Rollback RX Users - Have U Seen This?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by dja2k, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

With RollbackRX 7

I started getting automatic restarts right after the windows logo preboot. I noticed that if I let it restart like twice, then it enters windows again. This always typically happens randomly when restarting or when turning on my computer. Anyone see this happen?

dja2k

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

It could be a sign of a corrupt file system.
    Try c:\>chkdsk /f.

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Nope already ran checkdisk various times and nothing. Funny thing is, if I remove RollbackRX, this problem never appears restart after restart. It is only with RollbackRX. I have seen this more when RollbackRX defragments its snapshots during boot and then continues to load windows.

dja2k

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for your confirmation to that issue. It's exactly the same as i experienced when testing RollbackRX and that auto-defrag of snapshots effectively ruined some rollbacks permanantly and even forced me to revert to a single AUTHENTIC snapshot just to see a GUI again.

It's an issue alright and discouraged me from bothering with it anymore unless they sort the issues/bugs out of it.

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

That may not be the case as you described..

6. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Do e-mail HDS with your "purported problem" for support.:cool:

7. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

By default, Rollback takes a snapshot before it defrags on boot. If you restore to that snapshot, do you still get the problem when it boots then?

Looking at my own setup, I realised that I have the defrag on boot turned off. I do defrag with RB's defragger but I do it from within Windows after deleting snapshots. I don't know if this is why I haven't seen this problem.

It might be worth trying that to see if the problem goes away.

Graham

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's like this then without reservation or exaggeration. Whether the defrag was culprit in the destruction of the program's normal operation, or symptomatic of another underlying issue, theres no doubt from my experiences with it that a serious problem is evident in BOTH 7.21 + Version 8 which i had expected some redeeming value from the earlier faults.

Conclusion: (Personal Opinion) Program NEEDS serious attention and thorough in-house + extensive public beta-testing before releasing like before.

EASTER

9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Agree....Microsoft certainly needs to hear this clearly. Just heard that Windows Vista SP 1 may be released soon.

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I second that. My assumption is that most RBRx-users have those experiences, sooner or later. As long they can fix it, it's OK and continue to use it. After all RBRx is fast and uses less space.

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This issue has nothing to do with Microsoft. Quite a few users have had these issues, with Rollback, including myself. It's their driver modification to windows file system. I refrain from being to hard on them myself as I am using Raid 0 and they don't officially support it. Just the program will work and work, and then suddenly problems.

12. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Peter,

Very true, although v7 seems to be much more stable than v8. I still like the speed of Rollback and its synergy with FDISR. I have used v7 for over 3 months now without problems after several earlier "chkdsk" crashes with v8.

As long as you have a good imaging program you can get your system back. You do have to uninstall/reinstall Rollback, email them for a license reset which is bothersome. You again have to go thru the same process when you want to defrag your system drive or resize your partitions.

Silver

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

With all due respect, what good is a quick restore program if a user needs to have to turn to their imaging program to make up for that limitation or malfunction, and is exactly why FD-ISR enjoys such remarkable loyal support as evidenced by great satisfaction & confidence it will always safely reverse ANY problems without disruption or issue 99.9% if not 100% of the time perfectly. The ARCHIVE feature makes the 100% dependability expectation complete.

14. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well good thing that RollbackRX isn't my primary way of restoring. I rely more on FD-ISR and ACRONIS for that.

Can I just disable the defrag options (after deleting after creating 4 snapshots) instead and do it manually once in a while? I mean, there isn't really much changes done to my primary drive (RBX Protected Drive) besides its own snapshots. How many snapshots do you guys do daily and how long do you keep them for?

dja2k

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  15. ErikAlbert

Wise decision, this way you won't lose your snapshots due to bugs or due to restoring.

16. silver0066

Easter,

You are right about that. Just a few minutes ago, I uninstalled Rollback in one of my clean FDISR snapshots and it trashed my D: data partition. I have now uninstalled Rollback from all of my machines, I have 3 licenses, and I have just chalked it up to another rip-off by a software company that puts out crap.

I am surprised that Leapfrog contracted with these people to sell First Defense which I have been using without problems for years.

