Best On Demand Scanners?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DasFox, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I'm considering adding in a on demand scanner to my regular real time protection AV to add in more protection when scan time comes around...

Dr. WebCureIt is the only one demand scanner I hear with good reviews/rants.

Anyone elseo_O

THANKS

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

How about the Kaspersky avp tool

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Gents,

For the record: it's just fine posting many suggestions as for On Demand Scanners. It's fine as well to comment on the technical ins and outs from them as well. Then again: "scanner X is far better then scanner Y"- discussions are a no-go-area. Please keep that in mind.

Thanks,

Paul

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

what drwebs cureit gives you is........

apart from being free without needing to install it, its:

a 'very' deep-system scan with high packer support and fantastic removal.

however, it is a slow scanner in comparison to some of the others.

5. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Many AVs have free Online scanners... Just check on the AV Vendor's website.
    You may consider using a different on-demand AV each time you scan :)

Of course, On-Demand AVs like DrWeb's CureIt and Kaspersky's AVPTool (currently Beta) may be better at removing malware though... Not 100% sure about this, but wouldn't be surprised if this is true

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Online AV scanners may be very convenient, but their data base may not always be up-to-date. Latest/newest threats therefore may not be detected.

Unless some new measures have be taken lately, those are the impression(experience) I have received. I would use any On-demand so long as its signatures are updated regularly, and bears little system impact.

Take care.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

DasFox, you love posting these questions, and the results are always them same. Every poster has his own opinion. In the end you will have to try them and see how they work for you. I know you have been pointed to AV-Comparatives. That is a good place to start.

Pete

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

How about a reason.

9. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

I found out however, what it scans only individual files.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

eh, i dont understand what you are trying to say :blink:

11. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

What i'm trying to say is that it only scans one file at a time when you submit it, not your whole drive.

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

of course it scans the whole drive :rolleyes:

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Here's my reply. :)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=197910

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

post error...

15. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

If you are such an old hand as you state in you link,then why ask?We could ask you the same question but then you would just give what you think is best,correct?What is the point?

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

SORRY, I'm an old hand for many apps, but I've not used them all, and I personally have never used any on demand scanners, that is why the question.

I have only been using real time, like KAV and NOD for the past 7 years is all, now I see a need for a change they are not cutting it alone anymore...

THANKS

P.S. Sorry I wasn't more specific in the post...

17. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

So would most people agree that Dr. WebCureIt is one on demand scanner no one should be with out, good detections, and cleaning?

I don't expect anyone app to do it all, let's face it none of them do, that is why I want to add in an on demand scanner along with a real time protection AV to add more...

THANKS

18. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

No,but what does it matter?We all have our own take on hard and software.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2008
  19. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I know everyone has their own take, but there must be some sort of agreement around here on somethings...

It's not a complicated question, please don't make it into one, boy talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

It's REAL SIMPLE, does Dr. WebCureIt work good as an on demand scanner? Yes or no? If it's not a good on demand scanner, not an ONLINE demand scanner, then who makes good on demand scanners for free too, or a post talking about these I can read?

It matters because I need to add in some more for, "Inexperienced End-Users".

Simply giving an inexperienced end-user one real time protection AV app isn't cutting it anymore, just like trying to install one Spyware program like Spybot isn't going to catch all the spyware/malware out there.

Don't mean to sound rude, but you get it now? ----> Answer: "You need to have more then one app to help do the job and that is what I'm looking for, some more supplemental AV support". ;)

THANKS

20. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

No.Do you, bye stating end use mean yourself or clients you are working on their computers for?

21. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Sorry read back up I re-edited the post over.... :)

Yes this is for a friends computer I'm putting on an on demand scanner along with NOD32 v2 because she's a newbie, so I'm going to tell her to use it from time to time along with her spyware apps to scan like once a week...

THANKS

P.S. But I wouldn't mind even adding something to my box also, let's face it even NOD32, KAV, McAfee, Norton, etc., etc., no one single AV app does it all, gets them all too...

22. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What is your definition of "on demand scanner" ? I ask that question because if "Dr. WebCureIt" in your mind is an on demand scanner then it IMHO is no different than an online scanner that almost all "well established, solidly performing anti-virus products" have now a day.

Why, because as it mentions, one would need to download the program again if one wishes to have the latest sigs contained in the database say a week from now or a day or two for those needing such coverage.

For discussion sake, let's say it's an online scanner, there then are certain questions one could ask of you.

Do you wish to download a file from AV program ABC each day ?
    Do you wish to use online scanners that require ActiveX ?
    What operating system will this be on ?

Provide some more information other than "Best On Demand Scanners?" and you might, just might get some comments from "experienced people" instead of the usual one liners.

23. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Then let's go back to your link and your statements,shall we?You state that you have been around computers quite awhile,correct?If so then you should know.Have a nice day.

24. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

That's already been answered on more than one occasion especially if you use the search. Please keep in mind that both CureIt and Kaspersky's AVP tool are updated multiple times each day. However the new build is only placed on the FTP, so you need to manually download the updated version.

25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

If no single AV does it, why would you presume that multiple AV's will fair any better?

If you want to help this person - and it's consistent with the applications and usage style they have - why not one decent AV (NOD32/KAV/Dr Web/Avast/whatever - something decent according to your favorite challenge evalauation) and LUA? Or an AV plus virtualize except for preselected folders? Or about a hundred other options that anyone out there that one could implement as long as they were familiar with the basic approach and/or applications.

Your friend is a newbie - OK - needs to be simple, limited user input and robust. But will you be available as require for assistance if needed? Details like that matter when it comes to specifics.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.