NOD32 2.7 causing hard drive thrashing on one computer

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by LuckMan212, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

I have a multi-user license for NOD32 and its running on about 25 machines in our office. One user just got a brand new Sony Vaio laptop with 2gb RAM, Core2 Duo T7400 cpu, 80gb HD, etc. Nice laptop very fast & capable. I set it up for him and everything was running silky smooth.

Now, after some days he complains that his laptop is slow. I checked it and he was right, the laptop had slowed to a crawl and just navigating with Explorer was very tedious and I see the HDD light thrashing heavily with every step I take. I tried the standard troubleshooting (spyware scans, check for startup items, check task manager & process explorer for unknown .exe's, checked Event Logs, examine device manager, check DMA settings, run ChkDsk, CCleaner, etc. But nothing worked.

Finally as a last resort I removed NOD32 just as a test.... magically his system was lightning fast again :oops: So I tried re-installing NOD32 using the latest version 2.70.23 and the problem came back immediately. I dont know what to do- I dont want to leave his system unprotected but I cant make him suffer, how do I troubleshoot this? thanks :)

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What type of setup was chosen during installation....Typical, Advanced, Expert ?

If you haven't tried already....totally remove Nod32 and attempt a Typical installation without any additional setting changes or additional scheduled tasks....does it still exhibit the thrashing ?

When you say "came back immediately"....do you mean you re-installed\re-booted and immediately it was sluggish :doubt:

Bubba

3. LuckMan212

I use the expert install because I usually disable ThreatSense and IMON. All other settings are left at their defaults. During the 2nd reinstall I used Typical however, and it was the same problem.

When I say immediately I mean, after I reinstalled and rebooted, the system was thrashing the disk again right away, yes.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hmmm....what operating system ?
    Have you gone as far as temporarily disabling all un-necessary services and basically have Nod and Windows be the sole occupants during idle ?
    Does it do the thrashing in Safe mode ?
    Again thinking out loud....possible driver conflict in regards to this new Sony Vaio :doubt:

5. LuckMan212

Yes its XP Pro SP2. Fully patched. Problem with that theory is that we have 4 other users all with this same identical laptop and no conflicts there. So it is something on this particular system that is eluding me but I haven't been able to track it down. :(

Any advice on figuring out what the conflict might be... There really are no more unnecessary services or programs to disable-- its a very lean system.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That helps :eek: ;)

Uh....simple New Years suggestion....fire this employee :cool:

brain hurts....must have more gogo juice....happy new year

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

LuckMan212 , try to repair Winsock , and after you install it , configure AMON not to scan all kind of files but standart extensions instead

To repair Winsock
    Windows XP SP2 only

Goto Start –> Run
    type cmd and click OK.
    Type netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !

Note that there is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset

Then open Control Center -> AMON -> Setup -> click Extensions button and uncheck Scan all files . Reboot to see how it's going on . Also use default settings for AMON such as Optimize scanning enabled ...

8. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I'd also suggest that if your Sony Vaio came with a different AV pre-installed you may wish to locate a cleanup utility for whatever particular AV to make sure that it's really uninstalled.

Cheers :)

9. LuckMan212

thanks guys I will try those things and report back.. happy new year! :D

10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Did the SONY VAIO notebook computer come with another anti-virus program pre-loaded on it? If so, what was the program?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. hagridor

hagridor Registered Member

Hi,

I haved the same problem with my Vaio AR11S.

This is strange but since i have installed today the very last French version, i have solved the problem !

:D

12. chalki

chalki Registered Member

Hi all, I have a similar problem. Forums have said NOD32 was fast and light on resources. I have experienced the opposite. Since installing the trial version on my Toshiba P100, XP pro with SP2, it takes 7 minutes for my computer to become operational, often hangs with the HD light flashing madly. I have trialed a few AV prorams and I have the option of a free Norton AV from work, but I like NOD32 when everything is working ok. I have only 7 days left on the trial and I need to fix the problem before I buy it. I am not a computer expert and am reluctant to play with register settings etc. Thanks in anticipation of your suggestions. Sorry for my long windedness I Trialled McAffee (preinstalled) and Trend Micro. *puppy*

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  13. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I would almost be willing to bet that NOD is fighting with a remnant of one of those programs. McAfee is particulary difficult to remove completely. I'd make sure that all remnants of those AV's are cleaned out, and see what happens.

14. chalki

chalki Registered Member

Thanks JimIT, I found this link to cleanout any m'afee remnants http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe but this made no noticeable improvement. Then I ran a find folder search for Trend Micro and found what looks like the complete trial version folder, 374 mb hidden in my programs folder. It does not appear in the windows install/uninstall or in the regular Programs list. What do I do with it?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  15. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

You can probably leave it alone.

I would, however, go to Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Services.

Check the services listed, and see if there are still bits of McAfee left. Do the same thing for Trend.

If you can identify any of them as parts of previous AV's, and they show as "Started", then you may have found the cause of the issue.

Don't muck around in there too much, but get an idea of what's running. If you positively identify an AV straggler, you can "Stop" the service and see if the resonsiveness of the PC improves.

If you don't find any "naughty bits" listed and running, then we're back to square one.

Let us know how you do.

16. chalki

chalki Registered Member

Thanks again JimIT. My Toshiba has a folderlock type program called My Safe preinstalled. I think it conflicts with NOD32. Other forums have suggested that AV programs can cause problems for it. I need this program as it is involved with the fingerprint reader so I will delete NOD32 and see if my computer speeds up.

17. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Try excluding it with both long and short file names in AMON.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.