Languy99 tests, how reliable ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

He's just done a test with an illegal :D copy of Prevx -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx7vlH1FJ2A- against 15 possible malware www's he had listed. Some were dead so not all got tested.

d.gif

Prevx detected 8 and he clicked remove, but instead of waiting for it to do it's thing, straightaway he also clicks RUN again on the malware everytime :eek:

Also he ignores Prevx requests to do a scan after every infection o_O thereby preventing any possible extra detection and cleanup :(

Not only all that, but as in every other test of his i've seen, he keeps on running one malware after another, and then at some point complains his comp is slowing down :D

Furthermore after whatever AV he tests, he then uses other apps like MBAM/SAS etc to try and find what the AV missed. Any malware still found then appears to show these apps in a good light, and the AV in a poor one. Sure they found what they found, and kudos for doing so.

But hang on a minute, what if he didn't allow the test AV to delete what it finds, until after he runs MBAM/SAS etc and then see if they detect the stuff the test AV did ? The way he tests is always flawed in favour of the after apps, as well as multiple running of malware, and clicking run whilst also clicking Remove etc.

If he did the tests sequentially and independently one malware at a time, in the way i've described, that would be a LOT fairer and better don't you think ?

2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Don't worry, Prevx only let 1 link through (that was quite bad though: even Windows Defender detected it :D). The rest were all correctly blocked and removed by Prevx, that 8 results in the Prevx user interface are just the leftovers which it deleted after that scan after the pc reboot (after this removal he rebooted again and started running the on-demand scanners).
    About his methodoly: ofcourse such a test means nothing. But this ain't in the favour of the on-demand scanners in my opinion. Prevx got his chance to do the job and did that in a really good way (like I said previously only 1 thing slipped through). The fact he presses Run after Remove is not really important, since Prevx already deleted the problem, so clicking Run leads to a non-existing file (and thus gives a Windows warning).

The one file slipped through was one rogue located in the Windows Defender/Local Copy directory: it got detected by Windows Defender, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Hitman Pro. So buy the Prevx + Hitman Pro bundle and you got a great deal :D.

3. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Languy99 does great reviews, he did Prevx like every other one.
    I wonder if Prevx blocked everything would your comment be positive then :)
    There is no 100% protection for any AV , multilayer is the key.

btw what is the diff. running full scan after every detection and running it once later ?
    I really don't understand that.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The only persons reviews I've ever liked were Mrizos. He isn't affiliated with anyone and gives an unbiased opinion. Everyone else is just a wannabe.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would agree with that.

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

The review is what it is. Being on youtube, you can watch and make your own judgments.

In this case, I didn't feel Prevx did that bad. He says that it's zero day protection sucks, but really it caught almost every link. The instances Malwarebytes found where likely from one or two threats, not necessarily 5-6 things getting through. Compared against how most AV fair against a test of this type, that is pretty good. Especially since he tested it against a couple rogues, which are notoriously hard to identify.

He does make a great point though that Prevxs business model sucks, and they should give a proper 30 day trial, without having to ask a moderator or jump through hoops. They are the only vendor I can think of that operates like that.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

My first question is how'd he manage to get an illegal copy of Prevx? That things' license restrictions are so tight it comes close to paying customers being treated like THEY have illegal copies. On-topic though, this "Languy" is about as reliable, IMHO, as Windows ME (for you folks that had the pleasure to miss out on that, it was bad). I've noticed he has a thing for being very specific about the type of malware he chooses for the test, and then, when he picks them, maybe 4 out of 8 are actually still live links. And yeah, he makes sure to run a MBAM scan every chance he gets.

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Matts videos were nice, but I think the last one he did was over a month ago and it was of a fire in his backyard. He did a bunch of videos in the past, that provided him the following to be able to launch his blog/website. After launching that, he pretty much stopped doing the videos. I think he is more of a business man that a hobbyist, not that their is anything wrong with that.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Why would I ever trust anything done by someone using "stolen" software. That is foolish.

Pete

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Point taken, for all he knew the software itself was infected. LanGuy: "Prevx says I'm infected, let's test its ability!". A couple of minutes later, LanGuy: "Hmm, not good folks, Prevx isn't cleaning this. Let's go to MBAM!" A couple of minutes and a reboot later, LanGuy: "Alright! Good old MBAM came through again! Let's test Prevx on something....hey, why isn't Prevx working anymore?"

