Renewed Failure of Automatic Updates

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Green Giant, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

I saw from the Ewido site that the number of threats protected against today (April 6, 2007) totalled 731,588. My paid-for copy of AVG AntiSpyware 7.5 still showed yesterday's number.

Neither manual update via the main page of AVG nor automatic update would work, so again I had to:

1) Close down AVG

2) Download the full database of signatures

3) Restart AVG

4) Click on 'Update Now' on the main page of AVG AntSpyware 7.5 for the latest signtures to be downloaded and the date on the main page change to April 6.

This is supposed to be a security program and was good whilst still German controlled.

Is this a deliberate plot to get those of us with 'permanent' licences to look elsewhere?

2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

They have already stated in previous threads here they need to release new build sometime in mid-April to address update issues due to server load. Why don't we all chill until they actually do that and let them show what they can do? :)

So far I, as a paid customer, have not noticed anything wrong in my AVG AS.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Why would Grisoft want to lose customers? They may want Ewido users to buy AVG Anti-Malware/Internet Security, but looking elsewhere is probably not their focus. The update issues will be fixed in the next build, though I must wonder how AVG Anti-Malware and Internet Security do not face the same problem even though they use the same database and update mechanism. :doubt:

A hunch tells me that part of the reason could be that Grisoft's Akamai high-speed servers are seemingly not used for AVG Anti-Spyware, and hence results in such problems.

4. Green Giant

Thanks lordpake and Firecat for your postings.

All seemed normal again (that it AVG AntiSpyware 7.5 updating automatically) yesterday and the day before. Now I am back to having to watch their web site to see when new updates have been released or look for the helpful postings of roddy 32 on the Updates Form in Wilders. Hence my frustration, at what is now an unsatisfactory security program, whilst this situation persists.

5. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

No, they do not use the same update mechanism, these are totally different programs. Also, AVG Anti-Spyware uses Akamai for serving the files but the update request is processed at different servers first. That's exactly where the bottleneck is.

@Green Giant: What error message do you get? Or is it simply stuck?

6. Green Giant

The program hangs at 'Downloading files. Receive data' with the Cancel Update button greyed out.

Hope this helps!

Green Giant

7. peter.ewido

Hmm, you could also try terminating the connection of avgas.exe by using the built-in connection viewer. After that you should be able to use the update again.

8. Green Giant

Thanks Peter.Ewido!

I have done as you suggested and tried to update. Now I have had the expected reply that no update was available, instead of nothing happening.

If I have any further concerns I will post them here.

Best Wishes

9. Green Giant

Automatic updates have failed again today (April 10, 2007). I saw, a few moments ago, from the www.ewido.net site that the total number of signatures now covered was 739,008. My paid for copy of AVG still showed the number for yesterday. So it was yet again:

1) Downloading complete database from http://www.ewido.net/en/download/updates/

2) Shut down AVG AntiSpyware 7.5

3) Install the download.

4) Restart AVG.

5) Click on 'Update Now' on the first page of AVg to download the latest signatures and for the program to show today's date.

A continuing shambles!

10. peter.ewido

To what is the check interval of the automatic updates set on your computer? Has enough time passed so it could check at least once?

11. Green Giant

The automatic update interval is set at 30 minutes and has never been changed from that since the software was installed.

12. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Hmm, I wonder how often AVG will update the definition files on their update servers. Every 30 minutes, every hour, every few hours?

13. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

All options you mentioned are possible.

Gerard

14. obbop

obbop Registered Member

Ahhhhhh, so i am not the only humanoid having problems updating.

For the past three or four days, when ever I spanked the update button (I do manually activated updates) the program whispered to me that the server was unavailable.

Did the FAQ thing and tried reinstalling anti-spyware 7.5 but no change.

Hoping the problem is at their end, not mine.

Sent the folks an e-mail. Will wait for reply.

Program was working fine last 3 months or so since I grabbed the paid version.

Went with AVG based in part on the recommendations here and elsewhere.

Doo doo happens so will be patient.

Had Webroot Spy Sweeper before but it was sooooooo slooooooow and seemed to hang up while working that I had to try something else.

Years of Norton's increasing giddyness drove me away from them around 3 or 4 years ago.

Hope AVG can keep control of their beasts!!!!!

15. Firecat

I have a question not directly related to this issue. I use AVG Internet Security and the Anti-Spyware engine has not seen a single update since April 8, be it manual or automatic. Has any Ewido/AVG Anti-Spyware user also seen this behaviour? Why is this so? o_O

16. Green Giant

I have just looked at www.ewido.net and have seen that so far there is no update today. The last was on April 10 giving a total signature database of 739,044.

I wanted to be sure that I had the latest download.

17. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Sorry Gerard, I meant how frequent AVG (as a company) would update the definition files on the official update servers. I thought that would affect the update interval that users set within AVG products. If AVG only uploads new definition files twice a day, then setting an AVG program's update interval to 30 minutes would not seem very useful.

18. gerardwil

There is no fixed pattern for update frequencies afaik. In the past it varies from 0-6 daily. And sometimes the time between updates was only a few minutes :)

Gerard

19. Green Giant

This morining (April 12) from the UK, www.ewido.net shows no new database of signatures since April 10.

I cannot believe that the instigators of malware have suddenly stopped, yet no word from the Ewido staff!

20. gerardwil

There is one:

Attached Files:

21. Green Giant

Thanks Geraldwil for the info!

22. Firecat

Something screwy has been going on with Grisoft since Easter. Support is suddenly slower than usual, updates are not as timely as before. I think its gonna take up to a week to get things back in order.

23. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Well, Green Giant, just to let you know that you are not alone: my AVG antispyware v. 7.5, paid edition, has been updating sporadically. For the last two updates, including today's I had to update by the cumbersome process of downloading the updates from the Ewido networks page, installing them, shutting down AVG, restarting and then manually updating.
    Since we were promised a solution by the middle of April (new client?) and since today is April 12th, perhaps this problem will soon be resolved. But I am not holding my breath.

24. gerardwil

Latest 6 updates on this box.

Gerard

Attached Files:

25. Firecat

And here my AVG remains stuck at 2482. WTF? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.