Horizon has known about the "chkdsk" problem for over a year, has known about the stupid requirement that makes you beg them for a license reset when ever you want to restore an image, re-partition your hard drive, and/or defragment your system drive. They promised on their forum over 6 months ago to take care of these problems with their 8.01 update which they stated would be released early last July. They can't even keep their promises.

I wasted $170 on this piece of crap and I am p..... off.

Silver

17. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well I have no problem uninstalling RollbackRX and Re-Installing it, reactivation is a pain though after a while. Good think I only use RollbackRX as a windows restore alternative.

dja2k

18. silver0066

It is not much of a restore alternative if it trashes your hard drive!!!

19. ErikAlbert

Do you mean that all your personal data was gone due to RollbackRx ?

20. silver0066

Hi Erik,

That's right. After the uninstall, my D drive was left unformatted. Just totally trashed and all my personal data was lost. I do keep a backup of that drive using Superflexible File Synchronizer, so I had no problem getting all of it back, minus a couple of days.

I really did like the speed of Rollback, but I am unwilling to put up with this anymore, particularly in the light of the need to uninstall before you create or restore an image, and also before you can re-partition or defrag your drive. Then you have to email Horizon wait for them to reset your license so you can install it again.

I have finally come to the same conclusion that you and Pete did. The program is a piece of crap!! I should have taken your advice earlier and dumped it, but after the $170 investment for 3 licenses plus maintenance, it was hard to do.

I had been sailing along fine with v7 for about 3 months with no problems except the reset issue, but this last crash was the straw that broke the camels back. I had experienced the same kind of crashes with an early v7 a little over a year ago and received a refund (minus 15% restocking fee). After their assurances that the chkdsk problem had been cured, I purchased it again. When I upgraded to v8 I had 2 crashes and went back to v7 3 months ago.

Horizon has known about these problems for over a year and have done nothing except pay lip service to them.

I am very surprised that Leapfrog picked this mismanaged and incompetent company to market FDISR, which as you know, is the best instant recovery program on the market.

Silver

21. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I had a similar NTFS D drive suddenly became raw (unformatted) drive one week ago. Then I suspect that it was because of possibly 2 programs that I tested earlier in the day.

1. Drive Discovery
    2. Eraser (using the 1st and last 2K wipe method)
    (Both programs had "bad" records on messing the MFT data up)

Fortunately, I was able to use Getdataback for NTFS to recover all my data from the raw D drive. Spent 2 hours on it though.

I only applied Rollback on my C drive. Will it affect my D drive ?

22. ErikAlbert

Although you could restore your personal data, this is indeed very scaring.
    That's the opposite of Immediate System Recovery.
    No wonder you ditched it forever, I would do exactly the same without hesitation, no software does that to me.
    I understand you kept on using it, after all $170 is alot of money for one software.

It seems to me that HDS can't fix these problems at all, one year is long enough to fix it.
    Why do they waste their time on adding new features, while the rest doesn't work properly ? That doesn't make sense, unless they want to milk more money out of it as long it lasts.

23. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I've always followed the adventures of Rollback users with interest ( :blink: ) ever since I ditched version?5 was it : cant really recall...I am sad to see this really intriguing app have these recurrent issues... I was even thinking about a reinstall...mainly on silver0066's experiences ..but now..Hmmm..
    o_O :( :doubt:
    :eek:
    I echo that, I never really saw the synergy of the combination on my box and was quite frankly surprised by the combination/merger. I also regard FDISR as a really stellar tool and never really understood Leapfrogs 'strategic' move

I know this is a kind of trashy post but surely enough is enough now.
    I still fear for Leapfrog and the future with HDS...
    For anyone who shows interest here I send them to "BootBack" now. If Todd ever releases an updated version then I will be off to BootBack.
    Hopefully they might give a deal on current "Raxco" licensees, but if they dont then so be it.

I cant actually remember how I coped pre-FDISR LOOL. ;)

24. silver0066

Yes, it does affect all partitions on the system disk as it resides in the MBR.

25. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thats its, I have un-installed RollbackRX as well. I have 180 GB on my D: partition that is worth more than having RollbackRX fail on me.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.