Minimal Settings

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by JeremyWW, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

This may be a controversial post, but I'm looking for other users experiences with running NOD32 as 'lean' as possible. For me NOD32 actually already has minimal impact on performance (much less than other AV software I have tried) but I do inevitably notice a tiny bit of lag occasionally. Whatever your view on that, and bearing in mind that I'm a 'cautious user' (I don't download software from 'potentially dodgy websites'), I'd like to have a go at 'tweaking' NOD32 - after all, it does provide the facilities to do so! This is one of the things that appeal to me about NOD32 in fact, and although I reckon I could 'have a go' by thinking things through logically, I'd like to 'pick other people's brains' on this first.

Basically the only 'musts' for me are:

Http scanning
    Windows Explorer context menu scanning

The thing I'm questioning is - as I run a fairly 'tight ship' anyway, do I really need real-time scanning on program execution, network scanning (I have a NAS device), opening and closing documents, and machine shutdown. I run regular 'full' manual scans anyway and have two CD / DVD drives (no floppy disk).

Many Thanks in advance!

2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

As far as I know, the default settings are recommended in most cases as they provide a good balance between detection and performance.

Regards,

Mark

3. JeremyWW

Yes, I realise that. But 'good balance' is a subjective thing. I'm looking to tweak to max PC performance / minimal but still effective NOD32 protection, which the default settings are unlikely to deliver out of the box - inevitably they will err on the side of caution.

4. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

ESET security products are configured by default with maximum protection against malware.

Try this solution http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2229

scan only the most common executable extensions will allow you to better performance, but will add a minimal risk

Regards

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

6. JeremyWW

Thanks. I'm giving that a try.

Confession: Even as a paid up long term NOD32 user, I have tried most of the competition (just to compare) including MSE 2 Beta. I'm back with my licensed copy of NOD32 installed as it is the lightest weight AV out there with minimal 'interruptions' (just the way an AV should be). MSE 2 Beta is pretty good for free but, oh boy, does it ever cause lag...

7. siljaline

Selecting a gaming configuration would be the minimal settings I would choose, JeremyWW

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  8. piranha

piranha Registered Member

hard for me to understand why one install an AV but want to disabled some basic protection. With old or power pc, NOD32 is so light, just enjoy the default settings and you will be well protect

9. siljaline

The thread has been here for three days, recommendations have been made, we await the reply from the OP.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If there's a problem with performance when scanning specific files, just let us know and we'll investigate the cause. If nothing else, we could try whitelisting the file if it's actually clean which will effectively exclude it from scanning for all ESET users.

11. JeremyWW

No, I'm fine. I did reply above with my thanks for the advice. You can close the thread if you wish Marcos.

12. siljaline

Unless there are further queries or comments to your post, JeremyWW
    the thread will die a natural death.
    Again, glad to have been of assistance to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.