How to Build an Awesome Gaming PC for $647

Discussion in 'hardware' started by JRViejo, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

MaximumPC Article by Will Smith and Gordon Mah Ung.​

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I am new to build it yourself but plan on my next PC being built with my own 2 hands. Thanks for the lesson,,,,much appreciated.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Good choice on the graphics card...
    I just built my son one for XMas...
    Most from NewEgg

RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=raidmax_smilodon-_-11-156-098-_-Product
    $84.99
    It's the best "value" case I've ever seen..and I've seen A LOT of them. It's heavy, well built, solid, good quick release rails 'n stuff for drives, the rear side of the case swings out for easy motherboard mounting/access.
    It comes with a pretty decent power supply, 500 watts..and importantly for the graphics card, it puts out more than 14 amps at the 12v+ rail....and this one does 20 amps.

Lots of good reviews from Newegg customers on this case.

I got the Sapphire 5570 graphics card, IMO and lots of research, best "bang for the buck"..potent midrange card, 1 gig of RAM, DirectX11 support (one of the first cards to support DX11), $164.00 at New Egg.

On Black Friday I picked up an Intel Quad Core q8500, 2.5GHz, for $139.99

I picked up 4 gigs of G-Skill RAM for $94.00. 2.0-2.1v..have to be careful with custom RAM these days, default voltage is 1.9v for PC2 RAM, lots of performance RAM requires 2.1 or higher and some motherboards don't like that.

I picked up a Western Digital Black Edition 750 gig hard drive at New Egg on Black Friday, $49.00! The Black Edition is high performance...very fast, 32 meg cache.

I picked up an LG DVD-R NewEgg for $24.00

Motherboard, I did an Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, was $124.00 Solid Intel Chipset!

Total so far, $594.00

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.