Home Network Problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by stueycaster, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

My network stopped working when I tried to set some new file sharing permissions. My Trusted Zone configuration looked ok so I tried to find a problem with my network settings. Couldn't find anything there. I decided to try uninstalling ESS and setting it up again. After I rebooted and removed the ESET folders in Documents and Settings my network started working. I reinstalled ESS and now things are good again. Also I was able to set up those permissions after. I don't know why it messed up.

One thought: My system got left on during a thunder storm while I was out. Don't laugh, I've seen my system start acting up after a storm before. It is plugged into a surge protector though a cheap one. Maybe it's time for a good one. Anyway, I always shut it down if I'm home when they occur.

I just thought the good folks at ESET should know. Sorry I can't send them exact details as to why this happened. Keep up the good work guys. :) :thumb:

2. stueycaster

I'm obviously doing something wrong. Could someone please tell me how to set up ESS so it stops blocking my home network? I set it up and it works for about a day. Then the next day I can access the shared files in the other computer but when I click on "View workgroup computers" I get an error message saying that my network can't be accessed and I need to check with the administrator about getting it to work. I can't tell you the exact phrase because I have version 2.7 set up now. If I try to do it twice in a row it loses the whole network.

When I set up the Trusted Zone I gave it the network name, The Description of this computer and the IP addresses for both computers in the network. I would think I don't need to put in the router address because the internet connection works just fine.

The thing that puzzles me is that it works fine for a while then it just starts messing up and I can't pinpoint exactly what I do that causes it to fail.

3. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

your not doing anything wrong, the firewall in ess is extremely unstable & buggy. i would remove it & wait for next beta.

p.s nice of eset to respond to you here:thumbd:

4. mayt

mayt Eset Staff Account

Hello stueycaster,

can you please adjust the firewall settings (Advanced FW setup>IDS and adv. options) and allow "Log all blocked connections"?

Then try to access the shared files/folders and look into Tools>EPFW log to see if there is some record showing the connection is blocked? If positive, paste one or two lines from the log as a reply to this post.

Thanks.

5. stueycaster

Ok I'll do what you asked but it might take a day or two. I have to reinstall ESS and then it usually works right for a while. Bear with me please.

6. stueycaster

I guess I was wrong about it working right for a while. I reinstalled and it started blocking it right away. Sorry about the confusion. I hope this is what you wanted. Thanks for working with me on this.

9/14/2007 9:43:54 PM Communication denied by rule 192.168.0.1:1900 239.255.255.250:1900 UDP Block incoming SSDP (UPNP) requests
    9/14/2007 9:43:54 PM Communication denied by rule 192.168.0.1:1900 239.255.255.250:1900 UDP Block incoming SSDP (UPNP) requests
    9/14/2007 9:43:44 PM Communication denied by rule 192.168.0.101:138 192.168.0.255:138 UDP Block incoming NETBIOS requests
    9/14/2007 9:43:38 PM No used rule found 192.168.0.101:1042 255.255.255.255:19771 UDP
    9/14/2007 9:49:27 PM Communication denied by rule 192.168.0.1:1900 239.255.255.250:1900 UDP Block incoming SSDP (UPNP) requests

7. rapierau

rapierau Registered Member

Can somebody in the know please help this bloke as I have the same problem.

8. stueycaster

Mayth (ESET Moderator) informed me by personal message that this is something that they're working on. He didn't know if the fix would come in an update or in a new installer. I'm using 2.7 until it's fixed. All we can do is wait.

9. Stormboy

Stormboy Registered Member

I found this on UPNP not sure if it will help.
    I disable Upnp in my router don't like pots being opened by apps, I think that what it does :)

Attached Files:

10. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

whats the point of this forum then?

please eset post up a sticky post with a list of known problems, and whats being fixed, so that multiple users arnt posting about the same bugs, then getting zero help from you, kinda frustratingo_O

11. stueycaster

If you're upset because he told me this in a personal message then it was because he answered a question that I asked in one.

12. stueycaster

Thanks Guys. My network problem seems to have been fixed with the RC1. I knew you guys would come through for me. :thumb: :D

13. Degine

Degine Registered Member

Well then you're lucky... I still can't share files. Printer does seem to work.

14. stueycaster

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  15. Degine

Degine Registered Member

Hey, I got it working again, for now.

What I did was reboot and set the IDS and advanced options back to default (the only difference was that I allowed UPNP in the trusted zone while the the default settings don't.)

