Does any one knows filter limitations

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by shaunwang, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaunwang

shaunwang Registered Member

Does anyone know the amount of rules can be built in LNS before it can no longer take in o_O

2. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello Shaunwang,

I asked Frederic that question last year,I don't think things have changed since then,please see the link below:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=428983#post42898

Good Luck :)

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I believe his question was directed primarily towards rules limit on the Internet Filtering screen, and if I’m right the answer would be 100 currently.

4. shaunwang

shaunwang Registered Member

that's right thanks I think should be roughly about 100 to 128 from the topic that Kush added in his post.

But if it really reaches 100 ++ it will start to delete away some rules o_O

5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Rules in a Ruleset, limit 100, when reached nothing gets cleared AT ANY TIME by automatic means.

Application filtering entries limit is 128 giving the version and newer mentioned on that topic. Application filtering entries don’t get cleared unless limit is reached and the entries are shown as invalid.

6. zoril

zoril Registered Member

I feel that a better limit would be at least 200 re the application filter. I have already over 100 applications and I daresay many others have also......Howard

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Are you sure that the 100 exe files are still present ?

Since we introduced the limitation to 128 and the automatic purge of non existing exe, we didn't have a lot of complaints regarding the number of applications.

Frederic

8. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hello Frederic:)

I have removed some .exe app's recently. Currently the number of .exe apps has been reduced to 95. I am considering a number of new apps so the number will definitely rise over 100 again in the next week.

While I do prefer LNS to other firewalls that I have tried for many reasons, this issue is a big concern for me and the main reason that I have not registered it yet...

I don't want a situation where I am limited in app's. Without question I am approaching that point. I will do so over the next few months or less. I agree that I quite probably do have a well above average number of applications compared to what most people have, but a number of people that I know have more then me.

I am looking longterm re using the firewall. I know that 128 .exe applications won't be enough for me. Checking other firewalls it would seem that the limit is mostly higher. I do wish that the number would be increased for LNS.

Best wishes,

Howard:)

9. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, zoril

As it is very unlikely all your app [128+] need Internet access a the same time, you could give the more obscure ones [less used] Session Access.

Personally I only have 12 Application [Browser Email Agent, and Program Updaters] in the APP Filtering List, all other only need a once or session allow because I am not needing them to have asscess all the time.

Take Control :eek: , do not let the apps have the control. :rolleyes:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

10. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Mmmm that may be a point. A lot of my applications are only online at any one time for updating purposes, or downloading new definitions etc.

Is there anywhere where I can change the default settings? I assume that session access is an advanced option (of which I am not familiar)? i just looked now but couldn't see it.

I haven't been using the firewall long...

Howard:thumb:

11. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, zoril

or *doll :eek: :D

When an application first tries to gain Internet access LnS fires up a warning box, [which you have had very many time :cautious: ] within that box there are two little unchecked box's with Just this Time and the other Just this Session and you also so have Authroize which giving access at anytime and Block which is no access at anytime.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

PS: * just joking :cautious: , as you know what I am talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.