Home Network Problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by stueycaster, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

Well I've had 2 updates today and the network is still working. I guess it's not because of updates.

2. stueycaster

It's been over twenty four hours now and my network is still working right :) . This is the longest it has gone without screwing up in a while. We'll see if it keeps going.

3. stueycaster

It started messing up again. This time the repair didn't fix it. I'm reinstalling version 2.7 again and I'm not going to mess with ESS until something is done about it. They asked me to send them a report about this five days ago. I sent it and haven't heard a word from them since. I keep posting everything that goes on and I still hear nothing. I'm feeling left out here. I'll keep checking to see if anything changes. I really want to use this thing but it needs to work right.

4. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

esets feedback isnt very good at all.. also they obviously dont read through most these reports.. if they do then why are all these firewall bugs that were reported in Beta1 & beta2 still present in a "release candidate"!

5. Degine

Degine Registered Member

To bad you're still having problems. After my last posts everything still works like it should. All shares show up and aren't restricted. Network stations also seem to be working now. I just hope it remains functional.

I hope you guys get the same luck sometime soon.

6. rapierau

rapierau Registered Member

I have had exactly the same problem. One machine works fine and the other doesnt. Interestingly enough one is a Nvidia Ethernet controller and the one that stuffs up is a SIS900 ethernet controller, both on XPH sp2 boxes. I have not connected my Vista U box to the network to see how it responds in a mixed network, as they arent in the same physical location.

I havent gone to great lengths to fault find this, but I too are disappointed that this problem still exists at ESS RC1 stage of development.

Please ESet fix this. Otherwise I too will have to go back to Nod32 and look at commodo. This I really dont want to do.

7. Degine

Degine Registered Member

The problem seems to have returned, more or less. Now I can see some pc's on the network and others I can't. It seems to be about 50%, 3 out of 6. :doubt: Ah well...

8. stueycaster

Obviously they're going to have to fix this before those of us who use networks can use ESS. We can't be without our network.

9. Degine

Degine Registered Member

I guess we'll have to wait untill the next update arrives.

10. stueycaster

It was over two years ago (I think) when I first heard that there was going to be a firewall added to Nod32. I didn't want to use another firewall because of problems that I had uninstalling ZoneAlarm. Besides Z/A offered no x64 support. So I've been waiting for it and relying on Windows Firewall and my router. I've always been nervous about having no outbound application control though. ZoneAlarm's outbound app control once saved me from an attempt to steal my bank info.

Maybe I should have just used another firewall but I wanted the one from ESET since their Antivirus is so awesome. Finally after waiting for about a year and a half this beta came out. I still couldn't use it though because I use XP x64 and that one wasn't ready yet. Then I finally get it and find that I still can't use it because of this network problem. Do you see why I'm getting so tired of waiting?

Sorry guys, I just needed to cry on somebody's shoulder.:'(

11. Degine

Degine Registered Member

Sorry to hear that. I guess I should be happy I got a 32-bit system. My hardware supports 64 bit, but listening to people like you has kept me from switching.

12. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

its not x64 related, as i have same problem on x86 (32bit)

13. stueycaster

I'm aware of that. I just wanted to tell my little sob story.

About the x64 vs x86 thing, I have an Xp Home license that I don't use because I like x64 so much more. I like a lean mean system.

14. stueycaster

Are there other people with this problem? If there are I think they should post a reply saying so. If ESET knows there are more than just a few of us they might take us more seriously.

15. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

just had this via email

Private email removed per the TOS. "This restricts the public posting of any private communications without the express permission of all parties involved in that communication, whether those be emails, instant message logs or any form of private messages."

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  16. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

ok lol

i heard it thru the grapevine.. that its fixed;;)

17. stueycaster

oops. Guess that was a no no huh?

That's good news. Was there any word as to how the fix will be implemented?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  18. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Can anyone acces the Internet via ICS on a home network protected by ESSo_O, because I can and I don't know why....
    What's the point in all the hard coded rules if they don't worko_Oo_Oo_O

19. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

"in the next release"

20. stueycaster

Thanks KC_

21. Mortifer

Mortifer Registered Member

I found My local network failing after installing ESS build 3.0.414.0
    I could access other peoples PC's but no one could access my shares, they kept getting an error "Not enough server storage is available to process this command."

I removed ESS and network started working , reinstalled and it started failing again,
    After a little searching on the net found its a problem with microsoft and some antivirus software , which is easy to fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177078 <- registry of the computer with unconnectable shares

I set My IRPStackSize (which wasn't there) to 15(default) and it still failed , set it to 18 and bingo my shares started working again, Maybe Eset can look at setting this in their installer.

Hope this helps a few more people

22. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

i was sent a newer version of the firewall NDIS driver (v3.0.403.0) in regards to my WPA/AES wireless problems on my laptop, which didnt fix the problem, i also tried the newer driver on this PC, and it didnt fix this network shares problem either.
    but it seems to have made my xbox360/upnp shares much more stable.
    before it would be a 50/50 chance that my xbox360 would pick up the mediaserver software (tversity)
    now its 100% everytime, works fine.

23. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

any news on this - I can access my network when I disable the firewall, but thats not an idea I really like.After conneting I can turn it on, and still can connect -wierd, but after closing vpn and starting it again - same trouble. And yes ip is in the trusted zone so no blocking of udp to 137-139 should be happening

Ruben

24. stueycaster

KC_ got an email saying it's supposed to be fixed in the next release. I'm waiting for that before I try it again. We'll see.

25. stueycaster

I couldn't wait any longer. Just like before the network works right when I first set it up. My license is only good til 11-1 so I am guessing that is the expected release date for whatever is next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.