Dr.WEB Anti-virus, Time-limited offer - February 5-28, 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Malcontent, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

your probably right firecat,

i was always curious why the beta would not work with my existing licence, if applied the spam would be 'greyed out'

so this implies they were always going to charge, well ... at least when the beta was released.

2. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Never mind. :)

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Re: Dr.WEB - February 5-28, 2007Anti-virus, Time-limited offer

Numerous off topic posts removed and ask that the discussion be confined to the thread topic Please.

Bubba

4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

You are 100% correct. A good Antivirus is a must and I have always felt DrWEB is very good but spam filtering is a nice to have but not absolutely necessary frill. Heck Mozilla Thunderbird does Bayesian filtering and it's free and my free Pop Peeper program allows me to see what's coming before downloading and delete it before troubling my email program. I'm hoping for an updated message from DrWEB saying oops we goofed and yes the update will be free for our licensed customers...:eek: :D

5. SSK

SSK Registered Member

If you don't think anti-spam is that important, then why be bothered? We don't know yet, if and how much they will charge for the anti-spam function. :)

On a different note, a renewal this month counts for a free anti-spam as well :)

6. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

So having renewed just two months ago renew again? And what about those who bought 2 year licenses recently, they are really left in the lurch. For now Panda has become my alternative...and Pop Peeper...:eek: :D If they offer current license holders a significant discount it would be a somewhat different story but we shall wait and see eh...:rolleyes: :D

7. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Correct, that's the thing to do right now, wait and see! :)

8. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

It has been known for years that DrWeb has poor or clueless Marketing department and this only confirms it. If you want to charge some fee for it repack it, bump the version number and then charge the upgrade fee.

tD

9. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

But what has to be taken into account with this is the actual cost that most people paid for Dr. Web. I know I for one got the convert price so if I were to actually have to pay for the Anti-Spam portion I might end up paying the full price, and for those who paid the full price of Dr. Web might end up paying the same price as a "main stream" antivirus application but with Spam filtering.

Just my opinion.

10. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Received this e-mail today from drweb.
    Badcompany.

Attached Files:

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

removed, failed to see Bubbas comments above. Sorry.

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Take into account that this small AV vendor nearly went under not so long ago and since this is not an in-house solution, they have to pass on some of the cost of the new licensing agreement with Goto Software. Further the present cost of the Dr Web license is low compared to other commercial AV licenses particularly with the migration fee.

As long as this AV remains a standalone product and you have the choice of whether to upgrade or not for an additional fee then I am happy as things are; IMHO, an anti-spam module is not essential.

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i totally agree its not essential to have the spam, but would still be nice for licence holders, (current) to get it free.

if they wanted money from it, put up the licence fee a little, and although it will take a bit of time, with new users coming to dr.web all the time, the money from it will come, and nobody will be slagging off their marketing capabilities :D

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the thing is antispam in suites or bundled with other secuirity software is never that good anyway so paying for that not very good antispam doesnt seem good to me.
    f-secure antispam is rubbish and so is kaspersky's and most other suites.
    i think companies should stop adding antispam to suites because they are never very good and use the isp filtering instead since its done at a server level and much better.
    lodore

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

actually there are some good ones, the beta dr.web one is v.good i must say, and so is AVG's.

im not sure which out of the 2 is better, but both catch 90+% spam

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

that is good then.
    its just in my expereince antispam in suites is genraly a last minute idea and not very good.
    i still wouldnt pay for it thou
    lodore

17. SSK

SSK Registered Member

My sentiments exactly!

18. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I emailed the DrWEB sales staff trying to get some forthcoming answers from them about this new version. I wanted to know if a version minus the Spam blocker was going to remain available for those of us with current licenses. I also asked whether current license holders would receive a significant discount if we chose to renew and what the price might be...:rolleyes: o_O :cautious: :) I will advise y'all if and when they reply...:cool:

19. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

OK I got some news back from DrWEB on the new build. No word on the renewal price yet but they will continue with DrWEB AV minus the spam filtering for those wrankled at renewing again like me...The Doctor may make a return to my other box now...:thumb: :eek: :D

20. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

For those interested in the new module, the new Dr.Web Anti-virus+Anti-spam is only $8 more than the standalone AV for a 1 year-license.

Details are here.

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

pfft,

i think, seen as ive lost over a month on my licence due to no vista version, and the countless undetected malware samples ive sent them (over 12,000) and the countless beta testing and reporting of errors, they should bloody give me it free.

or maybe thats me just asking for the impossible? :doubt:

22. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Sorry, I do not think thats possible. Even I've sent hundreds of samples to Dr.Web and got very few of them actually detected.

My advice: Please send your samples to inquiry@viruschaser.com.hk . Even if you do not use Virus Chaser, my experience is that these guys are much faster in adding samples than Dr.Web has ever been. And since detection is added to the same engine, Dr.Web will detect it as well. ;)

23. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

And for each undetected sample you'll get 1 additional month of subscription:)

C.S.J
    Just imagine: over 12000 month for free:cool:

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont like viruschaser, but sure its a thought.

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hey,

this is for the DR.WEB users,

ive been told that, tomorrow MONDAY 5th feb, dr.web will announce that the SPAM will be free for existing users, who purchased their licence BEFORE 1st February 2007.

good news eh? :D

"like my new avatar, much better eh?" :D :cool: :p

------
    i hope they mean what they say, sometimes there is a language barrier with the russian - english translation, but this is what they told me, only time will tell. :D

if they clarify it more to me, i will change this post accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.