After that it still didn't work. (but maybe it did have some effect, I don't know)

Then I checked my network connections, I clicked on my Wireless PCI adapter and clicked properties. There was a list with Client for Microsoft-Networks?*, File and printer sharing for Microsoft-Networks?* and Eset Personal Firewall somewhere.

I unchecked EPF and rechecked it again, it asked if I would install some software drivers while they didn't pass Microsoft's test. I agreed and it installed in a flash. It reconnected and after that I was able to use file-sharing again.

I just hope it stays that way.

*My XP version is Dutch so I don't know what it says excactly, but you probably know what I mean.

16. stueycaster

Thanks Degine. My problem isn't with sharing. The shared files that show up in "My Network Places" do share. Also printer sharing works. My problem happens when I click on "View workgroup computers" trying to call up the shares that don't show up in Network Places. That's when I get the error message and it doesn't work.

I really appreciate your trying to help me. :thumb:

17. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

only way i got it working was to uninstal ESS.. did report this in beta 2, then was rather shocked to see a release candidate of ess this early.. also with none of the firewall problems being fixed

18. stueycaster

Thanks Kc. I've thought about that but my only problems are the "View workgroup computers" link and there is a problem with the URL links in Help. They don't work. Other than that I have no problem. The report I sent to ESET finally showed in the events log so now I'm relatively sure they got word of it. I guess I'll just wait a while and give them a chance to work on it. I'm sure their work load is God awful with working on fixing these bugs. I appreciate the help. :thumb: :)

19. stueycaster

Here are some more blocked communications. This is just a few of many. I sure wish somebody could tell me what's going on here. The fact that they come from "system/ NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" makes me think that they might be necessary.

9/24/2007 9:20:05 AM Communication denied by rule 192.168.0.100:137 207.242.93.99:137 UDP Block outgoing NETBIOS requests system NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    9/24/2007 9:20:04 AM Communication denied by rule 192.168.0.100:137 199.106.212.28:137 UDP Block outgoing NETBIOS requests system NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    9/24/2007 9:19:59 AM Communication denied by rule 192.168.0.100:137 12.120.1.254:137 UDP Block outgoing NETBIOS requests system NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    9/24/2007 9:19:55 AM Communication denied by rule 192.168.0.100:137 63.240.249.39:137 UDP Block outgoing NETBIOS requests system NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

20. aieie

aieie Registered Member

Just a thought but it could be that something, ESS or other, is blocking some of the communications between the master browser on your network and your PC.

That'd produce exactly the browsing problem you describe.

Best Regards

21. stueycaster

Well it now seems that my network has stopped working altogether. This happened before with Beta2. The printer still shares though. I'm going back to version 2.7 til this is fixed. Funny how it starts out ok then gets progressively worse.

22. stueycaster

I reinstalled Version 2.7 and my network is back to normal. I know ESET will get this right at some point. It seems like I always get the difficult problems. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait. I started using Nod32 because at the time it was the only good Antivirus that supported x64. I love how it allows my system to run without bogging it down in any way. I just bought my third consecutive subscription. Keep up the good work ESET.

This might be a problem that my system has. I recently had to reinstall my o/s and things didn't go exactly right with that. Everything else seems to be working right though. This is the only problem I'm having with it. If I hadn't seen a couple posts by others having the same problem I would have already been looking into some system changes.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  23. stueycaster

I thought of something to try on ESS so I reinstalled it last night. I left it on Automatic mode. Everything seemed to be ok. Then this morning I found that the "View workgroup computers" link was acting up and giving me the error message again just like before. So I tried doing a Repair Installation. This got rid of the error message but the workgroup didn't show up. I couldn't find a way to set up the Trusted Zone in Automatic Mode so I switched to Interactive and set up the network. It seems to be working right for now. We'll see how long it lasts. Wish me luck.

I have a thought as to why it works ok for a while then starts messing up later on. It might be something about updating. That's the only thing that I know of that changes on a day to day basis. Just a guess. I'm just a geek wannabe.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  24. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

yeh at first i thought it was linked to fast user switching in xp, but then it happened even from fresh bootup, also even if reinstalled..so just another bug that got ignored from the beta's
    still shocked how RC1 didnt fix any of the firewall issues.. was expecting a beta3

25. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I gave up fooling around with the Firewall in Ess. I don't have the time to babysit this app. I reinstalled 2.7 ( why did i think I needed ESS. Then I installed Look n Stop. Every thing works great now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.