Vista SP2 RC Security Updates crash NOd32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by bradtech, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradtech

bradtech Guest

After applying the last two SP2 Vista updates via Windows Update I now get a message from NOD32 telling me the real time scanner has encountered an error, and NOD32 need to be reinstalled..

I have attached the three updates Installed, and the affect it had on NOD32 after a restart, and installation/applying of the updates.

Attached Files:

2. bradtech

bradtech Guest

hmm. Did a reboot, and was still there.. Tried doing a repair install and it gave me some privilege error like nod couldn't reinstall itself due to rights possibly.. I disabled UAC thinking something may have changed with the security updates and SP2.. Did a reboot, and NOD32 is now working again without actually doing a reinstall..

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You're not the first person to report problems with SP2. I'm curious if it's just a problem with installation or a general SP2 problem ESET might need to push a PCU to fix.

4. bradtech

bradtech Guest

What was odd is that i had zero issues with just a SP2 install. It seems that the security upates after SP2 installed were what caused my problem. I did not have to uninstall NOD32 or even the Security updates to fix NOD32.. I just disabled UAC from msconfig, and did a reboot..That solved the issue. I tried a reboot prior to disabling UAC and that did not fix it. So then I began to make changes.. What lead me to believe there was some kind of permission issue or security feature was when i tried to do a simple "repair" option from NOD32 in Programs and Features.. It would not allow NOD32 to even do this.. I thought to myself "this seems like UAC"..

I wonder if those particular Security Updates applied on top of SP2 have hosed something up regarding UAC, and NOD32 causing the real time protection to get hosed up... This would maybe be something a ESET developer would lke to play with in a VM setup.. I'd hate to see the official non RC SP2 for Vista or Server 2008 to cause any issues down the road because of something Microsoft changes up

5. elapsed

Well I know a lot of UAC work went into v4, if MS changed it somehow in SP2 it could explain the breakage.

6. bodean

bodean Registered Member

Same issues here. Been going on for a week now. If Eset can admit to and fix this error, might not be renewing at the end of the month.

7. bodean

bodean Registered Member

Just reinstalled NOD 32 Vista 64 version, same error comes up. Nice.............:thumbd: :thumbd:

8. Skoorb

Skoorb Registered Member

Just to confirm (although this is my first post), it's happening to me as well.

Also, try uninstalling it while in this state - it seems impossible.

If anyone (especially from Eset) wants any logs, or other info, do let me know.

Does anyone have any other temporary solutions apart from disabling the whole of UAC permanently? It's a bit of an ugly work around.

Thanks.

9. bodean

bodean Registered Member

I've disabled UAC from the day I installed Vista 64. This hasn't been the rut of the problem.

Sent an email 5 hours ago to tech support. No response yet............

10. bodean

bodean Registered Member

Typical canned response from tech support:

Thank you for contacting ESET Customer Care. Based on the symptoms you described, reinstalling your ESET security product will be necessary. For step-by-step instructions on this process, please click or copy/paste one of the following Knowledgebase articles into your web browser:

Version 4.0:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2116

Funny, I've reinstalled 4 times today to no avail.

If everyone who has the problem can do this:
    1. Download SysInspector here:

http://www.eset.com/download/sysinspector.php

and email it to Eset I am sure it will hurry them along with fixing this product.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  11. bodean

bodean Registered Member

NOD 3.0.684.0 works without any issues. Just version 4 doing this.
    Still no response from anyone on the issue.

:thumbd:

12. elapsed

I'm betting it's a WFP issue. Did they change something in it? I don't have a changelog.

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We'll check it out, I have already notified our developers and testers.

14. bodean

bodean Registered Member

Thanks. Keep us updated. Guess I'm stuck with V3 until V4 is fixed.

15. branio

branio Registered Member

Can you guys who got the problems confirm that you were using the Beta build 16497 of SP2?
    Because with the newest Release Candidate build (16670) the problems aren't observed at all... I mean, those KB958624 and KB956802 aren't even offered for downloading through the WU anymore.
    The SP2 RC (released on March 4th) I downloaded was from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd262148.aspx. No problems with the V4. I tried it on both fully updated (those two KBs were already installed) Vista x64/x86 SP1 and also on clean Vista x64, without any updates installed, so SP2 RC was the first one (those KBs aren't offered anymore).

