SSM Free v2.0.0.583 and v2.0.0.584 (was Privatefirewall 5 released....)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by farmerlee, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah my mistake i didn't see win98 in your signature, woops!

Anyway you can try jetico personal firewall version 1. Its free, works on 98 and is a lot more secure than kerio 2.1.5 however as a result it is very intrusive to begin with while it learns your system.

Another alternative is kerio 2.1.5 combined with system safety monitor free. SSM covers many areas that kerio doesn't and it can even help to protect kerio.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Re: Privatefirewall 5 released

It's a good suggestion.

Get Kerio 2.1.5 at THIS link
    Kerio's support forum is HERE. When you visit that forum, you should grab hold of BlitzenZeus's setting-suggestings on THIS thread.

Get SSM free at THIS link.
    SSM's support forum is HERE

aloha... bellgamin

3. dHodges

dHodges Guest

"FL,"

Not a prob, I don't read all of the sigs either. From what I have seen most are ads for their favorite programs or their website or their favorite subject. I am not interested in just about all of those thingys. I try to run my own Puter, do take suggestions some times if the site I am on is reliable. This one is one at the TOP of the list.

Thank you for reading my posts and giving some info,

4. dHodges

dHodges Guest

Aloha! BellGamin,

What you have provided is the missing parts in just about all other posts. I send my Thanks to you as well, did not need the Kerio as I have that one now, the download of SSM just finished so I will say ALOHA! for now so I can do some FW'n.

Thank you for reading my post toasties and giving some Great information,

5. dHodges

dHodges Guest

Aloha again BellGamin,

Are we to Register on their forum before we can download SSM? Because all I managed to receive is the HELP file.

Excuse me for get this post, I just had not been reading correctly or DUMMY ME over looked the file. I have it downloading now, DUMMY,DUMMY,DUMMY.

Thank you for reading my Posts,

6. dHodges

dHodges Guest

Re: UpDate on use of SSM . . .

OK, I have the FREE version downloaded and installed. When executing the EXE file all seems to go AOK, even the HELP remains where I can read it and reference to the actual file, WRONG. Yes I may continue reading the HELP file. The Icon is in the system tray, rite click on that to get the Menu selectables and am able to select or TICK items. When I click on the 'Preferences' I get the BSOD, "A fatal exception error has occurred at 0028:C02A2824 in VXD VWIN32(05) +000012D0. The current application will be terminated."

I press any key and my DeskTop returns then nothing is accessable. I can close any open program and cannot open any, from Start Button, Quick Launch, Run, etceteras. The only way to regain my system is to Re-Boot, I use only the Cold Boot method.

What have I done wrong?

TIA,

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It's over my head. My 2 favorite super-experts on SSM are herbalist & Stem. I have alerted herbalist to your post. He replied that he would try to get over here by this evening.

In the meantime, hang loose mi amigo.

By the way, I feel that making a disk image before installing ANY security program is always a good idea. Also, making images at least weekly is absolutely THE BEST security you can ever have (short of cutting the wire to your computer).

I use Image for Windows ($39). There are several other good ones -- none of them free, however. One of the other good ones is ShadowProtect ($70).

8. dHodges

dHodges Guest

BellGamin,

Thank you for this info and for passing it on to another, GLUB, Bulg, Goggle, Yes, I am drowning in this problem. As far as I am conerned it is hyer than the edge of the Universe. Being just a user and not a programmer nor even a hacker, just work with my own system and do the best I can.

Thanks for that other info on imaging software, do not have a CDW/R nor any of that TopNotch equipment. Just an old 1998 put together with whatever I can find Puter, do have the technical knowledge that goes with being an Electronics Techy, about 60 years experience/w classroom work 4 hours/day for two and a half years. Just not any keyboard training, except the school of hard knocks and believe me there have been some knocks.

Have more questions about that SSM, will save them for the others.

Thank you for the POSTIE and for reading my Toasties,

Edited by 'd' >P.S. Neglected to mention I have made an attempt to join their forum and am awaiting their validation message. I have seen another has posted the same type of complaint. Interested in seeing if they have a solution.

9. dHodges

dHodges Guest

BellGamin,

'I' 'C' 'Y' Herbalist will B here late. He is busy on SystemsSafetyForum and will be one, if not the BEST. Also I have discovered what is going on with SSM, a direct quote from their website:

"System Safety Monitor 2.0.8.584 Free Edition was released.
    What's new:

* added Windows 2003 Sever SP2 support;"

Windows 2K3 SP2 and Win98SE are not very talkative to each other.
    Looks as though it is over for me.

Thank you anyway for trying,

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Have you tried installing version 2.0.8.583?

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

@dHodges

It would not be welcomed if SSM free is now broken with win98, I support a number of users with this OS. (most over 60yrs, and they will not change OS)
    Win98 will not support my hardware (and some programs I use), or I would still be using this OS. (I now use W2K as my main OS)

e-mail SSM for this build/version to see if this resolves your problem. (or PM me and I will upload this for you)

12. herbalist

herbalist Guest

DHodges,
    Sorry about the delay. I didn't get in until late.
    The problem is version 584 itself. Normally I update to the newest version as soon as it comes out. I missed this one. When I installed it, I get the same problem. 2.0.0.584 has a major compatibility issue with 9X systems. 2.0.0.583 works good.

I've uploaded 2.0.0.583 to rapidshare.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/33896092/ssm-2.0.8.583-free.exe.html
    Uninstall 2.0.0.584 and reboot before installing 2.0.0.583.

I'll e-mail a bug report to them since they don't seem to be looking at the bug report forum for the free version anymore.
    Rick

13. herbalist

herbalist Guest

What timing. Hi Stem.

