Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dysthymia, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Off-topic response removed - the topic can be read in the first post of this thread.

2. maddin

maddin Registered Member

What about the ability to copy the boot-sector (MBR) of the hdd or the partition and restore it back if you like to?

A way would be just to give the user the possibility to choose whether he likes to backup the boot record of the partition and or the MBR of the hdd.

This would be great!

3. Jonec

Jonec Registered Member

A method of creating a "Schedule template" which can be used during installation / 1'st time setup for multiple computers.

When you create a schedule today, it will be "statically linked" to the disk-sn and part-sn, and hence the TIS file can't be reused on anotehr computer.
    The reference in the TIS file should be some sort of a variable/reference that can be reused on another computer.

Example (pulled from the TIS file):
    Code:
    <source strid="\local\hd_sign(00F200F1)\part_sn(2C953CEEA82C9573)start(63)" />
    could change into
    Code:
    <source strid="\\.\disk(0).part(2)" />
    Hence one would be able to reuse the same TIS file on multiple computers, and not only on the computer it was created.

4. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

TI9 v 3666 now reads images from spanned DVDs. It would be nice if instead of having to constantly switch disks (6 image volumes on 2 DVDs) we could just use two DVD drives, each containing one of the disks. ie vol 1,2,& 3 on drive 1 and vol 4, 5, & 6 on drive 2.

5. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Incremental and differential files labelling.

Currently there is no differentiation in labelling between the above two.
    If a differential file is created, it is called, say, AB2.tib
    If an incremetal file is created after that, TI labels it as AB3.tib

This is totally misleading. There should be some sort of differentiation between the two types of files.

6. mignacio

mignacio Registered Member

• Ability to be able to choose sector by sector image.- Very interesting for forensic purposes...

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As this is a thread to place suggestions for Acronis Support for possible implementation to their program and not meant to be for discussion....I have taken the liberty to remove a number of posts.

Repeat....this is a wish list thread not a place for discussion.

Thanks,
    Bubba

8. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Re: User's Guide

The User's Guide name and/or content should document the build(s) to which it applies since features described do not apply to all TI 9.0 builds.
    The User's Guide section 1.2 New in Acronis True Image 9.0 Home contains a list of new features, perhaps it could also document the build in which they were introduced (e.g. features such as DVD support which was not in the first build of the product).

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Clone partitions
    internal update:thumb:

10. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Add "Speed Select" to the DVD Burning tool.
    Allowing the user to choose 12x,10x, 8x, 6x, and 4x may solve the mysterious DVD Burn Failures. :D

11. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

I did not read the whole thread as it is verry long.

If Image verifications fails with an error, provide more info why it fails, e.g. if it fails on a certain directory that it cannot read, provide the name of the file or directory.

12. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

1. Ability to implement the Universal Restore to the Single Click Restore Option.
    2. Being Able to do scheduled restores with option of "automatic restart/shutdown after restore"
    3. A Zero Click restore option
    4. Ability to do Single click restore with automatic proportional Partition Resize
    5. Ability to do only byte level incremental file backups
    6. Snap restore option for just Drive C:. Leaving al other drives in normal state
    7. Universal Restore to also search for PNP drivers in the network shares instead of only the massstorage drivers.
    8. ability to generate a linux info file from a builtin menu option in de BOOTCD. Maybe even a builtin mini SMTP client to send the log instantly to Acronis
    9. Acronis TrueImage Enterprise to have it's own PXE server just like Snap Deploy 2.0 has.
    10. Ability to detect and configure wireless cards from Bootcd.
    11. Ability to convert .tib files to VMWARE disk so that a Universal Restore isn't needed.
    12. Add Single Click Restore to MediaBuilder
    13. Being Able to add media components including Single Click Restore to Image made to DVD trough Bootcd.
    14. TrueImage Enterprise Server Able to restore Mail from Exchange to live system. "BrickLevel Backup"
    15. A builtin checkdisk (BOOTCD) that can fix file system errors or even fix bad clusters.
    16. A option to FORCE image a partition no matter what errors are encountered. Sort like FORCE sector by Sector
    17. Being Able to do d2d2t (Disk to Disk to Tape) This way we do not need a other backup program to do this and can we use the tapes for recovering from the bootcd. Now with other backup software we first need to restore to disk and then restore with TrueImage because trueimage wont recognise the tape format.
    18. A simpler and More intuitive Backup Server Gui and Management Console Gui. This one can be confusing some times.
    19. A much more detailed Changelog on the download page.
    20. A full hardware compatibility list which hardware is supported
    21. Incremental Program Updates instead of Full product Updates
    22. Being Able to simple Delete Partition in Bootcd. So A lite version of Disk Director Added to the CD within TrueImage
    23. Making the Recovery Manager Folder "visible" again on the Media Builder mader ISO file. So that I can use this to create my own Multi Build Multiboot cd using EZBsystems "Easyboot"
    24. Love to see a speed meter of MB per second tranfer rate in Windows and the Bootcd
    25. Added option to Bootcd to do "acpi=off no apic" thing with the click of a button ;-)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  13. Artsi

Artsi Registered Member

Here's my little wishlist:

- Automatic product update. (like antivirus programs etc.)

