MVPS hosts file

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dregg Heda, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

Yes that's right no script options, advanced, untrusted, select forbid web bugs.
    use this as well as ghostery and good bye we bugs :D

2. korben

korben Registered Member

You mean you're using this:

xttps://store.opendns.com/setup/router/ ??

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

4. korben

korben Registered Member

and the benefit of it is ?

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

OpenDNS can be sloooow at times. Also its #2 server goes numb at times. The best way to determine the fastest DNS servers for your particular location is to TEST the options.

To easily switch from one DNS to another, use THIS.

If you are a fan of real-time audio and video streams, and sometimes suffer from "drop-outs", you might want to CHECK your latency.

7. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well... dunno how rock solid is OpenDNS security but not returning proper NXDOMAIN replies plus hijacking Google for their advertising business seems like enough reasons to NOT use that service. Comodo does the same thing like OpenDNS, bad as well. The Google DNS service seems like the only thing that doesn't screw proper DNS functionality ATM...

8. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

Is Proximitron like a Hosts file?

9. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

No, Proxomitron is a web proxy. It allows you to create filters to intercept and change web content. You can use it to completely change the way a web page is rendered by your browser.

10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Info on Proxo

11. EscapeVelocity

Derelik NY, thanks for the links to the Hosts files,that you use and your setup.

Have you tried BlueTack Hosts Manager, and Hosts Expert, how do they compare to the Hostsman?

12. 0strodamus

You're welcome. I'm glad you found my post useful.

I have tried both HostsXpert and BISS Hosts Manager, but to be honest it was so long ago I don't remember exactly why I chose HostsMan. It may have had something to do with my setup, which doesn't touch the Windows host file. HostsMan lets you edit and update its disabled hosts file and will leave the Windows file alone. If you don't already use a VM (like MS VirtualPC or Virtualbox), I would recommend one of those to try out software with then try them all to see which one you like the best.

If you are going to use Windows hosts, I do remember having problems getting Windows XP to recognize any changes that I made to the hosts file without rebooting. Initially, you'll have to sort through some exclusions and having to reboot each time gets to be a PITA very quickly. That's what initially led me on a search for another DNS solution. I was using DNSKong for awhile, but have found that Acrylic DNS is better IMO. Acrylic comes with batch files that will purge the Acrylic DNS cache and restart the service - much easier than editing the Windows host file and having to reboot with each edit.

13. EscapeVelocity

I didnt have to reboot, using Hostsman. I added new Hosts lists that you linked to, I only had MVPS, originally.

I am using MS WindowsXP System Restore & Macrium Backups to test security software.

I think I will give those other 2 a look, but the Hostsman and me have been getting along great. I have Automatic Updates selected, but none so far. Overwrite instead of Merge....is that the correct way to do it? Optimize checked, and also Find Duplicates when necessary. I have 144,000 Host Names at 3 MB.

I have all the lists you put up except for sh0rtie's Hosts, which took me to a zip file download.

What does the Hostsman Server do?

I am probably going to use OpenDNS too, havent gotten around to it yet, someone told me baby steps. :)

I also have the WindowsXP DNS Cache disabled. Though I didnt have slowdowns with it before disabling DNS Cache.

I have a big clueless user and this seems to be a good backround protection layer, and works with all browsers, to boot.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  14. EscapeVelocity

PS - Would running an IP Blocker like PeerGuardian (do you have other suggestions) and using BlueTack block lists be useful as well, as a different approach/layer of protection?

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

While Peerguardian is unofficially dead (meaning the Devs haven't come out and said "We quit", but no progress has been made for a few years now), PeerBlocker is an offshoot of it. It's basically the same deal, just with long ignored bugs finally fixed and MUCH better support. Protection depends upon the lists you use with it. There are strictly P2P lists, known Botnet lists, Spammer lists, known hacker lists, and so on. Don't be tempted to overdo it on lists though. While a lot of protection CAN be had, going overboard can also kill your connection and surfing experience.

I use it myself, and I've found it a safe, reliable extra layer.

16. 0strodamus

That's cool that you don't have to reboot between hosts changes. It may be something in my configuration causing that here.

Windows system restore may still leave remnants from installs. If your Macrium backups are images, that will solve that problem. If you test a lot of software, you may still want to give a VM a try. It's much easier than restoring images.

I also do overwrite instead of merge, but I don't use the optimizer. I use my Autohotkey script to sort and parse the file instead. Does the optimizer makes the file more difficult to edit in a text editor? I seem to recall it deletes all unneeded characters making it harder to read outside of the HostsMan editor.

HostsMan will know how to unzip and use Sh0rties list.

The HostsServer will run a localhost server so that any hits to your hosts file will get logged and optionally replaced by a graphic in your browser. It makes it easy to see what's being blocked.

I'm using OpenDNS now and also have Windows DNS cache disabled. I don't think you can go wrong with OpenDNS, although I have seen a couple posts here from some members that don't like how it redirects you to OpenDNS if the hostname is invalid. Comodo also has DNS servers that do basically the same thing. I've been using OpenDNS for a long time and have been happy with it so far. I have Comodo configured in Acrylic DNS as a Tertiary Server.

I like the 0 overhead protection layer that using hosts provides. By using a caching DNS like Acrylic or DNSKong, you'll even be benefiting from increased performance as explained here.

17. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I don't use custom hosts file...
    there's so many entries in there..

I'm afraid some of them will redirect me to some phishing/malicious sites.

I make sure that HOSTS file is clean, block any access to it and use spywareblaster or iobit's advanced systemcare to block bad sites from within the browser.

18. 0strodamus

HostsMan has an option to remove any possible hijacks. I've never encountered one in the many years I've been using hosts. Stick with reputable lists and you'll be ok. ;)

19. EscapeVelocity

Thanks for the tips and info, dw and DNY.

I will check out PeerBlocker and Acrylic DNS/DNSKong.

I have turned on HostsServer in Hostsman too, thanks for the tip.

20. EscapeVelocity

Im really digging Hostsman. :thumb:

21. EscapeVelocity

Is AcrylicDNS a Web Proxy like Proxomitron?

22. 0strodamus

No, they are two different animals. Acrylic is a localhost DNS server. It handles your DNS requests, forwarding any it hasn't already cached to your external DNS server (i.e. OpenDNS). There is a much better explaination on the author's webpage. It will install a service in Windows and you'll have to configure your DNS server 127.0.0.1. This is all described here.

23. EscapeVelocity

Can you run Proxomitron, Acrylic, Hostman, OpenDNS, and Peerblocker.....or is that not advisable. If not why not. They all seem to be doing different things.

24. 0strodamus

Yes, you can run them all together without any problems.

25. EscapeVelocity

So which is better ... Google Public DNS, Comodo Secure DNS, ScrubIT, or OpenDNS?

Google Public = Google Data Collecting = the Beast
    Comodo = Has a Good Name in Security
    ScrubIT = Popular but not as Featured as OpenDNS with Filters
    OpenDNS = Lots of Filtering Features, Including for Kids

Google Public looks like a winner, check out there security page...

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/security.html

Im leaning OpenDNS or Google.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.