Question about Avira settings?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bio-Hazard, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello I just got installed my Avira 6 months trial. I havent used Avira before so, Is the default settings good enough or do i need to "fiddle" with them?

Thank you

Bio-Hzard

2. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

The default settings should be fine.

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

yeah default settings are ok.

Just one thing, you might want to change the scheduler so avira can check for updates every 60min.

4. Bio-Hazard

Thanks, that is a good tip!

5. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

general > extended threat categories > select all

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I max at all settings and no problems

7. Bio-Hazard

Have you ever had false positive with max settings?

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

not a single one.;)

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i wouldnt worry about it.

ive had more FP's from the AV's that are supposed to have a low amount, than the so-called 'FALSE POSITIVE DETECTION MACHINES'

so, i dont listen to the fp-rate arguments.

10. Bio-Hazard

Thanks C.S.J and trjam!

I am very happy how Avira is behavibg. I am only testing it because of the deal and i had several problems with NOD32!

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is solid and light. I combine it with Sandboxie and really feel this is more then adequate.

12. Bio-Hazard

At the moment it is running along side OA AV+ and Defensewall. It is definately light. It hasnt any impact on my machine at all except the umbrella on system tray :D

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

good combination.

14. Bio-Hazard

Thanks! It is light and smooth.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If it were me, I would still take Sandboxie over DF. On my other PC I just run Shadow Defender.

16. Bio-Hazard

Well it is personal choice....Thanks for the help! I will put my settings up to max and see how things go!

17. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Avira Classic is a decent AV, perhaps a great one considering it is free. Every now and then I would get a false positive, but none ever caused havoc. The interface is a bit on the complex side for the average user, though. Updates on the free edition can be slow at times, but a try later in the day usually takes care of it.

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

No! NEVER select all there. Avira has made the default that way because of all the complaints. You will get a lot of FP's if you change that.

19. Bio-Hazard

I will see what happens when i put them on max. I am not going to complain about it because i know this could happen.

20. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Another thing. Do NOT leave Avira at default. You need to set ANY AV to scan ALL FILES. Set both LukeFilewalker and Guard to scan all files. Geez...how can some of you say otherwise? It won't slow down a decent computer. I don't have dual core ...just a Pentium 4 at 3.8Ghz and 2 CPU's and it has never slowed a single one of my computers to scan all files.

For LukeFilewalker, check everything under Additional Settings. They are not all checked by default. Under Archives check Scan Archives, Scan all Archive types, and Limit Recursive Depth put it up to least 50 - many set that to 99.

For Guard, check to scan ALL files. Under Archives check all boxes and 10/15/1000 is good.

Under General you probably will want to change Update Alert to one day. Also when you make a new job to check every hour for updates, you probably will want that set to "invisible".

21. Bio-Hazard

Thank you, that was a excellent advice. This kind of advice i was looking after when i started this thread.

22. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It will depend on your specific mix of applications how many FP's you get if you put it on Max. I got a big bunch when I first got Avira. I still get too many FP's if I add Application and SPR. You may not have many applications or download many new ones that produce alerts so it may be ok for you on maximum.

edit: Actually, what I meant to say was "if you put it to check all" under Extended Threats category not "if you put it on Max".

I missed commenting earlier about heuristics. A lot of users set heuristics for both LukeFilewalker and Guard to Maximum. I leave that at default because of FP's which I really dislike. Some folks don't mind FP's that much so that has be an individual decision.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  23. Bio-Hazard

I dont download that many progrmas. I have a fair amount aplications. So assume it should be okay. Well i should know in few days.

24. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I've never had a FP w/ Avira's heuristics on high and all of the extended threat categories selected.

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You don't use Sysinternals Tools? You haven't applied Evid4226 patch to XP (assuming you use XP)? You have no keyfinder program? They aren't malware but Avira insists on detecting them. Stupid. There was a whole bunch of FP's when I first got Avira and ran it. I reported them all to Stefan and he fixed the heuristic ones but not a lot of the others. You have to turn off SPR and applications. No one but Avira detects these programs. I've had them for years and used many AV's and nobody detected until Avira.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.