K7 Computing-what is this?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Windfresh, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windfresh

Windfresh Registered Member

K7 Antivirus Computing-what is this?

Happy New to everyone!
    I've run into an unknown antivirus K7
    http://www.k7computing.com/index.asp ,which is from India.
    I know about Microworld with their eScan range of products, Quick Heal of CAT and ProtectorPlus, but I had never heard anything about K7.
    You will ask me why I am so suprised-I will respond.
    K7 Computing asserts on the official site that "Virus Security

Trusted by more than 4 million users in Japan".
    4 million users!!!in Japan. That must be a very popular product,but why unheard anywhere? Are there any guys, interested in secyrity software from Japan?Give me a clue why K7 is so popular (or unpopular)in Japan.
    What is the detection rate for K7? Have you got any info on it?

In order to not open a new thread concerning K7. They advise to reboot a computer after updating a K7 virus database.
    So it means that a user should disconnect his/her Internet and all the opened services just to be protected with new signatures? Is it the way ALL antiviruses work? Or K7 is simply an outdated software technology?
    Thank you all in advance!:)

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

sounds like it uses its own engine, not sure about detection.

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Actually, it is the predecessor of the K9 Virus Sniffing engine. The program with a nose for malware. It was the first to identify the curry worm and the monsoon bot network.

5. Windfresh

Thanks for answers!
    Though nothing has become clearer. The info from their site I knew already. I wonder whether K7 is good in AV province and why it is so popular in Japan.
    I found their soft while I was on The Microsoft security soft providers and saw thier special offers alongside with those of Panda, Norton, TM and F-Secure.
    http://www.k7computing.com/Microsoft/XP/Microsoft.asp

6. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I am testing the K7 IS now and I must say that it feels good. Not heavy at all. All the things that other packages have are includes in K7's package too. Maybe a bit expensive though.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  7. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I had been to it's website about couple of months ago and found nothing intriguing. I assumed it to be rebranded antivirus using some known antivirus engine. If it has a new engine than i might give it a try. Being a microsoft security service provider this looks like a credible company.

8. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Well, it has got only one vb100, so it can't be too bad. But if it had some well known engines, don't you think they would have had more confidence and entered more times and won?

9. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Testing it now. Low on use of resources :thumb: .BUT only scans 1 level in compressed files, with no option to fix that in any setting. So the famous Eicar zip2 file is only detected, if you unpack it. That is not good eneough :thumbd: And the Eicar zip1 file is only detected if you scan it, when downloadet. Scans my hole computer in 16 min.But then again, if it only scans one level in compressed files, it's understandable how it does it that quick....Kaspersky does the same in 70 min. ESET in about 25 min., Symantec 35-40 min. Those AV' scan at least 3 levels in compressed files.
    I like it's gui :thumb:
    The future will see if I feel safe with it. :D

Happy New Year

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, but does it matter that it only scans 1 level for archives?

i never understand the need for archive scanning anyway, are you protected still, yes!

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Prevx detected Malware............

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2008
  12. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

i tried it out andit said in the activate your program corner, programme is updated ONCE a week and ocasionally TWICE!!!!

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

apart from having a fast scan speed, good options and a nice enough taskbar icon, the rest is all negative from me.

most likely a FP if it is infact a reputable company, but better to be safe than sorry.

prevx1.JPG

14. Windfresh

What about rebooting a computer after receiving updates? Is it normal for modern antiviruses?

15. samjeba

samjeba Registered Member

16. Windfresh

Thank you samjeba! Your answer is comprehensive and helpful.

17. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Downloaded this AV and have been playing about with it the last few days. Initial observations;

# You have to provide a email address both for the initial download and for setting up the updater. No spam as yet.

# Present Installer has vdfs from last August, so 13 files, were needed to update/upgrade; took about 50 minutes on dial-up. A reboot was necessary, but the regular DAT updates released on a daily basis don't require one. In case any of the product files are updated a reboot might be required depending on the file that was updated.

# One license is valid per machine and you can reinstall and reactivate K7 AV any number of times on the same system as long as the license period is valid. In case you format the system or change your PC you need to contact K7support for reactivation.

# Good, clear GUI. K7 uses 5 processes, but these only take up 9MB VM and the Guard is very light in real-time.

Attached Files:

18. Blackcat

Configuration Options.

Attached Files:

19. Blackcat

Scanner is easy to set up and fast; no false positives picked up on the first complete scan. The Scanner also picks up corrupted files!

If malware is detected you have a number of options.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  20. Blackcat

Scheduler;

Updater. Minimum of one update is released per day.This might increase based on need. I had 2 updates yesterday.

Attached Files:

21. Blackcat

It has been tested over at Virus Bulletin but just the once; it passed in June 2007, Win XP.

My unofficial testing here reveals a not too shabby detection rate; just behind the likes of BitDefender, Dr Web and F-Prot. Quarantine and the warning Window of the Guard are clearly set out in this respect.

Attached Files:

22. Blackcat

# Very cheap to buy; $16/£10.

# Support answered my email within 2 hours and it was a detailed reply.

Overall; A promising AV; good GUI, fast scanner and a light-weight Guard.

Against this is the fact that its detection rate is unknown, it has poor termination potection and the frequency of updates needs to improve.

It may well be just cheap, flash candy but it is an AV, IMHO, to keep an eye on.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks BC. A very helpful series of comments & screenshots.

K7AV seems to be a very interesting AV. Not quite ready for primetime, but worthy of support at such a cheap price. I bought a license & I'll set aside an image for running it real-time.

(I had to "remove" the back-up CD they automatically appended to my order. Otherwise it's a very smooth ordering process using element5.)

K7 isn't easy to search for at Wilders because "K7" is only 2 characters, & the Wilders forum search engine doesn't accept that. I did a search for "K7 AV" and that worked. So did "K7AV".

A long while ago someone showed me how to use Google to do a search at Wilders for just two characters, but I fogot how to do it. Anybody know how?

P.S. They also have a Security Suite bit I am NOT into suites.

24. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

In google type "k7 site:www.wilderssecurity.com" without the quotations.

25. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

It has also been tested several times at West Coast Labs, and passed every test.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.