Btw, even with people who actually liked his reviews, didn't his credibility just fall over dead by using a hacked copy of security software?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Matt Rizos is not Languy99. Also, I don't believe Languy used a "hacked" version of Prevx. Rather I suspect one of his followers loaned their license key to him for his trial/test.

12. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

What do you mean by "stolen" ?
    How do you know that ?
    He said that his friend gave him license to test the product.
    As far as I know, there is no way you can clean the malware without proper and valid license key.
    Protection features can be 'bypassed' but I don't think 'Cleaning' can.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Sorry, the post above mine confused me, I'll edit it to make sure accusations go to the right place. Also, loaning a key I doubt would work unless that key had never been used. It's a PITA just to get Prevx to work again on a system it had previously been installed on, let alone an entirely different system.

14. burebista

burebista Registered Member

He's honest and said that he have a license from a friend. If he didn't say anything about license I guess you trust him, no? :rolleyes:

I saw a horrible slowdown (dunno if it's because PrevX), I saw a paid software without trial and I saw a software which misses 0 day malware in default config.
    For me is enough to never look at PrevX when you can have some free alternatives.

And to answer at thread title, for me languy is reliable.

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

:thumb:

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yep, my post is fixed now though :)

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Good Good:thumb:

18. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

If you read many of his youtube comments to other viewers, you'll see he isn't taking himself too seriously, or wanting to be the epitome of testing.

I watch his videos to see how a program is setup, see what type of alerts a program gives, see if it has behaviour monitoring, how quickly the alert appears, does the system freeze after an alert, is the webpage blocked first, is the program easy to use, and so on and so on.

Lot to learn from his reviews, but if you focus on virus removal, that isn't the point of his review for me anyway, especially with such a small sample.

Considering he's pumping out the reviews, as fast as people on wilders say, 'heard of AV XYZ?', personally, he's saving me a lot of installs and uninstalls, and others as well. I just watch his review, and think, 'nah, ugly, slow program, no thanks', or 'will install that on my next system'.

Agree he should wait between running each file, and the majority of users wouldn't open five files in a row, but if he's consistent, and does the same for all programs, than he is showing a degree of consistency....so to speak.

Overall, the good outweighs the bad. :)

Edit - as dw426 mentioned, he is a big fan of MBAM, but that's common nowadays as MBAM is what many forums are sticking to as the go-to tool. Here we use a variety of programs, but on other forums, MBAM is it. To his credit, he seems to be giving SAS and particularly, Hitman Pro a go too. Noticed he even uses CureIt, a-squared and others or secondary scans. Could his reviews be better? Sure, always room for improvement. Given the time frame? Not sure, probably not.

19. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Languy is one of my favorite testers on youtube hes very trustworthy. He just got a key to use thats all he didn't get a crack.

20. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

From what I read on another forum he is suspected of hand picking malware samples.

Also if I remember correctly Languy was the one who tested Panda Cloud once, it did good so he blamed bad samples and redid the test?

21. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Hand pick samples or not, even if you hand picked samples to ensure Norton got 2/10, would mean nothing to me if Kingsoft got 10/10.

10 samples should have no bearing on the justification for any security product. If it does mean a lot to the viewer, then they'll be changing security programs as often as a new video appears.

22. datarishik

datarishik Registered Member

I think Languy99 is one of the best standalone testers of security software on Youtube. While mrizos is equally good but his videos are too long and tend to get boring after a while.

23. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

The guys is extremely bias I've been reading one interesting thread at Comdo forums where he stated that the new PCLS Labs test is fishy and of course he did not provide any proof to the effect. Any test that does not portray Comodo in a good light is suspect or fishy according to him and the bashing of the product or the test will commence.

Somehow I feel sorry for the guy the reason I say this has to do with the fact he is a mod at Comodo forums and he himself must toe the line or he will get booted out. Any user or mod who does not fanatically support Comodo will be banned for ever. So in fairness what else can I expect him to do. :D

Thanks.

24. clocks

clocks Registered Member

He put himself in a bad position when he accepted an offer to become a mod at Comodo.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Wrong wrong... Languy99 rushes through his tests wich is irritating.
    And IMO he did become a YT partner for nothing since he still rushes through the tests.
    While Matt (mrizos) reads every popup and explains what's going on, and waits for the software to react before he moves on.

And Yes I do prefer the latter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.