openSUSE 11.4 released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Sometime back I tried openSUSE. After installation while using it I tried to burn a CD. k3b gave a warning that no sufficient permissions though. I had to log out and log in as root to burn the CD. But the desktop wallpaper was full of bomb like warningso_O I think it was meant to convey that it was dangerous to run as root. Never tried openSUSE since then:p Can we write CDs and DVDs now in this version with the logged in user?

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Turns out that I have the same problem, reproducible, with Debian Wheezy (weekly iso).
    It looks like some udev issue, not able to write to /var/run during boot and modules aren't loaded.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

well i didnt face any problem with k3b but i tried it only once i like brasero disk burner more even in kde environments ;)

4. mack_guy911

cont..... of

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1909603#post1909603

and today i loving it :D

may be using fedora base using more than 10 years time main the only reason is gnome so when ever i stuck in kde and opensuse i miss fedora :D

as for kde newbie my self experience i say its best kde distro i ever used in my life its a got almost all umplayer to virtual box. in its community repo ......and yast got almost every single gui tool you would need from security like apparmor to security center and hardening to firewall that what i call real firewall it got so much filtration in gui mode a tool for sudo gui tool for setting bootloader gui

honestly speaking this is the only distro so far i found which got more gui tools then Microsoft windows :D and Gui confuse me now :D

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

How many GUI tools are there?

6. mack_guy911

i have seen and count about 80+ in yast only :D

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

What's better about OpenSUSE 11.4 (KDE) than Mint 11.4?

I'm new to linux, but installed both OS mentioned above on the second hard drive of my primary laptop to try them out - so far Mint has been easier for me and looks better. OpenSUSE froze the first time I used it post-install, and what's up with the transparent menus - can anyone read those?

Other than that I'm moderately impressed by linux relative to windows, but there's too much security for my taste; everything requires typing in my password and OpenSUSE wouldn't let me edit menu.lst file to (re-)set Win7 as my default boot system (I had to boot to Parted Magic to edit it). Of course Win7 would be annoying too with UAC, etc. but since I'm familiar with it I can easily turn off all the annoying features and enjoy a smooth ride.

Attached Files:

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You could login as root (administrator) or make yourself have those privileges, but that decreases Linux security by a lot (like any other OS).

9. mack_guy911

change it from security center and hardening in yast

you can make it to home workstation in predefined security configuration and it make miscellaneous setting to easy rather than paranoid mode it ask for less or tweak more is you know :D

yes its like windows :D

10. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

mack_guy911,

Your posts would be much more readable IF you care to use punctuation. Failing that, you can hit ENTER to start each new sentence.

Please take this as a constructive suggestion. I know old habit dies hard.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.