openSUSE 11.4 released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Gonna update my virtual machine.

3. mack_guy911

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

mack_guy, this is awesome! After playing with the gnome version in the vm last night, I installed the i686 kde version on the h/drive, dual-boot with Windows. Only the video rendering was shaky, so all I had to do was add the nVidia openSUSE repository, then update to latest drivers, and now all is most excellent. This seems to be a smooth-as-silk distro :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
  5. mack_guy911

pretty smooth distro i had one crash on installing theme

but one thing which i dislike is when i install flash player you have to download 100+ mb dependencies even you disable all updates and for chromium again 100+ :mad: ram was nearly 2gb when working on live cd i install flash vlc and chromium to test very fast and awesome on 64bit

repo's is pretty fast and stable and 64 bit was extreme fast

if you have a decent 4gb + ram :D

6. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

For those with love for SUSE, ever tried using 'SUSE Studio' to build a custom Suse distro yourselves? link.

Opinions?

7. s23

s23 Registered Member

If before update you go to software manager, I think you can cancel some of this downloaded stuff... at least worked for me when I'm going to use the 11.3 live cd and wanna install just the flash plugin. Is some apps that cannot be included by default like the flash player, java and mp3 support for banshee. I remember unrar in the list too.. but the most big stuff is help files and some other stuff that is not really necessary and can easily be canceled if you want. So far I'm liking a lot 11.4 version.

Just encountered one problem, but not particular to opensuse, happened when i installed Pardus too; I need use the "Nomodeset" option to be able to boot. Maybe something with the 2.6.37 kernel / nouveau driver and my nvidia nforce 630a onboard video, because after install the nvidia drivers, all works without a problem.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

A Review coming soon (about a month from now, consider all the articles in the pipe), but I really, really like opensuse 11.4. And I'm talking KDE! Fast, responsive, smooth, polished, all the gadgets working.

I could not believe I would use KDE4 permanently, but here it is, installed on my nine-boot machine :)

Cheers,
    Mrk

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'd come away disappointed with the previous couple releases (11.2 & 11.3) of openSUSE, but the developers have hit a home run with this release. For me it's a keeper and gives mint a serious run for its money :)

10. mack_guy911

its good to see linux is back on track so many great distro coming up :D

many things i like about new open suse

1st best thing is that they make a a survey poll in their site where people write about all the difficulty they face about open suse which is best i wrote very long in that poll and thanks that all enquiries resolved in this release

1st they make a decent new way to change fonts also they make fonts like redhat type distos which is great move

2nd they change their repo which is pretty confusing at 1st they make community repos simple to use for basic users no repos on same name where you see too many pacman only repo which is pretty confusing

3rd they add Alt-Ctrl-Del just like windows to reboot system which is another great move for average user

4th 11.2 and 11.3 is pretty slow in response where 11.4 is extremely fast as compare to them

5th repositories very fast and no crashes

6th new yast they make many small improvements in yast you going to notice

7th KDE 4.6 another great move i guss kde 4.6 is awesome many of you agree with me

8th firefox 4 pretty stable and very fast although its in beta

9th libre office i guss its 1st distro which come with Libreoffice 3.3.1 default yet another great move

10th you see open suse own branding of gimp libre office....etc...... which shows its damn great professional distro attitude

11th KPackageKit just like fedora package kit right click and install rpm just like windows click install candy it install all dependencies by it self :D

12th they also create many good support and fast response for virtual box ......etc

13th documents i guss that not release for 11.4 yet please confirm........ but 11.3 is great enough to check on

14th .....checking later

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

think im gonna see how much the kde version has improved since last time i tryed opensuse which was 11.0
    the kde version works well on my laptop as a live cd.

i installed opensuse 11.4 using the netiso and atthe desktop environment section i choose other > minimal text server. yet when i boot the kernel is called desktop.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  12. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

It's no coincidence that since version 4.5 kde distros are pretty damn good. Kudos to the kde guys.

13. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

after installation of Opensuse 11.4 KDE (CD)
    I can't watch youtube or play movies.

How do you install flash player and codecs?
    I'm new to KDE :'(

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_formats/11.4

if you dont wish to install stuff like java and smplayer use the customize option.

15. mack_guy911

its pretty easy click on you computer then open YAST

inside YAST open software repository and add repository

Attached Files:

16. mack_guy911

select community repository and click next and select the repositories you want to download :D

Attached Files:

17. mack_guy911

after that when you install the repository you require and import licenses

then open software management form YAST and search

flash ..............you get flash player :D

same way you can install VLC ............etc...... many other softwares :D

repositories right now i added on live cd are

Attached Files:

18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I had Flash updates already under the "Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0" ready to be installed right after the installation of openSUSE.

19. mack_guy911

agree wat after enable repos you get flash as default install

i use this way to make how to search software as well :p

20. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yeah, I just don't remember having to enable any repos to see the Flash updates. The one I had to add was for my nVidia drivers.

21. mack_guy911

maybe you are right i enable all repos i mention above 1st so dont which enable it i am live cd and testing few things out soon i install it on my pc once i upgrade my hardisk

22. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

omg mack_guy911 you did all that for me?!
    thanks alot :D

now I may be able to pr0n away :D

Nvidia drivers :eek: wowow thanks much

23. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Here are the repositories I have enabled....

Not sure if any others should be enabled, although this seems to safely give me enough for a fully working desktop.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
  24. mack_guy911

i am also new to kde and suse not much grip but want you install looks pretty safe to me :))

you are welcome konata :)) hope it help you there too much to explore in open suse please check i am also wondering in this great distro

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  25. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thanks. I just want to avoid any of that testing or debug stuff :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.