Vista...Activation req'd on restored images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by graydog7, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graydog7

graydog7 Registered Member

I notice that Vista detects a change of Harddisk :0(

I backed up my initial Activated installation and after many issues trying to install the latest Nvidia drivers, decided to restore the original state to a different drive and start again. It restored OK but needed Activating again.

This could have a serious impact on the effectiveness of TrueImage. Run out of Activations and you're stuffed.

GH

2. LeChuck

LeChuck Registered Member

In theory you need to reactivate your Vista, when the weighted score of hardware changes reaches 25. Score for the change of the hard disk is 11.

Whatever, I think most of the TI users will restore their image on the original hard drive. Therefore activation should not be needed for most of them.

If your Vista License is not OEM, and if the activation count has reached 0, you can call MS Activation center and ask them to reset the activation counter because you have changed some parts of your computer, or the entire computer.

I do not think this is a big issue.

3. graydog7

graydog7 Registered Member

But then again, you didn't think Guybrush Threepwood was a big issue either! Did you?

:thumb: :cautious:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello graydog7,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as LeChuck mentioned this is one of the Windows Vista limitations. I would recommend that you have a look at this Microsoft web page to find more detailed explanation.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. Maestr0

Maestr0 Registered Member

I know this...I just installed my cloned drive and have been on the phone with microsoft trying to get my LEGIT copy of windows vista ultimate activated...this really sux.

6. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

7. struppi66

struppi66 Registered Member

Hi Folks

I made all Updates, but still have the problem.
    So it's a problem of this f****** OS Vista!
    It's just absurd if it's not possible to make a Backup to another HD without activating Vista again. I'm waiting for the time we have to ask Billy-Boy for a permission to open a word-file....

Thanx

Struppi

8. Maestr0

Maestr0 Registered Member

Yeah, it was a huge pain for me. I bought a larger HD for my laptop, so I used Acronis, cloned the old to the new and thought I would just pop it in and be done.
    Nope. Not only did I have to reactivate, but it took me 2 days of calling to get it done. For some reason the activation code with my OEM Vista Ultimate was not showing up in their computers. I must have been shuffled to like 10 different departments. Finally, someone helped me and I got it re-activated....I don't anticipate it being any easier if I have to go through this again!
    M

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. I do have a copy of Vista but had already pretty much decided not to use it until it was really out of beta. The more I read the longer I think it will be before Vista is worth considering as a serious OS.

10. DrTeeth

DrTeeth Registered Member

It's enough to make one go onto P2P and find a hack which turns a Vista installation into an activated OEM one. I have one just in case this [censored] happens to me.

11. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This is all part of MS's OS protection method, blame MS if you have to blame someone or blame all the pirates that drove MS to using this method.

However, there is no limit on the number of activations. Just on the number that can be done online without calling. Calling only takes a couple of minutes and they can't refuse you activation unless you have an illegal copy and they can tell that from the phone conversation -- they'll probably ask you if you have it installed on more than one machine, for example. Changing hardware is not a reason for MS to fail to allow acitivation under its license to the user. Making you call in a pita but it's MS that's causing the nuisance.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'll just do my happy penguin dance instead. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.