Rollback RX Users - Have U Seen This?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by dja2k, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Wise decision again, losing 180gb of data will cost alot more than $70. :D

2. Wintings

Wintings Registered Member

I am another disappointed customer who has uninstalled Rollback Rx v8 because of all its many failings. If only Norton GoBack were available in a Vista-compatible version....

3. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

You know I was thinking exactly the same the other day when FDISR made it very easy to get my system clean yet again.

Funny how we just take it for granted that it will save us again and again.

Suppose I must be quite lucky never to have needed to use Rollback. It sounds pretty dangerous!

4. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Do please consider trying FDISR instead of ANYTHING Norton including GoBack. I am sure you would be amazed at the difference.

I know they are not exactly the same type of program, but if you have used Rollback, you will LOVE FDISR.

Ken

5. ErikAlbert

Never use an unreliable software like RollbackRx to save your system.
    That's the main difference between RollbackRx and FirstDefense-ISR : FirstDefense-ISR helps you, RollbackRx needs help from you.
    Saving your system is not a game, that's something very serious.

6. fce

fce Registered Member

maybe i'm just the lucky one using rollback rx :D

my only expectation with this software is too restore my system whenever i got BSOD due to driver software installed or any corrupted application installed.

i got BSOD 3times when i installed Asus driver and Rollback Rx restore my previous snapshot without any problem.

i guess you guys who experience problem with Rollback Rx do a lot of things that can't control by Rollback Rx :D

i also run chkdsk to verify that crashing problem with Rollback Rx....as you know i also installed Kaspersky IS7 which also have issue with chkdsk....but sitll i didn't experience crashing problem or hang ups problem....Maybe you can give me some chkdsk command (ei, chkdsk /f /r /crash my HDD using RBx :D ) so that i can verify that Rollback Rx will crash using chkdsk.

i'm saying this as a new user and still trying Rollback Rx. I'm not against any software, i like FDISR unfortunately Vista don't like FDISR.

7. ErikAlbert

Don't shout too early, you just started with RollbackRx, that doesn't mean anything.
    They are also working on FDISR and WinVISTA to get it fixed.

8. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

You are not only the lucky one.

I've used Rollback Rx for a few months now without any problem.
    In fact, it saved me twice on 2 systems when I cannot even boot up the system.

I tried FDISR and did not like it 'cos it occupies too much disk space and takes such a long time to create a snapshot and I do need to make snaphots regularly as I test or update any software.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Rollback should crash using Chkdsk. But be aware most of us that have had issues, the issues started with BSOD's.

Couple of other things. Having KIS/KAV 7.0 doesn't mean you automatically will have chkdsk problems. Some folks did, a lot didn't.

Also note the FDISR problem, may be local to your machine. I tested it here under Vista and it worked fine.

Pete

10. ErikAlbert

That's because you don't know how to use FDISR. I test alot of softwares too and I have only two snapshots.

11. Peter2150

Nanana1

Post a question about using FDISR in the leapfrog forum, and we can show you how to use FDISR without the issues you describe.

Pete

12. fce

fce Registered Member

i told you guys i like FDISR after reading a lot of happy user. unfortunately my Vista didn't like FDISR.

but after experiencing how Rollback Rx8 works (specially that very fast snapshot copmare to almost 1 hour using windows system restore) i'm very satisfied to it.

it works good for my system, so i might stick with it unless after 14days trial i experience that problem you guys posted here.

13. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I'll try...i will start first to read all the posts in the leapfrog forum.

14. Peter2150

Hi fce

What I would do is uninstall Rollback, and setup your system the way you routinely use it. Then install Rollback and use it for trying things. This will reduce the chance of problems.

Pete

15. fce

fce Registered Member

Hello Peter,
    I installed Roolback Rx from my clean install vista. Anyway i have a lot of snapshot that i can restore incase the problem you guys are talking about here give me some headache.

thanks

16. Peter2150

Hi fce

Not sure you understand. If the problem that has been discussed here about Rollback does occur, than none of those snapshots(if you are talking rollback snapshots) will be of any value at all. That is the problem.

Pete

17. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi silver0066,

The above statement is not true.
    1. If you have selected to protect only the C: drive it will not affect any other partition. I have performed a lot of tests on Rollback RX and this never happens. The only possibile way that it could happen is if you have modified your partitions after you have installed Rollback RX.;)
    2. Actually it does not resides in the MBR. During the install only a small modification happens on the mbr. The preboot screen of Rollback resides in your partition.:)

18. Peter2150

Technically you are right. But if something trashes up the partition table, that will affect all the partitions on the drive. Alas I know.

19. fce

fce Registered Member

there's two known problem of Rollback Rx V8 right? 1. automatic restart right after the windows logo preboot....2. chkdsk issue

unfortunately i didn't experience that problem....can't tell if my snapshot will be useful or not if i got that problem all is just her say for me.

i got 3 BSOD and easily i restore my system without any problem....creating snapshot for less than 15secs is very impressive (compare to windows system restore which takes me for almost an hour). This 2 factor is enought for me that rollback rx is pretty good product.

problem is a problem ....i don't problem the problem if i don't get the problem. :D

20. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi Peter,

I agree (only for Raid_0 and dynamic disks, which Rollback does not support) but, if I remember correctly, from your post over the horizon's forum, you used a Raid_0 configuration to install Rollback RX. Your's is a totally different situation from all the others and it was as you were asking for trouble :p .
    I performed a series of tests over rollback RX and I am 99% sure that Rollback cannot cause any trouble at the partition table. at least if a user does not defrag or resize the partition. And for sure it does not mess the mbr.

ps. if you want more info on this pm me; I do not want to post in pubblic because I discovered a serious flaw over Rollback Rx during this tests (I already informed Horizon DataSys)

21. Peter2150

You are right about the Raid 0, and that's why I give Rollback a bit of slack. I hose my partition table with another program, and thats what gave me fits. It did take out the whole disk. I have plenty of images, but I discovered a corrupt partition table can be a real beast to contend with.

22. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Rollback has crashed two of my systems, neither of which is RAID, more than once. It does not happen that often, I used it once for 3 months with no problems, but last week it crashed again due to "chkdsk" problem. I have used Rollback on and off since July of 2006. Every version of 7 and 8 has caused BSOD's and trashed disks. No defrags were performed while Rollback was installed.

Believe me, it will happen to you if you use it long enough. Do a search on Wilders for "rollback" and you will see the problem more clearly.

23. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Would FDISR be able to correct this?

24. Peter2150

Unfortunately no. If the partition table is intact you have to restore an image. If the partition table is damaged you may have to delete it before you can even restore an image.

25. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Well i must say im a little worried after reading this thread ,as i purchased rollback rx 8 a little while ago.I have to say i haven't had any problems whatsoever ,however based on some folks experiences here,it seems that there a high possibility that i may.I don't have any partitions (just the one drive)so maybe rollback is more problematic with more partitions?.In any case ,the consensus seems to be that FDISR is safer and more reliable.Just how easy is this to setup and run compared with rollback? ,(restore/snapshot time etc)and why is it more reliable than rollback when both are software and are susceptible to bugs?.There seems to be folks with chdsk problems that i know nothing about (ive had 98se for years ...just changed to 2000 pro).What does chdsk do and how would i know if i had such a problem? in regards with rollback.Any comments thoughts about whether i should look at changing my current "lifesaver" would be appreciated.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.