NOD32 Manually scan stops randomly

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by Alphalutra1, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

So I just installed NOD32 and have no other real time scanner on board and SSM is in learning mode ATM so nothing is really messing around with nod right now. So I tried to do an indepth scan, ate dinner, then came back noticing that the scan window wasn't open and it apparently hadn't finished saying that it had been interrupted by a user (no one was near the pc) :doubt: So I tried it again and left it running while I surfed the internet... It randomly stopped less than ten minutes into the scan. I have repeated this again one more time and have the same results, with it saying that it was interrupted by the user :doubt: (incorrect, only a blank entry is entered saying a scan was started) . Any ideas? I have windows xp home with SP2. My setup is in my sig.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  2. Alphalutra1

Okay, I actually went and looked at the scan while it was scanning (must stay awake :D ) and I figured out where it crashed. When it started to scan the Sandboxie files in my application data it crashes :doubt: . Not good. I am going to try to delete the sandbox then see what happens. Still, I don't think the on-demand scanner should ever crash, regardless of what is being scanned.

-----edit----
    Major update! After going through and renaming some of the sandbox names because they were too long and wouldn't delete, I figured out that nod has some major error in scanning files too long, that causes it to stop scanning. Also, it doesn't even say that the user stopped it, it just stops, so my previous posts were incorrect in the fact that I thought it said the user stopped them, when in fact it was the log files for previous scans that I cancelled immediately. The scanner instead just crashes and leaves a log file saying a scan was started and thats it. So after I hand edited the sandbox and deleted all the files in there (I needed to clean it anyways), I started another scan. Around 30 minutes into the scan and after it got past the 80% mark, it crashed again(\me mutters very many oaths under breath) This is most likely due to long file names, but I cannot be bothered to wait over 30 to 40 minutes staring at a scan to find out what files are the problems. There shouldn't be a problem. This is a pretty bad bug if you ask me. Any ideas on how to fix the bugger (no pun intended :D)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

this is exactly whats happening to me. My scheduled scan doesnt even show starting overnight. I set it to different increments this morning and scan will stop and show the percentage completed in the tray at bottom. Then poof, its gone and scan stopped.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

All scans stop when it gets to my C:/ Documents and settings folder.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Found my problem. I kept scanning individual folders with Nod. First Documents and settings, all users, application data. Starting clicking on each one and scanning it with Nod, and damn, each one completed except for Greenborder. It would kick the scan out every time. Guess it is going to have to go for now. I will remove it and see if system scan works now.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

took greenborder off and Nod is scanning perfectly. But I had Nod and Greenborder before the beta and they had no issues. So it is something in the beta.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

uninstalled beta, reinstalled it, same with greenborder and all works.

8. Alphalutra1

I also figured out that NOD won't let me delete the logfiles for the scans that crash. This is pretty strange and actually a horrible flaw that could probably be exploited pretty easily if you ask me. Hopefully someone from Eset will respond with a fix soon.

Alphalutra1

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I had the same issue but after rebooting it fixed it. Dont know if this will help you.

10. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I also have same problem with it quitting during scan and I also use GreenBorder. I have mailed eset before I saw this thread.

Thanks,

Chris

11. Alphalutra1

I think something in the new anti-stealth detection fails in the sanboxes artificial drives they make for some reasons. However, I rebooted, and now I finally got a scan done. It took 45 minutes though, so scan length has definately increased.(never mind, my hardrive is now 100 GB full instead of 50 GB lol)

Alphalutra1

12. Napoli

Napoli Registered Member

Hello all. I used norton before and i've just installed nod version2.7
    i also have same issue when i make a full scan it stop's, what should i do :oops: ?

13. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I am in the same boat and I don't have GreenBorder. I downloaded 2.7 over 2.5. Everything seemed fine till I tried a NOD scan. It will start ,hangup then go away. What I mean by hangup is the bar telling you what file is being scaned will not change. The bar below it will change but after about 10 minutes it will go back to desk top and there is no log. I tried redownloading again but that didn't help. My scan will usually get to C:\$ISR\1\DELL\MEDIAEXE\ then hang up.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  14. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

for the crash situation, well there is a magic "/crashlog" parameter for the command line.....

Produced log would be of great value for us.

15. WilliamP

I finally fixed it. I had to uninstall NOD and re-install. Now the scan works fine.

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

To reinstall the beta version , right ?

17. WilliamP

Yes I re-installed the Beta and all is well. I tried all kinds of things to get the scan to work before re-downloading. Now I am happy.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Same for me, did a uninstall and reinstalled Nod beta and it works even with Greenborder. Thank you Eset.

19. Alphalutra1

2 days ago I might have done it, but seeing as though noone from eset has replied until now, I somehow have got it working in the past two days so it would be of no use...

Alphalutra1

20. rothko

rothko Registered Member

i had the same problem - i installed 2.7 over the top of 2.5, ran a scan to see if the tweaks turned up any FPs, and the scan just quit after about 15mins, log showed it as still running. i ran the install again, so installing 2.7 over 2.7 (no uninstalls) and ran the on-demand scan again and it completed without any stops. oh, and not FPs!

21. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Just wondering if anybody who has experienced this issue has tried running chkdks with the /f switch, for example
    Code:
    chkdsk c: /f
    Cheers :)

22. fosius

fosius Registered Member

I do still experience this issue. NOD32 just disappears when it scans this path: "D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data".. Well, I cannot access this folder even I do have admin rights. I am in contact with ESET and we are trying to find out what file causes this problem.

23. mhallerman

mhallerman Registered Member

Fosius,

I believe the path to the directories you want to access is too long (a bug in windows shell).

Try to go down to the middle of those directories or the last one you can access, if you can, and move that folder and it's subfolders to your desktop, thereby splitting the one long path into 2 parts. You might then be able to delete both and finally clear out the entire dir structure.

Good luck,
    Mark.

24. fosius

fosius Registered Member

Funny thing is that I cannot access D:\Documents and Settings even I do have admin rights. My WinXP is installed on C partition and Vista RC2 installed in D. So I guess that this path D:\Documents and Settings belongs to Vista, but do not understand why i dont have access. Even under Vista access is denied.

25. mhallerman

mhallerman Registered Member

Sorry, I didn't know that...Anyone else know?

M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.