Creating A Internet Security Suite with Freeware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TKDude145, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKDude145

TKDude145 Registered Member

I personally love KIS 7. I would buy, but I don't particularly wish spend $140 for three years of outstanding protection if I could get the same/similar protection with freeware.

Now, I already have Active Virus Shield, which because of Kaspersky has extremely high detection rates, however a Web Defense program, a Proactive Defense program (HIPS, I assume), an Internet Traffic Scanner, a Anti-Hacker program and a really good firewall.

If anyone has some suggestions on good freeware that can be used for the above, please post 'em. Or if you have your own Freeware Internet Security Suite, please post it, too!

Thanks,

Joe

2. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

regarding kis7, you should look out for special offers, because they always seem to have them. e.g. the 3yr systweak license for ~$18! Also, on ebay some chinese resellers sell KIS at great prices. Regardless of what you hear here in terms of legality, I believe its all above-board - if kaspersky had an issue, it would have moved by now. For example on ebay Aus (my country) there is this particular item:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KASPERSKY-IN...oryZ3805QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if you check the seller's feedback you can tell its perfectly legit.

As for a freeward security suite, you won't get a standalone web defense program. Maybe substitute avast for AVS? Comodo firewall is excellent. As for HIPS, maybe try EQSecure. Also look out for Comodo 3, from alpha testing its HIPS is going to be very strong. Also, use FF over IE (or use IE7pro), with adblock and noscript if you can stand the hassle. The thing I like about KIS7 is its all the one program and very neatly bound together at that, no hassles and you know you'll get a quality product in the future - they won't pull the plug anytime soon. But its also true that there's probably nothing KIS offers that you can't get for free with some effort. I just pay for the convenience :)

Good luck with your shopping/searching

3. TKDude145

Hey tamdam! Thanks for your prompt reply! After submitting this thread I noticed "KAS 7, 3 year license, raise your hand" thread below it. Is the 3 yr the Systweak license still being offered. I Googled it, but couldn't find it.

4. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

unfortunately, no :(

Such good things only last for a short time.

However, assuming you live in US, you should be able to get some good deals elsewhere. Amazon sometimes sell KIS for free after rebate. You can search this forum for some ideas :)

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

6. TKDude145

I might use the link you provided. Just a quick question, though: Will I be able to download KIS 7.025 (I think that's the latest version of KIS 7) and use the key for it instead of KIS 6? I think I will be able to, but I was just wondering you think and/or know.

7. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

assuming the frys.com sale is for a retail version (not OEM) you should have no issues.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

My simple solution which i use on my friends computers is AVS combined with windows defender or comodo boclean. I've bought a lot of software in the past but these days i find i can get by just fine on freeware.

9. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I've been clean for over a year now using Avast! Home, Comodo firewall, and SpywareTerminator, all free, plus SpywareBlaster, MVPS Hosts file, Firefox with Noscript and ad-block, and a few on demand scanners, that never seem to find anything.
    Also clean up after every browsing session using Ccleaner.
    Not at all sure what Web Defense is, but Avast includes a web shield, as one of the 7 resident modules, if that's any use. It's prevented my browser opening a few (apparently infected) web pages from time to time.

10. Long View

Long View Registered Member

How about taking a slightly more radical approach ?

Hardware Firewall
    Firefox - No scripts
    Returnil to protect C:

Other free anti-virus or anti-spyware programs can be loaded occasionally just to verify that all is ok

11. questrisyn

questrisyn Registered Member

I've been getting a little pissed at Zonealarm ISS 7 as it is a resource hog and interfers with other progs. I'm also looking for a leaner approach.

I'm going to go with:

Router firewall
    Windows XP firewall
    AVG (free) (http://free.grisoft.com/)
    Adaware 2007 (http://lavasoft.com/)
    and Sandboxie (http://www.sandboxie.com/).

Sandboxie prevents write operations to any files not assigned to "play status" within a virtual sandbox. This means that any malicious scripts encountered while using your browser are rendered uselss. Definitely a powerful tool, although I can't yet vouch for the quality of the software.

BTW:

In case you're still interested, here's KIS (only a 1 yr sub, however) for $28, until the end of July.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19777&vpn=KIS-OEMDIS&manufacture=Kaspersky Lab

12. TKDude145

Thanks everyone for your replies! I've been using CCleaner, Power Shadow, and Firefox for awhile (I love 'em!) Anyway, I'm either going to use Avast! Home or buy a few KIS on the ebay link. I've used Spyware Terminator in the past, and I might go back to it when the new version is released. I'm also thinking about using Comodo Firewall. Thanks again!:D

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Is there a chance it is OEM? I would probably buy it for the future, but I have the impression that KL does not upgrade OEM versions so it would not be suitable if it is.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

14. TKDude145

Man Kaspersky rocks! I just bought 6 one-year licenses! By the way, if you go to Ebay Link (thanks again tamdam:D ), you can purchase some one year licenses (that work w/ KIS 7) for $18 a piece if you pay the seller directly PayPal to PayPal, just contact him. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  15. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

You can combine freeware programs for a suite easily.
    Lots of choices too.
    Avast Home and Comodo firewall are two programs that I would start with.

There are a lot of options for free on-demand A/S scanners along with BOClean or Spyware Terminator as real-time.

Sandboxie,DSA are two more good free programs.

It's up to you and what you like.

16. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

not sure, but obviously the OP's decided to take a different route, so doesn't matter i guess :)

As for OEM or not, considering it comes with a nice pretty box and all that I'd say its most likely retail, but you'd have to ask Frys.com to be sure.

17. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

good to hear, but just interested why you bought 6 licenses? For 6 computers? If you bought it hoping it'll last for 6 yrs or something, you'll be in for a rude shock...

18. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I bought it anyway, and feel pretty sure that the boxed copies are not OEM, but I could be wrong.

As for the 6 years, why would not a commercial, unused key not last for several years? Do they only last for one or two upgrades? I seem to remember that there was some question as to whether the KAV 5.5 would upgrade to V7. I don't remember the final answer.

Regards,
    Jerry

20. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

I believe retail boxed copies can last forever, but that digital (non-physical) copies usually start ticking when you either activate it or, 3 months from purchase date, whichever is first. The OP bought a digital copy from a kaspersky china reseller. I could be wrong though...

21. TKDude145

Why wouldn't it last six years? I doubt that Kaspersky will suddenly plummet into the fiery depths of McAfee and suck o_O . And once KIS 8 comes out,I would assume that the activation codes I have could be used with it, and if not I'll just use KIS 7 until the six years are up. No big deal, in my opinion :D .

By the way, thanks for the eBay link again, tamdam! :)

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, tamdam, there always seems to be some confusion relating to licenses.o_O

There is a two year license on ebay, and is think it is a key only.

Regards,
    Jerry

23. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

That's alot of "assuming".
    Since you weren't saving any money by getting more than a one-year license at that rate, it also would have given you time to read the finer points of Kaspersky's EULA and contact them if in doubt before purchasing any additional licenses, as it sounds from your post that your intention is to use it as a 6-year license for a single PC.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but 6 one-year licenses don't equal one 6-year license. In that amount of time, version support gets dropped; companies can be bought and sold; and in general, alot happens on the computing scene in a six-year time period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.