    Opera 11 will have extensions
    The Video Demo of Opera 11 Alpha

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

3. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Excellent news.I'd guess that the single most requested feature has been for the addition of true extensions.:thumb:

4. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Ha...the Fastest browser now gets better.:D

5. PRUHDG

PRUHDG Registered Member

The only extension I need for opera is Modifyheaders like that of FF.:D

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

if opera gets extensions and enuff devs make extensions for it (like the FF ones i use, ESPECIALLY a dedicated lastpass extension comprable to the one in FF) then Opera will be my new official browser of choice :D

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Now if they would have just done this, oh, let's say a year or more ago, maybe they would be on more machines by now? This is good, don't get me wrong, and anything beats the hell out of the fail that is widgets. But, they are a bit late to the party, and, have no one to blame but themselves if this move fails to light a fire under more people. Ad-blocking and a "NoScript" add-on should be the very first move made by add-on developers. They also need to not pull the same stunt Chrome does with that whole "Due to Google not making available certain APIs or functions, this add-on will not work fully". It needs to be all or nothing, IMHO. If they do that, they will go a long way towards finally having people care about Opera, which in turn will make using the web in Opera not so much a trial and error experience as it is now.

I will certainly be watching this extremely closely.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

As a longtime Opera user. Since v6 at least. I am only for extensions if Opera vets them all, unlike Firefox. I don't want the most secure browser in the world turned into a swiss cheese browser. :ouch:

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Extensions can only cause the "swiss cheese" effect if you install them. And, in some cases such as Adblock Plus and NoScript, extensions can fill those holes up. An extension by itself can't harm security, it's crap coders and intentional maliciousness by the developer of an extension that does that. Also, if the vendor itself creates all the add-ons, I can guarantee that users will end up not being happy. Either they won't get extensions that add functions they want, or, if they do, it won't work the way they want it to. Users are the only ones who know what users want, leaving it up to the vendor will result in complaints and nightmares for Opera devs.

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And doubts I do have now. They were right, it does look more like widgets than actual extensions so far. That being said, we'll see what happens. That weather "extension" made me cringe, it took up a huge part of the webpage. Information from extensions should not be plastered all over the page you are viewing, it should be small but easily readable, and confined to either the bottom or top corners of the browser, IMHO. Most of what I got out of the guy answering the questions was "those answers are above my pay grade", lol. I didn't agree with the comment regarding security and speed problems with Firefox extensions, and I don't say that as a fanboy. It stands to reason that there will be malicious extension developers, and it stands to reason that if you load 20, 30 or more extensions, you're going to see speed issues. Opera can't "perfect" that.

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Fancy those comments when is not a frequent user.:blink:

I don't want any new Adblock extensions. Opera's urlfilter adblock is the simplest and the best adblock I can find.:D

13. firzen771

thats the beauty of extensions, nobody forces u to install them... so i dont see how this can be something to complain about really, people who dont want extensions can simply not use them and continue as if nothing changed

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I wondered when one of you would show up to start the defense. What does my not being on-board the Opera train have to do with my comments? You don't have to be a browser fanboy or a hater to understand and see the logic behind what I said. As said, if you don't want a different Ad-Block, you don't have to use it.

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

That's an assumption that nothing changed. If there is an Adblock extension, the simple and easy urlfilter option MAY be removed. Let's see.:D

16. firzen771

well why not wait to see that before complaining about something thats not even in existance yet let alone ever being stated anywer...

17. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Haha...me not complaining at all. It's the other person that's complaining even though he doesn't use much of Opera.;)

18. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Why are you complaining so much ?:p

19. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Why are you trying so hard to stop people from offering their opinion?

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Wow, you really have to ask that? By the way, I'm not "complaining", I first called you out for taking me to task for commenting about EXTENSIONS and when my reply didn't even involve you. Second, I don't recall any requirement of using software before one could comment on it, though, again, I wasn't speaking of your precious Opera, but extensions in general. I know these Opera threads are hallowed ground seemingly, but get off it. I've learned through here that you don't win arguments with Opera nuts, so this will be my last reply to you personally. Enjoy your evening.

21. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Me not trying to stop people from sharing their thoughts :D but there are a few of these notorious few members here :ninja: including yourself whose "opinions" if that's how you called them, are better off not shared.:blink:

22. Eice

Eice Registered Member

A commendable attempt at playing thought police, but I believe the job of deciding who gets to post what is up to the moderators, not the Opera fanboiz.

23. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Wrong. These notorious few including you decide what you want to post, not the moderators.:blink:

You've distracted this thread enough. Who's playing ?:p

Now back to this thread discussion.:cool:

24. Eice

Eice Registered Member

And the mods decide which posts stay. Either way, it's got nothing to do with you.

Sure, the same old act of calling for peace and order. Wow you're such a nice guy aren't you... except that you were the one who started the distractions via ad hominem attacks on people who were peacefully discussing the topic in the first place.

Again, nice try.

25. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

:shifty:

Back to this discussion thread.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.