Key Logger Problems

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by drakeffxi, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drakeffxi

drakeffxi Registered Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum and am a current user of ESET NOD32 anti-virus software. I may be posting in the wrong area but I figured I would start here. Many of my friends and I use this NOD32 and love it since it causes minimal interference in our online gaming, and the fact that it’s just at awesome program.

Currently our online gaming community has become the target of what we call "Real Money Traders", RMT for short. In the past they mainly exploited in game flaws in order to obtain game money to sell for real life cash; but, the game operators have all but shut them down in game. So without being able to exploit the game they have turned to exploiting the player’s accounts and hijacking said account and are robbing people blind.

It seems that the RMT are actually buying add space on forum sites that are used to share information about the game and are also hacking database sites to put key loggers into flash images, I-frames, adds, ect.

Most of the people that I game with all run NOD32 and use Firefox with script block and flash block add-ons to try and prevent these people from infecting our PC's but they seem to be getting worse and worse. We all use 15 digit alpha-numeric P/W's upper and lower case. We do everything we can to avoid unsafe sights but the RMT are becoming very aggressive in their attempts to hijack people information.

Yesterday one of our members was kicked off by another person attempting to log into his account, so he kicked them off changed the P/W, and not 5 minutes later was kicked off again. We had another one of our member log into his account and change the password and thankfully the hijack attempt was stopped.

This is surely a key logger program that is being used to steal ID & P/W, this program is also able to decrypt the passwords stored on the pc and send real time changes to the responsible parties. NOD32 is not detecting any infections or unwanted activity on the persons PC in question.

Sorry for the long post but I thought I should give as much information on the problem as possible. I Guess what I'm trying to ask is if anyone would have any helpful information on how to remove / detect / prevent these key loggers from hijacking our ID's & P/W's. I know it’s just a video game but it’s a game that many of us have played for 3~5 years and have put much time and effort into. To lose our accounts to some thieving internet bastard after all this time is unbearable.

Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can provide with this issue. Oh, and if you’re wondering we play the MMORPG "Final Fantasy XI".

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  2. zimbo

zimbo Registered Member

Hi There,

Gamer settings on NOD32 are available which might improve security but not degrade performance

3. drakeffxi

I reviewed my settings and I didn't really find anything pertaining to gaming settings. Is there something outside of the normal settings I should be looking for? I also view it in advanced mode and have everything set to the strictest settings.

I even helped the friend of mine who got hacked set his up via Team Viewer, awesome tech support for helping friends, and I set his up to be very strict. He was using AVG free edition before I showed him NOD32, could it possibly be that the key logger was present pre-NOD32 and isn't being detected?

4. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

YOU SHOULD HAVE A BEHAVIOR BASED ANTIVIRUS SUCH AS THREATFIRE OR NORTON ANTIBOT. IT WILL WORK WELL WITH NOD32. I TRIED BEFORE TF + NOD32. AT HOME IM USING AVG + NORTON ANTIBOT.

5. drakeffxi

Thanks I'll look into that, not a huge fan of Norton but I'll check them both out, if it keeps our accounts secure we will all be happy :)

6. Stubborn

Stubborn Registered Member

Hi,

For my security paranoia, I have just bought Zemana Antilloger.

It makes me feel safer. I use it with NOD32, no conflicts at all.

Why don't you try?

www.zemana.com

7. zimbo

zimbo Registered Member

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

If you have links to download the malware in question (or actual copies), please submit them to samples@eset.sk with a link to this message thread. For malware submissions, please place them in an .ZIP or .RAR archive file protected with a password of "infected".

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.