I'm Not A Newbie - Why I Joined This Forum!

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by DasFox, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

In the past when I've posted I've had the bad habit of just simple asking, "Which is the Best", and those that have seen my post know it. You know why? Well one, I'm not a newbie, and I made the assumption that I thought most people around here were not either.

I've been a Windows geek for 20 years, and a Unix geek for 10.

I joined this forum because I thought there are real geeks here with real answers, not the, well it's best because I like it, blah blah blah.

NO don't get me wrong here, I'm smiling as I make this reply, but HONESTLY if everyone here is just going to tell me to go out and read on the web, well then my reply is, "I already know how to surf the net, I've been surfing it since the day it was born."

Let's be HONEST here, just because someone slaps up a site and adds reviews doesn't mean you can trust it either, and now people are getting smart and putting up scam review sites all over the place to get you into buying their crap, or spyware.

The other side to this story is none of the major players, I mean the big names in AV software like putting up anything either because they know their program won't stand up to everyone, so all you see from them are small reviews against a few applications they know they can beat, just what you call good, "Guerilla Marketing", nothing more at times then their marketing propaganda.

So when it comes to surfing and reading and researching I can do it with the best of them, but when it comes right down to it, nothing beats first hand experience from experienced people, and I thought EXPERIENCE is what we had around here, so I could just ask the questions and get some simple answers, but I see it's not working, LOL.

THANKS

P.S. Don't take the post negative, remember I'm smiling. :)

If you don't get it, and you are asking what is the POINT of this post? Well the point is, I thought this was a place of experienced people where a real geek could get some real answers, and not just your typical computer forum. Actually I thought this was an also an OFFICIAL support forum for some of the products here like NOD32, etc...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

In that case you already know that a "Which is the Best" question simply doesn't provide any of the context required to adequately answer the question since there is no context-free "best".

Blue

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I was waiting for one of these replies, so I could reply as to why I made the titles like that.

Because again, I thought this was a very experienced geek forum, and two, it's a bad habit of mine I do around geeks make a general question like this. Also because when we ask that type of question around hard core geeks we generally know what someone is implying, and if they don't I forget all the time that they are not mind readers also, so it's a another bad habit, BUT for the past 10 years around HARD CORE Unix geeks it's been fine, and that's the crowd I thought we had around here, Hardcore Windows Geeks with answers. So that is why they general questions because I thought it would be fine here, but I guess I was wrong, hehe. :)

THANKS

P.S. Das opens his UNIX CLI terminal to remove the general questions directory: ---> rm -rf general questions :)

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

You know, you should try just putting it out there one of these days. I suppose I could speak in riddles as well.
    To tell you the truth, I don't know what that really means...
    Generally speaking, especially for the time frame in question, experienced Unix users would have a common and fairly high base level of experience. This has never been the case for a heterogeneous Windows audience, has never been the case of a general application end-user forum, and it's no longer true of Unix either when you get down to it. Time to lose that habit - you're right, it's a bad one.

Blue

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Oh yes the computer world is changing Unix/Linux are getting simpler to install, and use, and I simply made an assumption about this place for some reason, thinking it was really hardcore, and so why I made general simple titles, but now I see the forum here isn't so different from others.

I think what threw me was how Eset has their official support here, thinking there was something hardcore going on, but when it gets down to it, it's a forum like most, experienced and inexperienced, so now I know.

Time to throw those assumptions and habits out, LOL...

THANKS

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, DasFox

To say something is the best [whether informed or not] is an opinion of the benefits of widely differing products or situations, and can [usually] lead to division and derision. :doubt:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. Empath

Empath Registered Member

The general expectation in selection of which forums one uses or doesn't, is that the user upon finding a particular forum that isn't what they are looking for, passes it by and seeks another. Registering complaints at the forum, or suggesting that the forum should abandon what they are and focus on your desires seems a bit pushy, IMHO.

B'sides, it's all about me; not you. Of course I could be messed up too, and it might be all about the community instead.

8. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

IMO it is a place of 'experienced people'. Granted, not all. But also a place where non-geeks got answers. That's why I like it.

People here are patient in the main and there is lively discussion at times from people who don't know all the answers.

But hey, nothing wrong with that 'cause who does ?

Perhaps not the best forum then, for a real geek.

You'll only get frustrated by us 'newbies' :)

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

People's opinions will vary just the same as their individual experiences. For a person that asked a question, whether it was a well developed one or not, that received excellent and in-depth replies, the forum they posted in might be considered great. For another who asked a question that was either ignored, (perhaps simply missed or not found to be interesting at that moment), or received poor answers for any number of reasons, the forum would likely be thought of as poor or even a joke.

Obviously, people will make up their own minds as to where this forum fits, based upon what they read here.

But, as general advice, I've found that more often than not, a well written question has a much better chance of thoughtful answers then poorly written or simple open-ended ones. You often get out what you put in.

Beyond that, I think this thread has served its purpose and is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.