K7 Computing-what is this?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Windfresh, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I forgot to mention...

1) K7 installs without requiring restart. Therefore it's painless & easy to test it in shadow/frozen/etc mode.

2) I am not technically adept (duhh) therefore I don't know how to check if K7 can readily be terminated by malware. If someone tests this aspect, please share.

@huangker - Thanks for the search method. It works! I've recorded it in my surfing notes so I won't lose it again.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Thanks for this. K7 AV also has a nice exclude, where you can choose between the RTM and the Scanner.

Attached Files:

3. Blackcat

You can end all the running processes in Task manager and initial testing with Diamond's APT v.2.1 again suggests poor termination protection.
    Bill, you are now our unofficially appointed resident K7 AV guru ;) :D

4. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

And for those who still dwells with either Window 98 SE or Windows ME, K7 supports both :D

Cheers

5. Blackcat

Current version and DAT files are found here .

Attached Files:

6. Ropera

Ropera Registered Member

The drawback if you plan to purchase it: Requieres activation and it allows you to activate only once, even if you do not change any piece of hardware. If you reinstall your OS you are toasted as you need to email them requesting to reset the activation (which will be useful, again, only one time)

7. Blackcat

Are you sure. Have you tried reactivating?

I ask this because I sent them an email yesterday about this specific point. They replied, as stated previously, that you can reinstall and reactivate K7 AV any number of times on the same system as long as the license period is valid. They stated that ONLY in the cases of formatting your system or a hardware change do you need to contact them for reactivation again.

8. Ropera

Ropera Registered Member

yep, when I reinstall my system I reformat always.

9. Blackcat

Therefore unless you reformat/install new hardware, you should have no difficulty in reactivating this AV.

10. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Do you guys want to post some of the screenshots on the AV screenshots thread?

11. bellgamin

I must correct myself. When K7 is installed, it will download a group of updates, all at once. In some cases it will require a restart after doing that.

It's a good idea. Are you volunteering to do that VERY worthy task? I do hope so. I'm not very adept at screenies.

12. Blackcat

Added.

13. Blackcat

No, it's an in-house engine.

Updates every day this week so far, including to-day (Saturday).

Attached Files:

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, i certainly did not like it. :thumbd:

15. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I've tested the program today, and it's running very light as said above. But I don't trust it like other antivirus. I just have a feeling it's not legit. Well, I have that feeling with all the programs I've never heard about, and are less popular among the people.

16. bellgamin

I understand how you feel. I'm the same way. However, I did verify that Z7 is heavily used in Japan (my wife speaks & reads the language).

Even so, I must put a "HOLD" on any notion that I am recommending this antivirus. It seems the updater ceases to work properly after a while. I sent them a support request. They replied with a supposed "fix" to be done AFTER I do an update. That reply didn't make sense in view of the fact that my support request told them that Z7 was not updating at all, and had ceased to even connect out.

Before anyone asks -- YES, I did make sure that my other security apps were not blocking Z7. YES, I did do some restarts. YES, I checked that all other apps were able to update.

By the way -- If you do an uninstall/reinstall, Z7 does a cumulative update, but who wants to do THAT every day in order get the latest signatures? NOT me!

I have again requested their support. Until they give a RESPONSIVE reply and actually FIX this issue, I conclude that C.S.J. & Jadda are "spot on" with their comments.

17. Blackcat

I can confirm that the Updater stopped for me to-day as well and only a fresh install solved the problem. BUT I do not want to carry out this long procedure every few days on dial-up!!!!

Me too.

Overall, these recent hiccups bring out the value of putting a security program through a trial period before making any decisions about it and a possible purchase
    :blink:

However, IMHO it is still worth keeping an eye on if they can iron out some of the problems brought out here.

18. Blackcat

Therefore, I would have thought with this size userbase any problems with the Updater would have been solved very quickly.

19. georgepomone

georgepomone Registered Member

Hi All,
    I remember trying this out few months back and couldn,t remember what put me off it. I,ve just remembered they charge to download it again. So if you lose the installation file you have to contact them to download again and they say they will get in touch within two days. I thought that,s a lot of good if you want to reinstall so I gave it a push out of the door.
    George.

20. JasSolo

Any news about the updater problems?

Cheers

21. bellgamin

Their latest reply told me to uninstall/reinstall. I had already done that previously, but I tried it again anyway. Same results -- the update works right after the reinstall, then ceases to work shortly after. Their next suggestion was to call them on the phone (at my expense). Call long distance to India & try to get an updater fixed over the telephone? Not bloody likely!

I have uninstalled K7 -- $16 down the tube, but I deserve that for not trialing it for the full 30 days.:oops:

22. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Kudos to you bellgamin and Blackcat. :cool:
    What you guys did is part of what a forum is all about.
    Thanks for your testing. I was about to try it out.
    Not now!

Regards

23. JasSolo

Thanks for the info bellgamin.

Sounds like they get some kind of provision from the phone compagnies or something :D
    Luckyli it was only 16 bugs, you was bleeding...but still.

Cheers

24. Blackcat

Overall, their support is very quick to respond but they give me the impression that they are not very familiar with the program itself and are probably just general support staff.

After I told them that I got the updater to work again after a fresh uninstall/install, they then recommended this solution to Bellgamin.

But overall, I guess this is what trialing is all about :p

25. JasSolo

Thanks for the info Blackcat.
    I take it, that you like bellgamin, also uninstalled the product.
    Well, good for us that there is so many nice non heavy av's out there :)

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.