ProSecurity is now Real-time Defender !

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by johncage, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Yaa, I've also thought the same thing, but I hoped that someone had some other explanation... :(

2. blacknight

RESOLVED :) I reinstalled RTD and now it runs as it must run. If you ask to me " why " or " how " , I reply: I don't know.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Can we in this RTD setting, make as many file extensions as we prefer well beyong whats already there?

I mean it won't upset a balance or throw off the new rule right? In other words, in file associations (System Folder), is there a limit or unlimited?

Thanks

4. Remouald

Remouald Registered Member

EASTER, I don't know if there's a limit but personnaly I have 51 rules for System Folder. And I have a total of 283 rules for all the File section (which inludes 204 rules taken from the "Block Known Malwares" ruleset made by ALCYON for EQSecure)

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

EASTER

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can u post a snapshot of these rules? What does it mean: Block known malware in a HIPS rules?

Thanks

7. blacknight

Kis 7 and RTD cohabitation update: if I enable the KIS proactive defense, RTD doesn't stop the files .exe that I run to install a new sw; it seems don't see them. I don't konw if it is a simply system conflict or if the KIS disable some RTD's features. The second hypothesis it's not pleasant... :rolleyes:

8. blacknight

May be I should try to unistall KIS and RDT and to reinstall at first RTD and then KIS...

9. Morthawt

Morthawt Registered Member

Code:
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA512

I dont know what to think, because the website is down, yet he did have one
    up previously. Is there any official way to get any progress updates from
    the dude himself/herself ?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Charset: utf-8

wsFVAwUBSLQhpigagogqkM7bAQpQSBAAwYGglNqCuO3D0X2wU62FN76Y0lrP2IrP
    QDR5JzUuov2htn5poo0rHYwfsimFKrnuSaNPd3a+MpJb5J7ExEu3i8HxB8hSFJXJ
    jhE75X36kLVcIMJ9QaXfy+sm4mt9h8JncD9j8ByXFNQCvZN5pjAEwXUtzj3f//IB
    d/YSJE7iQgS9HebqqRTPCU7yCQnZJ8t8i4XbUiKHdzvJkMc1ZuPmJruFwC7ZBs36
    McBNYcHMEN2f91wOSSraMSVg2HjUfav8yOFV21P4IMsaYNG3/mYigIbHfDr7uWQH
    4IyOdOEeYZ+O2V4EhmSUKKtIEP96X2pXMv+a2tsg6MAo/8NCMJ5lyhKM74dydQT2
    6YPrej1jqKobULMF0hHamHil5+QtkROSH51KXft2ihS9riIZ6F1t8ANYF8yEOZCO
    Gak6pyM5h1CNKp2b3i4T9Y7+coB/3rZ8W6o+qVIBrk0+FXR4wjL4VyA2NRbyyoUx
    EcSOwd7yZCg8BKz4jQ5FvaCZnt5kD4CS9D4+fBbz3pF8FaWiUqqvI4zRrKsRDC7/
    UdHiDZotW1W3Zb56kjr0Voq83mURnN5QUVdD09HxsmZs3OfRm8juUHgSTAvdErIP
    8TAozeGpHpgrQZoSE76pZE57xfkdodpvghCgHUY0vSAbzr9tThl3FEsw4YBTaBOM
    /ZINvwdl3uM=
    =yK0b
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

10. Remouald

Hi aigle. I've set all the entries below to BLOCK (create/write file). ALCYON created this ruleset in EQS, it is part of the "Blacklist" section of the EQS File Protection tab.

Attached Files:

11. blacknight

Well, I've uninstalled KIS and RTD, I ( rebooted ) cleaned my system. Then I 've installed RTD, rebooted, setted it in Normal Mode. Finally I've installed KIS 7. If I run it without the Proactive Defense, RTD runs normally. If I set the KIS in Proactive Defense ( previous giving all the authorizations for RTD in KIS ), RTD runs as I described in this 3D at the post 66. And also if afterwards I disable the Proactive Defense, RTD does'nt run more normally. This is what concern me !