14. Bruce Stock

Bruce Stock Registered Member

I'd like to see wireless network support in the Boot Environment CD. The Boot Environment seems to support wired network cards just fine, but not wireless.

Most home nets include 1 or more wireless links, and just about every laptop these days has wireless networking. The ability to restore an off-computer image via a wireless link is very helpful if the hard drive has totally failed and must be replaced and reloaded.

Although a restore image on multiple DVDs can be used, drives are getting larger and larger, requiring more and more DVDs to do the job, thus making network storage of images very desirable.

Regards, Bruce

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  15. CJHogue

CJHogue Registered Member

Acronis True Image is a superb product. The only thing that is missing for me is scripting ability to automate restores.

The ability to put a bootable CD/DVD and have it restore and image without any user intervention would be GREAT!

Thanks for listing. :)

CJ

16. bulldog356

bulldog356 Registered Member

My wish-list has one item:

Make it easier for True Image Home users to maintain a history of backups!

For example: I make a full backup of my system partition daily, and I want to maintain the most recent seven backups on the hard disk. Backup #8 will replace backup #1, becoming the new backup #1; backup #9 will replace the former backup #2, becoming the new backup #2, etc.

This also applies to data partitions. What business doesn't need to maintain a history of customer orders, for example, in the event of system problems?

All you have to do is to include a unique identifier in the name of a backup (instead of just My Backup.tib). The unique identifier might be that backup's creation date and time, for example. Then tell True Image to maintain the most recent X number of backups.

And please don't tell me to write pre- or post-backup scripts. I'm not a programmer. That's your job.

It's almost possible to do this in the Secure Zone. In the Zone, backups are automatically named with their date of creation. (If backups can be named with their date of creation inside the Secure Zone, why not outside the Secure Zone?) But here there is also a problem:

If I want to maintain the seven most recent backups in the Secure Zone, and I know that the Zone already holds six backups, how do I know if there's enough free space in the Zone to hold backup #7? I don't know...because it's impossible to know the size of a given backup in the Secure Zone! I have to manually run a backup outside the Zone solely to find out how much space it will need!

True Image Home is such an outstanding program - I'll never go back to Norton Ghost - why cripple it with this obvious weakness?

So please...both outside and inside the Secure Zone, make it possible to easily maintain a history of backups. So many other backup programs that are not as accomplished as True Image Home can do this...It's time for True Image Home to do it too.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  17. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

1. Being Able to Pause Imaging and Resume it later.
    2. When imaging for Example a C and a D drive. When C is done and D is halfway. When you cancel the backup that the archive remains and that you this will be able to image C drive backup and that D is marked as incorrupt.

18. novak614

novak614 Registered Member

This is copied verbatim from a post by BillFugina on August 18, 2004:

I would like to schedule a single back-up that occurs on schedule that would automatically keep X number of copies of the back-up, deleting the oldest backups to make room for new ones.

This is the sole feature that Ghost provides that I miss in TI. I realize that the Secure Zone does this in a fashion, but it is a feature that would be very valuable outside the secure zone. Ghost also creates the new image and verifies it before deleting the prior image. TI should definitely incorporate this feature on all its images.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  19. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I would like Acronis to publish a Change Log to accompany each future build of True image. I want to be able to decide whether to spend time downloading and installing a new build or not. A build ,such as the latest home one 3677, has been checked out by some members of this community and apparently only contains an amendment to the way schedules can be edited. Whilst this may be of vital importance for some it is probably not for many others.

20. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Absolutely agree.
    Acronis - please listen to this requested feature, it has been discussed many times in the forum.
    Would other users please add their thoughts to this thread since it appears not to be a subject the moderators want discussed in the usual TI forum (see this link: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=789140&postcount=8
    If enough users add "a simple message saying they agree with Xpilot's post" then perhaps Acronis will seriously consider the request .

21. John2222

John2222 Registered Member

I couldn't agree more!

TI9 should:
    1.) Provide # generations option for each backup definition.
    2.) Automatically suffix backup name with a numbering scheme.

Also, (as a workaround for now):
    * Invoke the batch commands AFTER the verify if complete, not only after the backup is complete.
    * Create an English-style log file (xxx.log) that can be easily accessed and reviewed and understood. Optionally write to XP system log and/or send smtp alerts of critical errors.

22. bulldog356

bulldog356 Registered Member

Acronis recommends uninstalling your existing build before installing a new build. This deletes all my existing scheduled jobs.

I wish I wouldn't have to recreate all my scheduled jobs every time I install a new build. This discourages me from upgrading.

23. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

Use Wildcards in .TIB files that I create.

24. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Off-topic post removed. Please bear in mind that this is a "wish-list" thread for Acronis here in the Acronis support forum.

25. Roli

Roli Registered Member

Directly full (read/write) Support of DVD-RAM (currently not working under W98, also not working with bootable CD and my LG GSA-4040 Writer)
    (reason: this media is more secure than DVD-RW)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.