Beware of FACEBOOK's new "LIKES" botton

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by true north, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. true north

true north Registered Member

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

What's FACEBOOK? :D

3. mvario

mvario Registered Member

4. mvario

mvario Registered Member

5. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

thats why you log out of facebook when youre done using it

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

The Opt-out FAQ, is here

* The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), seems to have the most detailed opt-out instructions compiled in one place as of yet. ;)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  7. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

It stuff like this and in particular "Instant Personalization" that keep me from joining Facebook. These things should be opt in not opt out.

8. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

yea i agree, but i joined facebook when it was just for college students without all that fancy stuff and it was better back then. but i still use it cause alot of my friends use it. of course i could just call them lol

9. chrisretusn

Well I guess I can recant my above post. I just joined Facebook. My daughter uses it, I really need to get smarter about it, so I joined.

My first few hours I went through all the privacy stuff and set them how I want them, They don't make it easy do they.

10. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

11. quintile

quintile Registered Member

Some really good points to think about BEFORE you join, then you don't have to try to delete your account.

Good article! Their aims sound very...unethical and unsafe to me!

12. chrisretusn

Yes lost of good points. I'm not all that worried though. Not much in my Facebook account. Must be my age but I just don't get what is so darn cool about Facebook.

13. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@chrisretusn

Absolutely NOTHING as far as i'm concerned, it's a privacy nightmare, if only people realised it.

The thing is, most just know about those aspects to it, or on ALL the other such www's, or even care when they are informed :(

Most young people feel that the more "friends" followers, comments etc they have on there, the more popular they "think" they are. Very sad to see how insecure so many of them are these days, and feel lost without it.

A friend of mine recently took his 3 girls on holiday abroad to a very nice sunny scenic location with great facilities etc for 2 weeks. The oldest at 15 was so bored and couldn't wait to get back home and on the comp to see how much "stuff" she'd missed and get "chatting" etc again o_O

One day they'll regret ALL that info/pics etc the've posted all over the place, too late then though :eek:

14. chrisretusn

CloneRanger,

I am with you there. One reason I joined it because of my daughter. I have only been a member now for a few days. I already have friend request from several of my daughters friends. I do know two of them, classmates of my daughters, not my friends. I just don't see a reason to add them as friends. Not my friends in real life, what make it different being on-line?

Some articles I found interesting. (Don't think they have been posted elsewhere yet.)

Seven Things You Need To Stop Doing On Facebook - Security - IT Channel News by CRN

Six reasons to hate Facebook's new anti-privacy system, "Connections" - Boing Boing

How To Keep Your Private Facebook Details Private « Forbes.com's The Firewall (I liked this one because it really highlights the problem.)

Nearly half of parents friend their kids on Facebook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.