What means this ? I believe that KIS doesn't take only some hooks, but also overwrites some RTD process or function when I enable the Proactive Defense. So I ask: where is self-protection of RTD ? Why RTD allows that KIS could disable partially it ?

I believe it's an important question for RTD users.

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The RTD website has been *under construction* or altogether broken since last June. I can get a pdg website up & running in a matter of less than a week. So what is taking so long, I wonder?

Secondly, it took RTD's "new proprietor" over 2 months to release a re-branded Prosecurity as RTD 1.0, with nothing more to it than largely cosmetic changes.

Bottom Line- It seems evident that RTD is yet another 1-man show with little or no interest in maintaining communications with English-language customers. I like PS/RTD, but I grow weary of the inscrutible, uncommunicative RTD proponent.

I am waiting for life signs from RTD, hoping for the best, but growing increasingly pessimistic. Ditto for Prevx2. Ditto for SSM.

Contrast those moribund outfits with the vibrantly active Online Armor, Drive Sentry, & Comodo FWP, & I wonder why I even bother with stuff like EQS & RTD. :blink:

13. blacknight

Yaa, the new SSM version - with the file protection features - should be realesed for the end of this month, but probably it will be late. But I know that his development is proceeding.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks a lot.

But IMO these rules are not needed at all. It,s just my opinion.

15. Remouald

Hi aigle,
    I agree with you because anyway I have rule for .exe in C:/WINDOWS set to ASK USER. But it cannot hurt to have it since the other person who use my computer doesn't understand HIPS at all so I'm sure those malwares will be automatically blocked. :)

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm.... why u think that the other person will bring malware and also exactly same malware? :D

All in all it,s still un-necessary IMO. If like this, then why not an AV scanner to be in place that will cover much morte than this.

17. Remouald

Hi aigle, so you think that these kind of blacklist items would be intercepted by AV anyway?

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

So is this HIPS able to alert to formation of (new) folders/files just coming into contact with the directory you make a rule for?

I tried %SystemDrive%\ * and nothing happened at all, the file (.exe) easily enetered that folder, on EQS, it would have been alerted to immediately.

I also tried %SystemRoot%\ *.exe and i was still able to drop a exe in the C:\ folder without so much as whimper.

No complaints here, but you think i got the syntax wrong? Or maybe after adding a rule the PC needs a reboot first like EQS requires or the RTD app needs restarted before it takes effect?

Still this is an interesting HIPS, it definitely zeroes in on executions without a moment hesitation.

EASTER

19. Remouald

Hi EASTER,

I'm not sure if I understand you well. First, you use the terms %systemdrive% and %systemroot%, don't forget to use "C:\" and "C:\WINDOWS" instead.

If for example, you want to be alerted (ask user) anytime a .exe is created in "C:\WINDOWS" or in any of its sub-directories, your select the rules as specificied in my screenshot and on the lower panel you will have access to the settings of the rule (2nd screenshot). On the left it's the Folder settings and on the right it's the File settings. You must tick the "Match all Sub-Folder's Files" for the rule to be applied to any subfolders (and sub-subfolders) into the WINDOWS directories.

No need to reboot or restart RTD the changes are immediate.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      11 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      3.4 KB
      Views:
  20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

OK, looks like a SYNTAX error. I'll fire up the rules settings and give another try.

Thanks.

BTW, %SystemDrive% = C:\, that's what i was using. LoL

EASTER

21. Remouald

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmmmm........Easter, this is a common feature of all classical HIPS which have file protection. It,s there even in EQS.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am usre any good AV will catch all of them( 250) and many many more. A blacklist of an AV is much wider than this.

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yeah but you have to understand, some of us have a one-track mind. After SSM changed the dickens of it's GUI to add features (which were good) it also changed it's layout/settings in the registry area and i'm not about to learn a security app all over again just like Microsoft when you finally high-tune one O/S to expectations they immediately release changes like Vista or SP3 and the whole boat starts off on another course again.

However, with RTD, it's much more user-friendly IMHO, but that still doesn't prevent you from learning it's SYNTAX and other settings afresh, since not all HIPS are created equal.

EASTER

25. Remouald

Thanks for your reply aigle! I will remove this blacklist since I have an AV :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.