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Rick,
    I am not happy with this break (confirmed by you) against win98. I will e-mail SSM to see if this was intentional.

15. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I just e-mailed them as well. They don't seem to be looking at the bug reports for the free version anymore. For now, I'm assuming that this is a bug and they haven't deliberately broken it. It would very much suprise me after the efforts they made to support 9X if they deliberately did that.
    Rick

16. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Rick,
    I would agree, I have posted to SSM forum (following your post) about this. My E-mail will be sent later.

17. dHodges

dHodges Guest

"FL,"

NO, I am a first time user of SSM. Do not have any other copies to fall back upon. The only one available on SysSecurity is v2.0.8.584 and that is the one I have two copies, thought maybe there had been a problem in the download so I did it again, same problem.

Thank you anyway, have other posters, Stem and Herbalist, I need to read what they have to say, if any thingy about my difficulty.

Thanks for the thought and reading my posty,

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello dHodges,
    Please remove SSM version you have installed, download/install the version linked by rick on this post, we can then look into any problems or configs needed for your setup.

19. dHodges

dHodges Guest

Hi "Rick,"

#1. You are not "sorry", you are a very good person and I appreciate your help.

#2. Thank you for the link to v2.0.8.283 as I have not found it on their website.

#3. Your not late, I was just a little early, did notice you are on their website as an Admin? You do keep busy.

#4. I had suspected that was the problem, especially after seeing what they had to say about what systems it was talking too.

#5. Will be accomplished ASAP! if I can get all of this answered.

#6. Edited by Moa! > Forgot to mention, "very good Photo of you, even have the ole bean protected from our avalanche of messages. BAG!!"

20. dHodges

dHodges Guest

Stem,

Thank you for this offer, but; Herbalist has done that and it is being downloaded as I am answering these messages. Saves you some probs as well. I will post if there are any other probs as well if there is complete success.

P.S. Edited by Moi! > Too all that have posted on MY problem, "The download just finished and I will be gone for a short or maybe a long, depending on how thingys go with the install and setup. I am not very fast with using new software have a need to learn as much as I can and to maybe get thingys RITE. It maybe even late this evening, for me, that I will be able to be back. Know I will be back, bank-on-it."

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2007
  21. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello dHodges,
    It would of been no problem at all for me to upload this for you. My main concern is for you to have SSM(free) running on your OS correctly.
    Do feel free to post any questions, that is why the forum is here, I will certainly help where I can.

Regards,

22. herbalist

herbalist Guest

No, I'm not an administrator at SSM. I'm just a beta tester.

My combat ready kitty? I love that "how dare you" expression on its face.

Ditto to what Stem said. Vendors and products aren't important. Users are. When it comes to firewalls and security apps, Stem is one of the best.

Rick

23. dHodges

dHodges Guest

I know that would not have been a problem for you, that is stating from mine, not a programmer, geek-a-zoid, hacker, etceteras just a KeyBoardJockey attending the School-of-HardKnocks. Have the lumps and bruises to prove it is a HardKnock school. My problems are not the only ones that you need to face and am very happy you have someone with which to share these tasks.

All is progressing well, have some of the processes working and need to learn some more about the other items that will be needed later on. From what I have seen so far it appears any maintenance operations would be set 'run just this once.' Instead of allowing full time acessablility. EDited by Moi! > Like ScanDisc, DeFrag, Restore any files that may have been deleted by accident.

Whew, there are many items to be aware of and decisions to make. Need to get out a color chart to keep up with all of the TXT colors and background colors. That is what the HELP file will be used for to keep up with what is happening.

Just a SHORT? note to let you know I am progressing,

24. dHodges

dHodges Guest

I guess you do not want that promotion? Anyway I saw your UserName on some of the threads there. Figured you were a little busy.

As I had mentioned to Stem, 'it is good to see you have someone else to share these problems with.' Words to that effect anyway.

Now on with the business at hand, SSM, I have had two crashes of my FF v2.0.0.3 since logging in and starting to post some of my ramblings. Started one to Mr. Blue that created this thread for me/us to discuss my problems with Win98SE & SSM v2.0.8.584/2.0.8.583 and the little grimelin Window popped up telling me FireFox had caused a problem and would be shut down. It did and I restarted FF and thank goodness they have it where it can restore the last window so I was back in finishing my message. Then when I was starting this one to you, after finishing the one to Stem, it did it again necessitating another restart (maybe I should be the "retard"). Could I have somethingy in SSM set wrong? If so what, where, how, when, whatfore, yes I ask all kinds of questions.

Edited by Me! > Neglected to post that after installing this version . .583 it did NOT prompt to restart CPU I just did it on MY own.

Thank you for reading my PosToasties,

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2007
  25. herbalist

herbalist Guest

SSM is the kind of app that will bring out the users questions. It gives the user control over things many have never thought about, let alone taken the time to understand. All of us started that way, so don't apologize for asking questions. All of us have different ranges of knowlege and experience. Stem's is quite extensive, covering many security apps, firewalls, etc on many operating systems. My experience is more limited regarding different apps, operating systems etc. There's a lot of very knowlegable people here. No matter what the question or the application/operating system, someone here most likely has the answers.

I just finished getting FF installed on my 98SE test box. So far, I can't duplicate the problem. What firewall are you presently using, and what firewalls have you had installed? What other security apps are you using? Unremoved registry entries from previous installs can also cause problems like these.

Have you had problems with BSODs or unexpected restarts before installing SSM?

What global settings are you using in SSM? These are on the options tab at the top, then the "general" and "application" tabs on the left. Did you make an allowing rule for FF or just allow it once?

I have SSM set on it's most restrictive settings, which should alert on anything FF wants to do. So far, that's nothing at all except for regular attempts to connect to Google for some reason.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.