16. bodean

bodean Registered Member

Under System in the control panel, my version of SP2 for Vista 64 is v.286

17. branio

branio Registered Member

Same here. Ok, one last thought: would you compare the filesize of your SP2 installer file?
    These, listed below, are the ones from the MS site I mentioned before, Release Candidate build (16670):

Code:
    597˙229˙424   Windows6.0-KB948465-X64.exe
    354˙613˙640   Windows6.0-KB948465-X86.exe
    From what I've seen, the Beta build was presented as the same KB948465, but I'm confident, that filesizes would be different :ninja:

18. bodean

bodean Registered Member

19. bodean

bodean Registered Member

Any update from the company on a fix, patch, updated version?

20. Skoorb

Skoorb Registered Member

I'm running the official release candidate of SP2 detailed at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/dd262148.aspx (v.286, build 16670). I installed it through the Windows Update route linked on that page. I manually installed the optional pre-req at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...28-f32a-43ee-a63a-1fe85ab651ac&displaylang=en before hand. I have no updates listed in Windows Update that I have yet to install, apart from the Office Live Add-In.

I upgraded to Nod32V4 from V3 while Vista SP2 RC was installed.
    I uninstalled Nod32 through the Control Panel, rebooted my machine, then installed V4.

When I started getting the errors (from the first reboot after installation), I did a manual uninstall and reinstall. The steps I followed were:
    Uninstall from Programs and Features - this lead to an error message on a few files.
    Reboot, and in safe mode deleted everything listed in http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?pag...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1237062339129.
    Manually removed the service with sc.exe
    Followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539 to open device manager and manually deleted the eset devices.
    Deleted the Eset registry entries:
    -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET
    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESET
    Rebooted
    Reinstalled.
    Disabled self-defence mode

Now, the error message saying I need to reinstall only occurs occasionally, on certain boots. When it does, NOD32 still automatically quarantines the EICAR test files when I download them from the EICAR site, so it may not actually be as dead as it says it is. When I reboot the system again, the error message usually goes away for a few boots.

I hope this is some use for you, let me know if you need any more.

Alex

21. bodean

bodean Registered Member

Any update from THE COMPANY on when a new version/fix will be released?
    Or has it gone on deaf ears over at ESET?

22. bodean

bodean Registered Member

UPDATE from ESET on issue:

Following is the email I got from them

~Private communications removed as noted in the Terms Of Service for using these forums.~

If you look at the email, it's another one of those canned "Uninstall/reinstall" but this time, for v3. Funny, the whole conversation / issue has been with V4.

Good help hard to find these days I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
  23. branio

branio Registered Member

I believe they are working on this issue. So far, I have been able to reproduce the problem with the v4 not starting correctly when there is SP2 RC installed. Still, this isn't happening always, only in about 5-10% of system starts.

24. Badgerman

Badgerman Registered Member

I had the issue with Vista x64 Ultimate SP2 v.286. My NOD32 try icon came up orange and told me to re-install. I had uninstalled NOD32 V3, run CCleaner, CleanMyPc, Disk Cleanup, rebooted and installed NOD32 V4.

As I read this thread last week I reverted back to V3. I thought my system was a little snapper/quicker with V4 so I checked everyday anxiously awaiting the fixed V4.

My patience ran out and I re-installed V4 right over top V3 and it's worked for days with several reboots and no errors. Go figure ; /

25. bodean

bodean Registered Member

Has anyone tried NOD 32 v4 with the latest Vista SP2 RTM-Escrow build that is now out?

"" Sources say that the RTM Escrow build of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 has been released to a group of internal testers. The build number of this pre RTM build is 6002.17506.090313-1730, compiled on March 13, 2009. The RTM build numbers are also finalised and would be 6002.17507.090319-1515 and 6002.17508.090320-1600 ""

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.