Please help a new member

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by edwardk, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edwardk

edwardk Registered Member

Hello all

I just found this forum a couple of days ago and started reading the various posts. Currently I am running WinXP with a Sofaware Safe@home hardware firewall, Steganos AntiSpyware and PC-Cillin Internet Security 2006.

Reading the various posts, I started to get the feeling that this may not be the best setup for protecting my PC since I use it for everything.

ANTIVIRUS
    I am seeing that Trend, McAffe and Symantec do not have the best detection rates. Do you guys recommend NOD32 or KAV?

PROTECTION
    Not being an expert like many of you, which programs do you recommend (or combination):
    - Ghost Security AddDefend/REgDefend?
    - DefenseWall
    - GesWall
    - Diamond CS
    - Safe'n'Sec

FIREWALL
    - Comodo
    - Outpost Pro
    - Look N' Stop
    - Jetico

SPYWARE
    - PRIVX1
    - Webroot SPYSWEEPER
    - Spyware Terminator

Is there anything else I should be considering? I am looking for affordable protection that has a low/medium learning curve. What can you guys recommend to do a complete DVD backup of my system that I can restore in the event of an "unforseen catastrophic event" (I did not like the latest version of Ghost or GoBack).

Thank you all for your help

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Read these pages :

Page2
    Page1

What I use is in my signature :)

4. edwardk

Thanks...

I was considering replacing my PC-Cillin IS2006 with NOD32 when my subscription expires because of all the bad press around detection rates with the top 3 players.

I looked at AppDefend/RegDefend but it was very cryptic to me.

Demo of DefenseWall did not impress me.

Demo of Privx was good but I am not sure how good their product is. Would I use this instead of the regular antispyware player or as a complement....

What about tools like Greenborder,etc?

5. HJam72

HJam72 Registered Member

Even within this forum, a lot of people have differing opinions about what's the best HIPS, AV, AS, AT, etc. From what I've read, yeah, NOD32 is popular here, but some don't even use AV with HIPS (wouldn't recommend that to someone who considers themselves a newb). It's all up to you. There's hosts files and extras like WormGuard and WinPatrol as well.

I'm no expert, but I will say that Norton Antivirus, one that you mentioned, is one of the better AV's (barring the fact that NOD32 is apparently much better in the heuristics department, which IS probably more important, I suppose), but NAV is, in many peope's opinions, including mine, a serious resource hog. It just slows things down too much. So, anyway, take that for what it's worth. :)

6. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Have you ever thought of using a suite? I used to use a number of components but fed up with having x number of things loading, x number of subscriptions to renew etc. It is very much a personal thing but I certainly think that there some advantages link you can be sure that all components work together, one sibbscription, one update of signatures, etc. Down side is you cannot mix, match & blend, etc.

Some recommended suites, if you are interested are:

Zone Alarm Security Suite (generally rated as the best)
    Kaspersky Internet Security 6 (the one I use and very light on resource but some find the interface odd....I do
    not, which I then suplement with Process Guard)
    F-Secure Internet Security 2006 (2007 version is in beta I think)
    NOD (apparently there is a Suite due out soon, which may even be in beta)
    Computer Associates (2007 version is in beta)
    + the usual from Norton, McAfee & Trend

Worth a look I think......certainly in the case of Zone Alarm & Kaspersky IMHO

;)

7. edwardk

I have Trend's PC-Cillin now but am not sure it is the most effective at catching the nasties....

How do you like KAV?

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Edward,

I am using KAV6 and like it better than anything I have tried. However, I would suggest that you trial some of the AVs to determine what runs best on your particular system. In my view, KAV6, and NOD32 are the best, but several others will give you excellent protection.

Opinions as to the "best" vary, and there is no universal agreement.

On my laptop I am using a 6 months trial of F-Secure. Here is a site that, assuming you are a Windows user, offers some excellent trial periods. You can find info regarding detection rates on AV Comparatives.
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/

"Shopping" for AVs and security applications is at least half the fun of arriving at the best ones for your own use.

Best,
    Jerry

9. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Give Processguard a spin. It locks everything down on your computer and won't let anything unwanted download without your permission. They have a home here at Wilders near the top...:)

10. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Edward

As I understand it Trend's AV is well regarded but I cannot comment on its effectiveness. The AV component of KIS (essentially KAV) is IMHO very good indeed. From my research (reading reviews, etc.) the top 2 AVs at the moment are NOD32 and KAV, with the general view that NOD32 is better on the heuristics front (although I hear that Kaspersky will be releasing a new heuristics engine shortly). But my ISP runs AV protection on its servers yet KIS has caught a couple of trojan downloaders that got through.....so I do think in practice it is very good.

BTW I would also agree with Mongol re. ProcessGuard. Does the business as he describes.

Hope that this helps?

Baldrick:D

11. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Reading your setup, and on the assumption that you are not a "risky-surfer", I don't see a need to toss everything to the wind, as you look to be pretty well protected.

You might trial a few pieces of security software to see if there's anything that "fits" better, but there's nothing really "wrong" with the setup you have now, as it will protect you well. :)

12. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

This thread may be of interest:
    My FREE security software recommendation for NEWBIES

Backup is very important, it will save your data many times in the future.
    Spend some time (and money) getting your tested proven backup routine ready. I use IFW/IFD (Image for Windows and Image for DOS) now as it has proven to be reliable and it can make bootable DVD backups in 1 step. It is not the most new user friendly program, but not very difficult. I've also heard good things about Drive Snapshot and Acronis True Image. Your mileage may vary and that's why you will need to actually prove if the software works on your system by doing a backup and restore.

Don't bother with the HIPS programs for now (PG,SSM,AD) or even the registry protecting programs. These programs are very good and can provide an extra layer of protection in some cases, but they are very confusing to new users and require more knowledge to use effectively.
    Keep your windows and anti-virus updated.
    Try an alternate browser or at least harden the IE settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.