when was the last time anyone found a real live virus ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Long View, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Just curious - when was the last time anyone found a real live virus, as opposed to a false positive ?

Does anyone find viruses on a regular basis ? ( those who look for them for research purposes not included)

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

In Mother Russia (and China), you don't find viruses, viruses find you!

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I had a keylogger get me about 3 months ago with Avira. I should have booted into safemode to clean it but panicked, and put Kaspersky on and cleaned it, but it was real.

4. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

One week ago I formatted a PC. I installed XP then I try to dwld SP1 e SP2 from microsoft (W/O AV and Fwl installed).
    So this PC became infested!!! It was a great battle. Before a worm than 3 or 4 Trojans. Great challenge. But they won!!:oops:
    Then .. new installation.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  5. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I get them in my email about once a month, but I don't get infected if that is what you are asking.

6. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

If you aren't stupid you will never get virus, personally I can stay clean without any AV, but I have it, because my PC use not only me, also my familly...
    Today I can't imagine how people gets infected.

7. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

I detected a Zlob variant the other day.

A game mod's wiki page was hacked and every link sent you to a blank page embedded with a very "persistant" message box to download a codec for something-or-other. No matter what you click, it tries to download :p

Zlob is old news I know, but there is nothing like a real virus alert to get the blood pumping! :D

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

hmm it seems kaspersky is one of the best for removal?? a LOT OF people i know revert to them when they are actually infected for removal. is this really the case? sorry to be a bit ot but this seems a useful question in a thread like this

9. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I had a couple of Zlob detections myself last weekend. As far as an infection is concerned I can't remember the last time I had to deal with one. I do remember a lot of malware removals but not since I have gotten Norton/Vista.

10. R8y

R8y Registered Member

Maybe you live in wonderland with Peter Pan but I doubt that. You don't get infected because you are stupid. Any website can be hacked and put in malicious code which even fully patched system will be affected and infected. You never seen one does not mean it's not there. But good luck to you :D

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Some months ago, NOD32 flagged a file I downloaded. It was just the toolbar/adware in the installer though.

Even many more moths prior I have downloaded a file that my AV flagged as a trojan.

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Detection of virus is inevitable, IMO, soon or latter. The critical question is when this detection has occurred.

AV's real time scanner usually will perform web and files on access scan, it will either intercept virus when it comes from web thru d/l or will unearth virus during file to file deep scan(background). I consider the detection at this stage is lucky find and is of most valuable.

Other function of AV is its on-demand scan. User usually perform this task only when he/she feels like to do it, therefore the detection may not be in a timely fashion.

I use AV with high calibre realtime scanner, and it has demonstrated its ability several times. As to its on-demand function, nothing has been found so far. I guess the realtimer has outperformed the on-demander.

13. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Really? Oh, I can't believe!!! are you jocking?
    If you ever was infected such kind of virus it's you who we can say STUPID!
    If you was infected it doasn't mean others are stupids such you!

14. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

don't tell me you read e-mails on your windows pc without any protection on year 2007 dude....

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Lots of KillAV malware on USB sticks from my friends.....and luckily F-Secure caught them each time ;)

16. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I just don't care less about these. o_O Are they candies or pets? :D In my web world they don't exists anymore thanks to SAM. :rolleyes:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

17. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I don'r use Outlook and programs like that, I have e-mail on Yahoo and I can't remember case when I was infected with it..

18. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

ROTFL :D :D

19. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

Someone hacked neowin.net yesterday, and used some iframe shenanigans to spit a trojan at visitors to the site. The person also managed to bulk email another trojan to forum members. So that was 2 in one day for me; a very rare event! (The one sent via email was undetected by most of the 'big' av products. I sent the sample to the bods at Eset, Avira, and Kaspersky; one added it within 3 hours, one within 4, and the other hasn't added it yet.)

20. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

That's fear speaking - not logic. And Peter Pan was in Neverneverland.

chris, what protection do you need when you read your emails exactly? Like, as if.

As to the live virus, the last one I saw, the proper real virus was on DOS 3.0, it was the Ping Pong virus.

Mrk

21. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

well if that was adressed to me, i'd like to say i use pop peeper and i feel pretty confident and secure about it..still not perfect,but....what is?

22. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I wonder which one hasn't added it yet, could it be Eset?

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And one product would not need to add it.;)

24. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I get a two or more infected e-mail per week in a webmail account. I admit that I did set this account up for drawing spam and collecting malware, but all it took to do that was to put the e-mail addy in a few blogs, newsletters, and pages where comments can be posted, and it was quickly harvested. The average user can get the same results by being careless about where they post their e-mail addy. The webmail has AV scanning (Symantec) but it almost never detects the infected material on the day I get it. Usually less than half of the scanners at VirusTotal identify the infection on the first day.

Got sent a couple more trojans earlier this week while trying to find an uncommon beta app with P2P. A few times a year, I'll find a malicious or hacked website when I'm not looking for one.

Safe behavior is sufficient for e-mail. Checking all incoming files will take most of the risk from P2P. When sites you trust get hacked, it's a whole new problem, especially if the sites is in your trusted zone, whitelisted in NoScript, etc. It can be very bad if they're using a newly found exploit and M$ is taking their time with a patch.

With the increasing number of sites/servers being compromised, users should re-examine the settings for their trusted zones and the sites in their whitelists, making more use of "allow once" options when it's needed. No site or server is completely secure, which means that none can be completely trusted.
    Rick

25. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

I forgot the malware in hinhem.scr. I tested the file if NOD32 can find the malware in it, sadly it didn't detect it even though it's already in the signatures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.