MVPS hosts file

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dregg Heda, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

How does this compare with spyware blaster for IE and adblockplus, noscript, ghostery, cookie monster and better privacy for FF? If I am running FF should I go for the above combo or use mvps instead? Does mvps work with Iron? Does it function in a LUA? Thanks.

2. arran

arran Registered Member

I don't know why people still bother with MVPS hosts file these days. MVPS hosts file it is only as good as its block list.

Instead I would use Sandboxie in combination with adblockplus, noscript, ghostery, cookie monster and better privacy, this way you won't need to worry
    about surfing infected sites, you can go any where and not get infected.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

MVPS HOSTS file is good for blocking ads. HOSTS is not a security against malware.

For decent protection from malware, arran's suggestion is okay. Or forget all that stuff, spend a few dollars, & use DefenseWall.

4. Dregg Heda

I like the idea of mvps as it provides adblocking and supposedly blocks trackers as well. I dont always use ff and if it works with my other browsers (Iron and IE) then I think it would be a worthwhile addition. I guess my question would be how good is it at adblocking and blocking trackers? If I have it can I then do without adblockplus and ghostery on ff? What about spyware blaster on IE, can I get rid of that?

I am not looking for a primary line of defence but something complementary to block ads and parasites.

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

You can't compare as all these things work really different.
    First of all a hosts file like a kind of telephone book. DNS is converting a domain name, like wilderssecurity.com to an IP. Normally your browser does a DNS request to you ISP's DNS server(phone central), but if you have a hosts file it checks there first before requesting the DNS server. A host file like mvps contains all kind of ad and malware sites and gives them a dead end IP so they will not be loaded. But you can't rely on it for filtering malware sites as the only defense because it updates only once a month. Yes it works with iron and LUA, it is part of the OS, it works with any application as long as it connects to a domain, some programs connect directly to an IP and thus skip the DNS part. Spywareblaster fills the browser with blacklists of sites, cookies and activeX, but is also only updated two times a month. Adblock Plus blocks ads(and more, if you chose another subscription) on all domains(so also the ones not in hosts file and black lists.) NoScript blocks scripts, java, flash and others on all domains, unless you make them trusted. Ghostery blocks trackers on all domains, cookie monster deletes/blocks cookies, and betterprivacy deletes flash cookies. As you can see they all work on a different level and do different things and some block partially, others completely. The best would be a combination of those things, if you need to choose between all those programs/solutions and a hosts file, pick the first one, but I would use them together.

6. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Your hosts file will work with any browser. LUA is also no problem but you'll obviously have to log into your admin account to edit it.

You may want to turn off the DNS service. Supposedly this will help prevent slowdowns when using a large hosts file. I didn't try MVPS with the DNS service running since it was already turned off, so I can't say what effect this really has.

What you could do is just try out the MVPS hosts and see if you notice any difference in Iron and with Adblock Plus activated/deactivated in Firefox. I tried it out recently and didn't see any big improvements over Adblock Plus without MVPS, but ymmv. If you decide it isn't of any great benefit just delete the entries added and you're back to normal, it's very simple.

Since you're already using a limited account I wouldn't bother with spending any money on things like Sandboxie, etc. If you have AppLocker, use it, or set up a software restriction policy and you'll be good to go. LUA and SRP is one of the simplest, and at the same time most effective, ways of securing your system.

7. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

I find using the HOSTS file very valuable - it easily blocks Google et al from tracking me, whichever browser I use and it does this without the need to install software which could slow down either my PC or browsing experience (edit: unless you have a massive HOSTS file of course!)

8. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Modified HOSTS file maybe a little bit valuable as it does not allow access to the websites in its list and it is a free. Problem is that they are only updated maybe monthly and a large list can slow down browsing. I used to use the MVPS and hpHosts file (and funkytoad's HostsXpert to manage/merge them) but am using no longer. Just too much time spent to check on updates, etc. and they can be easily defeated by malware remodifying the HOSTS file to redirect to bad sites.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  9. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

A hosts file is best viewed as a known junk blocker, not a security tool. It blocks the major ad companies, Google's normal data mining links, etc. It's primary value would be for helping to clean up web pages. It's also useful for blocking access to specific sites when they're manually added. Malicious sites change too fast for a hosts file to ever keep up with.

Regarding a large hosts file slowing your PC, this can be prevented by disabling the DNS service.

10. Dregg Heda

Thanks for the response everyone. What is the DNS service? What exactly does it do and what will I be losing by disabling it?

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nothing but will speed up your connection:D

12. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Isn't OpenDNS dependent on it? o_O

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

mmmmm maybe not:) the only way is trying:D i notice my pc run faster than super man:D

14. raven211

Wohoo! -skydives and falls to the ground with the face first, gets biggest nosebleed ever seen-

So, could you test with OpenDNS and see if it complains?

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

when i come from work i can do this test;) no problem:thumb:

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The DNS service on your PC has absolutely nothing to do with who provides your DNS. Click the service and you will see a description of what it does.

17. raven211

Thanks - it looks like it's deleted completely from my installation, unless it's the "DNS Client" service.

Is DNS Client service the same thing or is that important to have running?

18. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

If you use the filtering on the OpenDNS it does similar things as using a Host file, and may be a better alternative, you dont have to do anything to update the files, for example. OpenDNS manages the lists in each category that you select, behind the scenes.

Im leaning this direction.

There are lots of different Hosts files, though, is there a comparison of them somewhere?

Also does anybody know how to subscribe to multiple Adblock Plus lists? I cant seem to do it. I cant change it either. I have Malware Domains subscribed. But would like to check out some of the others, such as Easy Privacy.

19. Dregg Heda

Does OpenDNS protect from web trackers, bugs, parasites, banners. ads and 3rd party cookies like a hosts file would?

20. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes

It is no where near as efficient as a hosts file. For starters, you need to add the websites manually to OpenDNS for cookies, popups, etc. Secondly, you're limited to something like 50 domains. Thirdly, doing a DNS lookup on websites to protect yourself is far slower than doing a lookup on your local HOSTS file, as the lookup needs to exit your PC and query the OpenDNS servers, unlike using a HOSTS file, which is done locally.

That being said, I use both OpenDNS and the MVPS HF.

Like I'm stating in my post, no, it's no where near as effective as say, the MVPS HOSTS file.

21. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

elapsed, where can you get a comparison of the different Hosts files available....and how they differ....or maybe you could give us a quick assessment?

22. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Read the FAQ The MVPS HOSTS File is a viable way to block ads and block Malware links !

For any naysayers, I will not comment further, as this file is used and trusted by many, if you don't like it don't use it, but don't say it is not worth using since this a completely erroneous statement :ouch:

23. korben

korben Registered Member

what would you recommend as an alternative then?

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

In my opinion, MVPS is KILLER for ads. Don't get me wrong, AdBlock Plus is a fantastic, repeat, fantastic extension. But, if you don't want to have an extension loading a boatload of entries every few days into the browser, MVPS is what you should look into. What MVPS is NOT killer for is malware blocking. Naysayers can holler, but the constant growth and sophistication of malware proves what I say. A list that is updated even once a week is not ever going to be reliable anymore.

The alternatives (real ones) to AdBlock Plus and MVPS is Proxomitron and AdMuncher. Proxomitron, eh, I don't know, looks like way too much configuration to deal with. I have not tried it for years so I can't truly judge it. AdMuncher, well, paying to block ads=No. Besides that, Admuncher seems to be one of those types of vendors that update whenever they decide "What the hell, we'll toss an update out".

25. raven211

In other words I can just disable the DNS Client then? :doubt: :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.