How to Build an Awesome Gaming PC for $647

Discussion in 'hardware' started by JRViejo, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

MaximumPC Article by Will Smith and Gordon Mah Ung.​

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I am new to build it yourself but plan on my next PC being built with my own 2 hands. Thanks for the lesson,,,,much appreciated.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Good choice on the graphics card...
    I just built my son one for XMas...
    Most from NewEgg

RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=raidmax_smilodon-_-11-156-098-_-Product
    $84.99
    It's the best "value" case I've ever seen..and I've seen A LOT of them. It's heavy, well built, solid, good quick release rails 'n stuff for drives, the rear side of the case swings out for easy motherboard mounting/access.
    It comes with a pretty decent power supply, 500 watts..and importantly for the graphics card, it puts out more than 14 amps at the 12v+ rail....and this one does 20 amps.

Lots of good reviews from Newegg customers on this case.

I got the Sapphire 5570 graphics card, IMO and lots of research, best "bang for the buck"..potent midrange card, 1 gig of RAM, DirectX11 support (one of the first cards to support DX11), $164.00 at New Egg.

On Black Friday I picked up an Intel Quad Core q8500, 2.5GHz, for $139.99

I picked up 4 gigs of G-Skill RAM for $94.00. 2.0-2.1v..have to be careful with custom RAM these days, default voltage is 1.9v for PC2 RAM, lots of performance RAM requires 2.1 or higher and some motherboards don't like that.

I picked up a Western Digital Black Edition 750 gig hard drive at New Egg on Black Friday, $49.00! The Black Edition is high performance...very fast, 32 meg cache.

I picked up an LG DVD-R NewEgg for $24.00

Motherboard, I did an Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, was $124.00 Solid Intel Chipset!

Total so far, $594.00

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.