Is it ever appropriate to Opt not to use DMON?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by HandsOff, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

As odd as it sounds I'm not sure who needs DMON

Is it only people who have MS Word, or Works, or Office, or related products?

My situation is that I use the super-high performance 100% compatable office products made by Softmaker. The result is that I can work with the MS generated documents, but I do not have all the vulnerabilities. I doubt very much that Softmaker lets scripts and macro's do what ever they want, and so I don't really know if it the documents themselves that are dangerous, or it is the combination of the documents running in an application that gives them access to controls that no responsible software maker would grant them.

My guess is it takes a Microsoft Office program to make such documents dangerous, so I could save my computer the trouble of running the DMON module, but what does ESET, and experience users do?

-HandsOff!

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm in the same boat. I don't load, use or enable DMON. No M$ document products here.

3. pykko

pykko Registered Member

well, running DMON is optional for you if you don't have MS Word installed. You may disable it or you may let it run...it's not using too much memory. :D

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    You won't notice any difference in performance...sort of a "doesn't matter" situation.

According to the Help section in your Control Center...it also describes DMON as having some protection from downloaded files in Internet Explorer. It does not describe which types of files..they're probably more MS Office related..but since you can "view" some office files within IE...why risk it?

5. HandsOff

Well, I can say that I never use Internet Explorer, or outlook either. I sort of guessed it might not be a huge saver of resources, but somehow it would feel good to say, 'I don't need it, because I freed myself from those security nightmare programs!

You know just a psychological victory!

-HandsOff

6. alglove

alglove Registered Member

ActiveX applets and controls. For example, the ActiveX installer for Macromedia Flash.

7. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Even though I never use M$ Office, it does scan 1 or 2 files each day.
    I'm not really sure what it is, but leaving it enabled or not does nothing to the memory usage or performance of NOD32 since it's all in the same engine. The only module I have unloaded is EMON because I don't use outlook :)

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It is best practice NOT to disable anything in NOD32 unless you are having an issue with something and have had instruction from Eset Support to do so.

Cheers :D

9. HandsOff

well do quotes from eset count?

What is EMON?

The Email Monitor, or EMON for short, is a memory-resident anti-virus module which checks messages received by Microsoft Outlook 95 (or newer) when Outlook is configured to use Microsoft's MAPI (Messaging Application Program Interface) protocol to connect with a Microsoft Exchange server in Corporate Mode. EMON also works with Microsoft Outlook 2000 (or newer) when using the MAPI, POP3 or IMAP protocols to connect to with Microsoft Exchange and other mail servers.

EMON provides an additional layer of protection and is needed only when Microsoft Outlook used for a mail client. It does not need to be enabled if a mail client other than Microsoft Outlook is used. Other mail clients, including Microsoft Outlook Express, are checked for threats by IMON.
    REV. 20060411AG

-----------

On the other hand, it appears that DMON is recommended to be left on in any case. I guess the threats it detects are more general.

-HandsOff

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  10. Blackspear

They do, however I still stand by what I said, too easy to forget you have something uninstalled when you change your mind and jump from Outlook Express to Outlook.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  11. HandsOff

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were bating me!

Just to clarify:
    -don't use outlook express
    -don't use internet explorer
    -don't use word, excel, office
    -don't use windows media player
    -don't even use windows explorer very much (man is it slow or what?)
    -Finally, Bill Gates picture is used on my dartboard!

-HandsOff

12. Blackspear

Not at all :blink: :D

-don't use outlook express. FREE alternative is Mozilla Thunderbird.

-don't use internet explorer. FREE alternative is Mozilla Firefox.

-don't use word, excel, office. FREE alternative is Open Office 2.

-don't use windows media player. Many FREE alternatives.

-don't even use windows explorer very much (man is it slow or what?)

-Finally, Bill Gates picture is used on my dartboard! Cool, can I come and play

:D :D :D

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I use only only Outlook Express , only Internet Explorer , only MS Works 8 , Only MS Office 2003 free viewers ,Only Windows Media Player 10 , Only Windows Explorer , all Microsoft + ESET NOD32 :D
    Generally I love Microsoft and what they do ;)

14. Blackspear

I Loooove the FREE and better alternatives :D

15. HandsOff

"-don't even use windows explorer very much (man is it slow or what?)"

Blackspear: You were on a roll, there are free alternatives here too, although I have found it better to use a couple different applications that each do their function very well, than one solution that is strong in one area and weak in another. I give you:

XPlorer2: duel pane browser that makes searching and manipulating things much easier....down to the little things like when you rename something.exe, you can just start typing, you won't overwrite the .exe. This app believes in putting everything withing your reach on one screen. The searches are generally much faster.

XnView: for browsing pictures. this is very fast, nice interface, handles caching thumnails very well, creates them much faster than explorer. It also can view over 400 formats, has fullscreen mode....

Anyway, XPlorer2 (free version) and XnView both give you speed and extended capabilities. XnView is the one I really get enjoyment out of. XPlorer2 is powerful, but it is mostly for doing things that are more like work.

-HandsOff

16. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I use Directory Opus as an alternative to Windows Explorer. Very fast, great features.

http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

It's a little expensive, but one of the best programs I have ever used.

17. HandsOff

I've heard about it and read some comparisons.

The thing that frightened me off was an often repeated theme that there is a huge learning curve.

Xeplorer2, by contrast has a "why re-invent the wheel?" philosophy. Anyway, I fear we are straying from the ESET path...(sorry Blackspear!).

-HandsOff

18. Blackspear

Indeed, you are more than welcome to start a new thread further down the forum and continue this discussion in Software & Services

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.